It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2007, 07:06 PM   #1
(female)

Ang6425 HB User
Angry interesting conversation with ENT office - help!

So, let me start at the beginning of my story. I will try to keep it as short as I can. I realize you all have lives.

The middle of Jan, 07 I got my first case of strep. In fact, it was the 1st time I'd had strep in as long as I can remember. So, I went to the dr. and got a 10 day round of antibiotics. Great. Well, probably 48 hours after I finished the antibiotics, it came back. I went back the dr, who was concerned I may have an abcess. I was referred to an ENT and was told to get in immeditately as a peritonsilar abcess is very dangerous. (here begins my story to find an ENT.) SERIOUSLY! My dr's office gave me 3 names. None of them took my insurance. I proceeded to go thru the phone book and call every ENT I could find. Most didn't take my insurance. The ones that did didn't treat tonsils. I finally found one on the other side of town and made an appointment for the next morning. I get there and he looks at me for 3 min, laughs and said if I had a peritonsilar abcess, I wouldn't be able to open my mouth. He said I had tonsillitis and gave me another 10 day treatment of antibiotics. ( i know, I know... I am supposed to keep this short.)

I got strep again 3 days after that antibiotic treatment ended and feeling a bit frusterated, I went to the ER. I was given a 21 day 2000 mg a day treatment and was told "Let's hope this gets rid of it". Well, I finished that round, and it was the end of March at that time. I felt great for about a week or 2, and then woke up one morning with a killer throat all over again. I had sores covering my tonsils within a few hours. I went to my dr and asked what was next. He said he would recommend the tonsillectomy. I called my insurance to see what their steps and requirements were. They said if your doc thinks you need it, we'll cover it. Easy enough. So I called my ENT's office back and was told the ENT I saw doesn't do tonsils. What?? Why would an ENT not to tonsils?? Besides, why wouldn't they have told me that when they saw me for the abcess a month earlier??

So he referred me to another office. I made an appt with them. I saw them. The ENT agreed I should have them out, or I will keep getting strep over and over. He did a pre op consultation that day and we made the appt for surgery. Ahhh, progress.

So, I am on day 7 of post op. I am gradually feeling better, but my tongue is feeling really sore and I still can't eat. All pretty normal, I know. I was told by my ENT they would write for 1 week off work. Well, I am supposed to go back to work Sat. and I am on the phones all day. I don't feel like I can go back yet as I am still pretty dependant on Codine every 4 hours, plus, you know, in PAIN. I called the ENT's office back today to see if they would write for another week off work. The person I talked to acted like I was REALLY milking this and there shouldn't be any reason I would need another week off. 1 more week would only be 2 weeks! I can't even tell you how insulted I was. The person I talked to said she would talk with the dr and call me back. Yeah, I never got a call. ( I called them this morning) I am going to take another week off work, but I was just amazed that I was questioned about why 1 week may not be enough recovery time!

Ok, so I didn't keep that very short at all... I apoligize and I thank those that took the time to read to this point.

I guess I am just wondering if anyone else has any similar experiences. I am also wondering if 2 weeks is too long to need for recovery.

Thanks to all!!
Ang

Last edited by Ang6425; 05-03-2007 at 09:38 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2007, 12:15 AM   #2
(female)

MistyMoo2 HB User
Re: interesting conversation with ENT office - help!

Hi,

I'm amazed you were expected to go back to work after one week. I had my tonsillectomy in Ireland 5 weeks ago, and I was told to stay off work for 2 weeks because I would feel weak. I was also told to stay indoors for the first week, and I was allowed outdoors in the second week. You have to limit your contact with people because could you imagine getting a cold or cough when your system is so low after the op? That's just not worth thinking about. Take 2 weeks off and enjoy the later part of the second week when you will start to feel more normal. Days 4-9 are the worst anyway so I don't know why your doc would only give you 1 week off. Also the risk of haemoraging is higher in the second week apparently as the scabs come off.

Take care,
AC

Old 05-04-2007, 02:29 AM   #3
(female)

Ang6425 HB User

That's what I thought, too. Thanks for the reassurance. :-) I can't wait to feel better. I am going thru, what I can only call, the "desperate" phase. I starting day 8 today and the past 3 days have definately been worse than the 1st few. When does it start to get better???

