It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2007, 09:24 AM   #1
(male)

Detonator007 HB User
Red face 2 months post tonsillectomy - beer irritates ???

This might sound funny or heart breaking depending on your love for beer, but it has been more than 2 months post tonsillectomy and whenever I drink beer it irritates my throat and produces phlegm/mucus . . .

I NEED TO HAVE MY BEER !!

Should I had known this I would of never had it done . . .

Is this normal ? Did anyone else experience this with either beer or soda for many months after the tonsillectomy ?

Old 05-04-2007, 11:55 AM   #2
(female)

Ang6425 HB User
Re: 2 months post tonsillectomy - beer irritates ???

Oh, please don't say it's true! I am on day 8 and I don't know what I would do without soda!

There are so many things I wish I would have known going into this!

Sorry for not answering, Detonator. I don't know. I am curious, too, though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
(male)

Detonator007 HB User

I have heard some people take up to 6 months to FULLY heal, but man this is tedious . . .

And I thought I was a quick healer, I got through the worst part of the 10 days pretty fast, but some things still linger

Old 05-04-2007, 12:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I was off coffee and anything carbonated for a few months. Didn't taste good to me and it irritated the heck out of my throat, which was still pretty sensitive. This too shall pass. I pretty much just avoided it. Stopped drinking soda for almost a year.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:25 PM   #5
(female)

xKieBabyx HB User

No beer?! I don't want to go that long without my beer! Have you tried any other alcoholic drinks? I have seriously been counting down the days till I can go back out with my girlfriends and have a few drinks and now it could be possibly months?? Say it isn't so! Keep us posted on how you do with it cuz I'm curious too.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:00 PM   #6
(female)

Ang6425 HB User

My brother had his tonsils out a few years ago. He was 18. He remembers a few things, so it's been nice to chat with him about this. He said he drank Sprite as he was healing. He said it hurt a bit, but it numbed his throat and it felt better. I thought it sounded crazy, but I wanted to give it a shot. I took a SIP of Spite and I swear I saw stars! I thought I was going to pass out! It felts like acid on my tongue and throat! wowza! I felt like a big dummy and I won't be trying that again anytime soon!

Old 05-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #7
(female)

Ang6425 HB User

sorry again... computer issues...

Last edited by Ang6425; 05-04-2007 at 10:08 PM.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #8
(female)

Ang6425 HB User

Sorry... this posted 3 times. Computer issues...

Last edited by Ang6425; 05-04-2007 at 10:07 PM.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #9
(female)

helga16 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKieBabyx View Post
No beer?! I don't want to go that long without my beer! Have you tried any other alcoholic drinks? I have seriously been counting down the days till I can go back out with my girlfriends and have a few drinks and now it could be possibly months?? Say it isn't so! Keep us posted on how you do with it cuz I'm curious too.
OMG. I was going to drink next weekend.. which is 1 month after.
:O
no way SIX MONTHS.
if that's true I am going to go crazy.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:39 PM   #10
(female)

xKieBabyx HB User

Lol Tell me about it! It's my friends birthday tomorrow and I'm supposed to go out with her for drinks. Well, guess I'm stickin to water and acting as the DD (I'll sneek a sip of beer in to see what the damage is and let ya know helga16 )

Old 05-11-2007, 06:09 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Well I had my T&A October 17, 2006. My throat is still sensitive to carbonated beverages and acidic juices. I wouldn't say it is pain as much as this strong tingling that is very disturbing and takes a while to go away. It has been a good deterant of soda and thus a good weight loss aide. Now if only it made me sensitive to chocolate.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 05-11-2007, 06:55 AM   #12
(female)

xKieBabyx HB User
Talking Re: 2 months post tonsillectomy - beer irritates ???

That's a good thing to come from this too! Help me stop drinking sodas Lord knows I have needed to quit that for ages. Man, in the last 3 months, I have managed to quit biting my nails, stop smoking, and quit drinking sodas! Yeah, the latter of the 3 was not planned, but obviously a good thing. As long as I can safely have a glass of wine, I think I will manage to survive.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:56 AM   #13
(female)

sox04 HB User

hey guys,
how long did they tell you guys not to drink for? I had my tonsils out yesterday, and so far it has been amazing! I plan to ask about that at my post op visit next week but am just curious what they told you guys? My birthday is in 2 1/2 weeks and i definitely would like to have me some drinks or at least a glass of wine though i know that may be pushing it..

Old 06-01-2007, 09:28 PM   #14
(female)

JHopeP HB User

i rescheduled my tonsillectomy on purpose.... for two days AFTER my twenty first birthday..... but... umm.. now what? I guess you just have to throw them back and feel the burn.... grow a little hair on your chest.

(i'm just kidding...not drinking is healthier and cheaper, right? so maybe there is a silver lining). Anyone experiment with it... give us the good word-

Old 06-02-2007, 02:59 PM   #15
(female)

Hayley219 HB User

I'm 18 or 19 days post op (i lost count)...anyways... I had a Margarita with a good amount of tequila in it yesterday and it didn't feel any different than if I drank water. It's still a little sore but not the burn people are talking about. It may be different with beer, but I'm not a beer drinker so I'm no help there.

Closed Thread