It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
(male)

caliguy HB User
I think my swallowing pattern / tongue position is wrong, what can I do?

I've had a few problems in my mouth and jaw over the last few years, have been diagnosed with TMJ and I had my bottom molars out which caused me a lot of pain in my mouth for a long time as I got dry sockets.

When I swallow now it seems that my tongue kind of slips around, its hard to make it go straight up and back the way it is supposed to. Its not a major problem in that I can still eat and drink without choking but it makes things very awkward for me most of the time and I would really like to find some resources online that I can use to work on this problem, such as tongue exercises.

I am considering going to a speech or oral therapist of some sort for this but if I could find some things to work on first online that would be best. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2007, 05:58 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

julyg HB Userjulyg HB User
Re: I think my swallowing pattern / tongue position is wrong, what can I do?

My personal experience with a speech therapist was quite rewarding because they correct the mistakes you are doing, and a computer cannot!
Unless you get a video online of how to, I would say forget it.

Example: worked with therapist for 1 hr and they give you 2 sheets of exercises.

You do not get a video of how to do the exercise, but you practice with your therapist. Now you go home practice on your own. Go back to therapist following week to discover you have been doing things a "little wrong".

Imagine trying to read these exercises with no correction. You may make things worse!

I suggest you go for speech therapy. Very helpful for swallowing, eating and speech.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2007, 08:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: I think my swallowing pattern / tongue position is wrong, what can I do?

Dito on the speech therapist.. sounds like a tongue thrust. I had one it took until I was fifteen to get it straighten out.. and I still have to be aware of my eating and swallowing.

Sincerely,
MG

Closed Thread