Thanks again for reading!
Ang

Old 05-04-2007, 04:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

I realize this is all in hindsight and probably not going to be any help to you now (although maybe it'll help someone out there). Did you throw your toothbrush away and get a new one after every antibiotic treatment? You might have been re-infecting yourself with strep if you kept using the same one. Our delightful health professionals sometimes forget to tell people this.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Old 05-04-2007, 06:03 AM   #5
(female)

Ang6425 HB User

Nyxie - I did. I went thru several toothbrushes. I washed all my sheets and pilowcases. I lysol'd everything I could think of. I wear a head set at work, so I cleaned it. anything I breathed on, touched. I cleaned everything with each round. My doctors were very good about telling me that.

Thanks for the thought, though...

Old 05-04-2007, 06:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

My ENT.. top notch surgeon. Recommend two weeks off and said the third I would be so wiped I would only want to work half the time. I was give a three week excuse, because I had the T&A in conjuntion with a full sinusitus roto rooter. CHILDREN who recover the quickest are told no physical activity and to stay home for ten days, due to the possibility of bleeding. Recovery is known to take longer in adults.

I am betting that the nurse/receptionist never told your ENT of your call. You have a job that requires a lot of talking this would put too much strain on your throat at this point. Demand the extra week since it is SOP in the case of... humm, let me count the 37 family members of mine that have had T&A's. The notice is no skin off of there nose just a few lines on a printed form.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 05-04-2007, 06:16 AM   #7
(female)

MistyMoo2 HB User

Ang, for me I didn't really start to improve until Day 10 or 11, and even at that I did have some times during the day worse than others, but you're nearly there. My doc told me my op was more complex because my tonsils were completely buried. They couldn't be seen at all. My GP even told me that I must have had them removed as a child! Not the case obviously. So there was a lot more muscle around the wound in my throat to get back to normal. But definitely you only have another day or two before things improve.

Good luck!

AC

Old 05-04-2007, 08:34 AM   #8
(female)

Ang6425 HB User

Thanks so much for the support! I did call the office again today and I spoke with a different person. I explained the same thing, I am on day 8 today and I am gonna need more time off work. She asked me to hang on and came back a min. later and said that would be no problem. She said to just let them know what my office needed from them and they would complete and fax the forms. Very much better conversation. I don't know who the idiot I talked to yesterday was, but I hope she doesn't normally talk to patients that way.

Also, thanks for the encouragement! I keep thinking, just a few more days! I should feel better in a few days! maybe I can eat in a few days! wonderful!

Old 05-04-2007, 12:19 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I took two weeks off from work and my coworkers thought I was milking it for all it was worth. But I lost my voice at day 4 and didn't get it back until day 10. Day 8, the nasty ear pain started. By day 12, I started being able to sleep thru the nights without being propped up or having to drink water.

The ENT wrote me a letter to give to the human resources department indicating I should take off at least two weeks. Hindsight, I should've gone for a few more days. At least I was fortunate that I didn't start bleeding. Sometimes once those scabs start coming off, bleeding can occur. That would've shown my snotty coworkers if I'd hacked up blood all over my desk

Old 05-04-2007, 09:54 PM   #10
(female)

Ang6425 HB User

Ratatosk - thanks for the response! I may just be taking it too personally, but I was really insulted that anyone would imply I am milking this at all. I'm sure you can relate. Honestly!! I wish I did feel better. I would much rather be at working feeling normal than dealing with what I am dealing with. I think it's unfair to assume you know how anyone's feeling. Escpecially for those that haven't had this proceedure done as an adult. I really didn't feel like I should have to defend myself to my doctor's office! It's not as though 2 weeks is an absurd amount of time!

So I am wrapping up day 8, and it's been another tough one. I tried to eat some fries and some bread. didn't work out too well. I am having a hard time chewing. And I swear my pain medication is only lasting for about 1/2 - 2 hours now. The other 2 hours (of the 4) are pretty rough. And I am guessing most of my scabs are off. My throat is pretty raw. Really cold ( like ice water and ice cream) are painful and luke warm is much more tolerable at this point.

Closed Thread