It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2007, 11:23 AM   #1
(male)

jamesrwright3 HB User
Feeling Like Food Stuck In Throat/All In My Head?

Here is the situation.
I am a healthy 28, almost 29 year old male
No history of disease in my family that would affect my throat
About 7-10 days ago, I began to have trouble swallowing..not the actual swallowing muscles per se, but I feel like food is getting stuck in my throat..it is not obstructing my airway..it just causes me to cough...Nothing else has changed in the meantime. I went to the ER on Monday night since this has been driving me crazy..they did an xray..and there were no tumors there, but I wasn't expecting it to be cancer anyways..They ER doctor couldn't see anything at the top of my throat...

I have been trying to relax while eating, but I still feel as if small food particles get stuck in my throat..last night I had an episode where I felt as if a single bean from my chili kept getting stuck in my throat..I coughed..it didn't feel as if anything moved..I am not sure if one bean could really get stuck in the throat anyways..they were regular beans from pork and beans..
Today I felt as if particles from my protein bar, which is cookie like, kept getting stuck in my throat..I was taking small bites..

I have an appointment with an ENT on Friday. I am wondering if this is all in my head..I am prone to anxiety, but I don't feel anxious when eating. It is not as if I am tensed up..unless its subconsious anxiety? I am beginning to think I am crazy Anyone else have any similar problems?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2007, 01:46 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User
Re: Feeling Like Food Stuck In Throat/All In My Head?

You might want to look up Globus Hystericus. The feeling of having something stuck in your throat (Globus) can be caused by a couple of different things. The most common is GERD, but it can also be caused by anxiety, stress etc.

The ENT should definitely be able to help you out. Good luck!
PCOS

Old 05-04-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

aswander HB Useraswander HB User

It's likely a variant of Acid Reflux Disease. Typical Acid Reflux Disease is called GERD (Gastro-esophogeal reflux disease) and the primary symptom is heartburn. "Atypical" reflux is called LPR (Laryngo-pharyngeal reflux). A common symptom of LPR is globus, or the sensation of having something stuck in your throat. Other symptoms include chronic cough, froggy voice/loss of voice, chronic throat clearing. Sufferers may experience a single symptom or a combination of symptoms.

Standard treatment for LPR are Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs), a class of medication which reduce the amount of acid in the stomach so less escapes the esophogous and throat. These can be very very effective. Please note that LPR sufferers require 2 doses of a PPI every day, whereas GERD sufferers require one dose. The best PPIs for LPR are Nexium and Aciphex.

Diagnosis can be tricky. Much diagnosis is done indirectly - by a positive response to PPI treatment. About half of LPR sufferers will have a red and swollen larynx that is visible to an ENT via a simple in-office procedure using a laryngoscope. The doc puts a thin wire with a teeny camera at the end up your nose and down your throat to look at your larynx.

Many singergs get LPR from vocal abuse. Therefore, the doctors usually most familiar with LPR are ENTs in large cities with large vocalist populations. Go to a top university hospital in such a city, or simply visit the Acid Reflux Message Board and post a query to the other visitors asking which doctor to go to in your nearest major city.

Another related possibility is Vocal Cord Disorder. A good ENT will evaluate you for this as well.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:08 AM   #4
(male)

jamesrwright3 HB User

Here is the skinny
I went to the ENT yesterday
They did a scope, put it through my nose. made me swallow water, then applesauce, and then pudding. My swallowing actions were ok..they did see a little thrush..thought I may have a slight case of acid reflux..if I did it's very mild..they also said it could be allergies or an infection? ..
I am still having the trouble with feeling as if there is something my throat..I have been pushing myself to eat..I feel a little more confident knowing there are no tumors or blockages down there,

Now one thing I noticed is I feel like my throat muscle below my adams apple feels tired or worn..despite the fact I am not using it...its like I have worked it a bunch..I am not sure why that is the case..

Closed Thread