It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2007, 03:16 AM   #1
(female)

Ang6425 HB User
Question tongue issues after tonsillectomy??

So I am now on day 7 of post op, and I am having the same strange tongue experiences as others I have read about. I have a lot of soreness and swelling in the back, which seems to gradually be getting better. I also have numbness in the front, which is also getting gradually better.

The problem I am more concerned with is that my tongue is totally white. I have tried not to brush it too aggressively cause I don't want my toothbrush to hit the top of my mouth. I just wondered if that was normal?

I am also wondering how long everyone took off work. I am supposed to go back this Sat (in 3 days) and I am not sure I am gonna be able to do it. I have been off 1 week so far.

thanks so much for taking the time to read! have a good one and speedy recoveries to all that have had proceedures!

Old 05-02-2007, 06:14 AM   #2
(female)

MistyMoo2 HB User
Re: tongue issues after tonsillectomy??

Hi,

I was off work for 2 weeks and I needed it. I felt more weak in the second week from the lack of food. I also had a very sore tongue. This was worse than my throat and at times I was unable to speak. This only got slightly better each day. I'm 5 weeks post op now, and fine apart from a very dry throat, and I feel I have small lumps on the back of my tongue. But fine otherwise!

Good luck with the recovery. You should be nearly over the worst now.

AC

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2007, 08:27 AM   #3
(female)

Ang6425 HB User

Thanks so much, Misty!

I thought I was going crazy with my tongue hurting so bad. I still can't really chew anything, but it's not as constantly sore anymore...

I really think I may need to go ahead and take another week off work. I hate to. I have already missed so much this year. I had my tonsils out because I got strep 4 times from Jan - April. I won't have any vacation time left.

Thanks for the response. I am looking forward to a big dinner more than I can express!

Old 05-02-2007, 09:02 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Tivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB User

I had my tonsils out last year and I remember very well all of the problems I've been reading here on this board! Wish I would have known about it then!

Anyway, as to the tongue pain, there is a reason why it happens and why it seems to hurt for a while after the surgery. You see, the surgery requires free access to the tonsils, so the surgeon has to get the tongue out of the way to prevent it from being harmed in the procedure. They have to manipulate the tongue rather roughly and clamp it very hard to get it out of the way. The clamp is very strong and it ends up causing some temporary damage to the tongue until it calms down from the trauma.

The result of this is the pain that seems to last for a very long time, and also the loss of taste that is experienced by so many people after the surgery.

For the most part, it's a temporary thing. In very, very rare cases it can cause permanent damage, but I wouldn't worry about it. For me, the pain seemed to last for at least a month or longer, post op. And also, the loss of taste for me started coming back very slowly but so much so that I couldn't really tell when it returned fully.

I remember that it was a very long recovery. Even after I felt better, there were still some lingering things that were annoying me about 2 months after the surgery. It takes such a long time to get over it, but once you get better, it's great! Even after all of the pain I went through and stuff, I'm still glad I had it done. I haven't even had so much as a cold since then! It's awesome!

Old 05-02-2007, 10:36 AM   #5
(female)

Ang6425 HB User

Oh, Tivo! You are a doll!

I love hearing stories that one day it will all be back to normal and I should be better than ever!

My tongue is feeling better day by day and the swelling has gone down a lot. I don't have a total loss of taste, just everything tastes weird. Different. My tongue is not pink on top at all though. It's totally white. is that part of the process?

Thank you for the kind words of encouragement.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:03 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Tivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB User

I forgot about that part of your post! I would say that if it stays white more than a few more days, you should probably call your ENT. It is possible to develop thrush after this surgery, and I think one of the symptoms might be a white film on the tongue.

Maybe just monitor it, and if it doesn't go away by Monday of next week, then call your doc and let him/her know. I think anti-biotics or anti-fungal meds are supposed to clear it up pretty quickly.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
(female)

Ang6425 HB User

Thanks! I will keep an eye on it...

Old 05-02-2007, 01:17 PM   #8
(male)

jonzr HB User

Ahhhhhhhhh..... that clears things up a bit! I meant to confront my ENT about painful bumps on my tongue after surgery. I assumed he had slipped
with his soldering iron... HA! The tongue pain was as intense as the throat.

I'm eight days into recovery from my tonsillectomy... apart from minor bleeding last night, I'm doing great. It wasn't nearly as excruciating as I had
expected. Still... I'm tired of baby food, shakes, popsicles... ice water...

Old 05-03-2007, 03:24 PM   #9
(female)

bunnycat10 HB User

Ang6425: I had the same issue of a white tongue that lasted quite awhile after tonsillectomy. I was worried it might be thrush, but the doctor said no and it didn't look like the pictures of thrush that I saw online. My tongue was extremely sore - top and back. The more I brushed tryingn to get rid of the white stuff, the worse my tongue felt, and got more sore. I found a **** on the web that someone wrote after his surgery and he had the white tongue also - said it eventually just went away. I guess that's what happened to mine also. I did, just as a precaution, mix some acidophilus powder with my food to get it right on my tongue - just in case it was a mild case of thrush/yeast. I'm 6 weeks post-op and feeling great. It did take about 1 month for my tongue to totally feel better, with the worst of the tongue pain/soreness gone by about gone by Week 3. Good Luck!

Old 05-03-2007, 05:54 PM   #10
(female)

Ang6425 HB User

Thanks, Bunny! I checked out some pictures of trush online, too, and that's not what it looks like. It sounds like I may have what you had. I have been brushing it off, bit it's really sore and my tongue is blood red underneith. It's still pretty sore on the top and the sides. The white patches are almost gone, though.

I am still not able to really eat anything. Everything feels like it get "caught" in my throat and I feel like I am going to choke all the time.

It is good to hear that in a couple of weeks I should start to see a lot of improvement. I am so hungry...

Jon - I hope you feel better soon. A limited diet is tougher than I thought it would be. I am wanting things now that I would not normally even be interested it, and I think a lot of it's just cause I can't have it. Evil games.

thanks to all!!

Closed Thread