It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2007, 10:10 AM   #1
(female)

cath1024 HB User
Question New Here with Some Questions!

Hi there,
I have been reading this board and alot of you sound like you know alot about this topic so i thought maybe someone could help me out abit!

About a year ago i had this aweful brown sometimes clear sometimes yellow mucous in the back of my throat that i had to keep gross i know but i had to snort to get it lower in my throat so i could hawk it up if you know what i mean.
Dr diagnosed me with rhinitis (sp) and gave me some nasal spray.

Now ever since i still have the thick stuff in the back of my throat and still have to do the snort hawk thing several times a day.

I also have this feeling and sound of fluid or mucus moving inside my head or ears cant tell where it comes from! This is only when i move my head side to side its like a crackling sound.

Dr checked my ears and said no fluid is present ... went to another dr and they said no fluid in my ear but could be something to do with my Eustachion tube not allowing the fluid to drain out because its thick .... now from what i have been reading it says the dr can tell if there is fluid in the inner ear so why is this dr saying theres no fluid and then saying there could be fluid trapped in the inner ear?

I am just afraid of what this cracking sound of fluid moving around is!

any ideas?

Hope to hear some replies!

Thanks
Cathy

Old 05-07-2007, 10:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: New Here with Some Questions!

The MD can only tell if there is fluid in your ears if it is such a level to be visible through the ear drum. However if the fluid level is closer to the other end of you ear tubs.. i.e. at the entrance from your inner ear into your sinuses you will not see the fluid through the ear.

Your case sounds like PND.. and allergic rhinitus. I would look into seeing an allergist and get more to treat the problem.. if there is a physical issue.. the allergist will point you to an ENT for the fix. Needless to say in conjuntion with your nasal spray you should be using an anti-histamine/decongestant combination and a saline spray (Simply Saline is the one of choice for my family) to keep things moist and flowing.

Sincerely,
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2007, 11:43 AM   #3
(female)

cath1024 HB User

Thank you for your reply!

The ENT dr i went to looked in my ears with that little hand held thing they use and said no fluid and then made me do a hearing test and said that would tell for sure if there was any fluid in my ears.
The hearing test was fine ... thats when he said to see my dentist which i did and he said it wasnt anything to do with my jaw.

It was my family dr who said there could be fluid trapped in my Eustachion tube.

What is PND? and do you think it is fluid i feel moving around in my head?

Old 05-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

PND - post nasal drop.. drainage flowing down the back of the throat.
Sincerely,
MG

Closed Thread