It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2007, 03:00 PM   #1
(female)

xKieBabyx HB User
Question Descabbing after tonsillectomy

Well, I'm on day 7 now and am actually feeling pretty good compared to the last week. I'm a little nervous though about losing the scabs on the back of my throat. The entire back of my throat is white where the tonsils were removed, and I am assuming that the white stuff is actually the scab. I've heard that they usually come off around day 5, and I don't think I've started losing them yet. I've heard that when they come off that it gets extremely painful all over again. How late can I expect them to start sloughing off? Guess I'm just a little scared and would like to know what to expect. Any advice would be great! Thanks

Old 05-07-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
(female)

Ang6425 HB User
Re: Descabbing after tonsillectomy

I am on day 11 today. I know I was really concerned about the scabs coming off, too. I was terrified of bleeding. I have very little scabbing left at this point. I remember on days 6,7,8, and 9, the scabs came off the most. I coughed a lot as the ones in my throat came off. I felt like I was gagging and it was pretty painful. I never did have any bleeding to speak of, though. On day 11, I am still not able to eat any food, but the pain is not as constant. I am still struggling to swallow enough water to stay hydrated. I did start drinking slimfast to get some vitamins and nutrients. The other big thing about losing the scabs is that cold things HURT! The first few days cold was very soothing. I can really only do lukewarm stuff right now.

I wish you the best of luck with your recovery!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2007, 06:48 PM   #3
(female)

xKieBabyx HB User

Thanks Ang6425 for your reply It's really good to hear that you didn't have any bleeding to speak of! I've been terrified about that. It's really gross to think about, but I actually hacked up my first piece of scab tonight (GAG!!!) That is some nasty stuff for sure. I did notice how in that one spot, cold stuff really hurts. I'm sticking to warm tea for now. I really hope it doesn't last too much longer. Keep me posted on your recovery! It really helps to kind of know what to expect. Thanks again!

Old 05-10-2007, 10:14 AM   #4
(female)

helga16 HB User

Mine came off mainly on days 8 and 9.. maybe even 10.
it wasn't THAT bad.. but yeah I would cough a lot.. which hurt a ton.. but I never actually coughed the scabs up :S
I read somewhere to eat foods on those days so you can like scrape them off.. so that's what I did.. I had buttered toast on day 8. it was amazing.
and it didn't hurt too badly

Old 05-10-2007, 01:35 PM   #5
(female)

xKieBabyx HB User
Thumbs up Re: Descabbing after tonsillectomy

Yeah, I actually forced myself to eat solid food to scrape off that stuff too. Pizza was wooooonderful if I took little bites and chewed till it was almost liquid lol I know not all of the scabs are gone, and I'm now on day 10, but I have noticed that they're not coming up into my mouth, which I am OH so thankful for. I guess I'm swallowing them? (not sure which is worse lol YUCK!) It's honestly not been all that bad. I've had absolutely no bleeding, but I have noticed that cold things hurt pretty badly, so I'm sticking to room temp or warmer. I'm not having to take my pain meds as regularly either. It's honestly not been nearly as horrible as some say it's been for them. The pain isn't even close to as bad as it was on days 1-5ish or so. Keep up the good recoveries guys and thanks for all your advice!

Old 05-16-2007, 10:30 AM   #6
(male)

JoseinMiami HB User

I'm on day 7 and the scabs are starting to come off. However, I don't cough so they come off when I drink water or eat, but the weird thing is that I get a burning sensation in my stomach when a scab falls off. Does anyone else feel that?
No major bleeding so far. I had some red spots here and there, but nothing major.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:48 PM   #7
(female)

sox04 HB User
hey, I'm also on day 7 and I've noticed some of the scabs coming off too. They seem to go little by little. I have been coughing too, I thought it was just a dry cough, but now that I think about it, its probably when they come off, although I havent actually coughed any of them up. I've been eating ok, but nothing that is too hard because I am nervous I'll cause bleeding. Does anybody have a funky taste/smell in their throat? I feel like its getting yucky back there and just want all the scabs to come off already! Take care

Old 05-16-2007, 03:56 PM   #8
(male)

JoseinMiami HB User

Sox,
Today (Day 7) was the worst day for me. Last night I experienced pain like never before, and today all day the pain in my ears has been constant. I was doing so good. I was up and about, going to the store, helping take care of our 14 month old, and even doing some work from home, but the pain started last night at around 9:00 pm.
Did you have a bad day like that? It is a part of the healing process, but some people feel it earlier than others.

I hate the metallic taste in the back of my throat. I noticed it the second day, but it got worse today.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:08 PM   #9
(female)

sox04 HB User
Jose, I haven't had a day thats been horrible with ear or throat pain. My worst day so far was with headaches, but I think it may have been from my pain meds. We had ours done on the same day, so we're pretty close with our healing I'd assume. I'm hoping that I don't have a horrible night with the ear pain. This morning I woke up and my ears hurt more than they had at any point so far, but it went away after I took tylenol. It's mostly when I yawn. I'd have to say (knocking on wood), that my recovery has been amazing considering everything I've heard. At no point so far has this been worse than some of the sore throats that I've had with my tonsillitis.. and the taste for me isn't quite the metallic taste everyone talks about, its just kinda funky haha. yuck. and chocolate is the only thing that doesn't taste right so far. Hopefully that will change though!!!

Old 05-16-2007, 07:02 PM   #10
(female)

nervouspatient HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseinMiami View Post
Sox,
Today (Day 7) was the worst day for me. Last night I experienced pain like never before, and today all day the pain in my ears has been constant. I was doing so good. I was up and about, going to the store, helping take care of our 14 month old, and even doing some work from home, but the pain started last night at around 9:00 pm.
Did you have a bad day like that? It is a part of the healing process, but some people feel it earlier than others.

I hate the metallic taste in the back of my throat. I noticed it the second day, but it got worse today.
Jose I have terrible ear pain as well... it's worse than my throat pain at the moment! The BEST thing to do is get a wheat bag and microwave it for 2 minutes and hold that to your ear... it's been the only thing that has got me through.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:23 PM   #11
(male)

smblkc HB User

I really sympathize for all of you.... I had my tonsils taken out in 2004 when I was 27. On day 5, I woke up to blood pouring out of my mouth. Apparently, the scabbing came off a little too early, and I had to get the area re-cauterized.

Just have faith in the fact that your health will probably increase substantially. I wish everyone luck!

Old 05-17-2007, 05:33 AM   #12
(male)

JoseinMiami HB User

Is it just me, or does the pain increase as the scabs come off???
I can't swallow anything right now.
How long should I expect this to go on? Its been 36 hours already.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:22 AM   #13
(female)

xKieBabyx HB User
Smile Re: Descabbing after tonsillectomy

Hey all I'm on day 18 now and doing great. I still have a little pain in my throat, but I havn't needed to take my pain meds for about 5 or 6 days now. I eat throat lozenges like candy though, especially at night. I would highly recomend using a humidifier while you sleep. I havn't used one, and I notice my throat pain is worse in the morning, after drying out all night. My experience with the descabbing was not a bad one. It hurt pretty badly, but I had no bleeding and never really noticed the scabs coming off. Went back to the ENT on Monday, and he said I should be completely back to normal in about 2 more weeks. Jose, I have read where some people have had more pain when the scabs come off, so I think it's pretty normal, as much as it sucks. The ear pain is also part of it. Sorry you are having such a horrible time. I know it seems like it will never end, but I promise it will! Don't forget to drink water all the time. If you let yourself get dehydrated the pain will become worse, and you have a higher chance of bleeding. Take care and keep your chins up!

Old 05-17-2007, 07:24 AM   #14
(female)

xKieBabyx HB User

OH! And I also recomend using an ice pack on your throat and under your ears. That was a LIFE SAVER for me! It helps keep swelling down, and also helps your ears to feel so much better. Happy recoveries!

Closed Thread