It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2007, 06:05 PM   #1
(female)

nervouspatient HB User
The up side of having a tonsillectomy...

I am going in for the op tomorrow... initially it looked like it was going to be on the 18th so I'm glad to get it over and done with.

I'm very nervous about it and the pain afterwards but I've come up with a positive slant on this...

WEIGHT LOSS!

I am current pretty badly overweight and have been doing weight watchers and working out at the gym for the past five months and it's slowly coming off (I've lost about 7kg so far... slow and steady). I haven't been able to do much lately because I've felt crappy so I've been kinda frustrated... but the kind of weight losses that people here have been reporting make me smile I know it's not a good way to lose weight and I know I'll put some of it on again... but I ain't complaining! My problem is I love the taste of food so much... so if I can't taste it I won't want to eat it!

Lol I'm glad there is one plus side... because my 21st birthday is on 24 May and I'm supposed to be going to Sydney for my birthday and a cousins wedding on the 26th... all cancelled

Old 05-08-2007, 10:06 PM   #2
(female)

Ang6425 HB User
Re: The up side of having a tonsillectomy...

Oh, I'm sorry you have to cancel your trip. This is definately a birthday you won't forget, though.

I am on day 12 and I am still pretty sore. Now I don't say that to scare you, I just want you to know that it's very important to take it easy and not expect anything to happen too fast. I hope you have a nice and easy recovery!

I am overweight, too. I literally haven't eaten anything more than Jell-O and some cream of wheat. Today I branched out and ate mac and cheese, but I was only able to get down a few spoon fulls. I don't weigh myself all that often, so I am not sure how much actual weight I have lost. I love food, too and my stomach has been growling for the past 12 days. I can't even tell you how badly I want to sit down and enjoy a big dinner! The other thing that really stinks is that my taste buds seem to have been affected. Nothing tastes the same to me anymore. From what I understand, that should go away with time. I definately wasn't prepared for any of this, though. I found this site after my surgury. You are already ahead of the game. You are more prepared.

Again, my dear, good luck to you!! Hang in there and keep looking for the light at the end of the tunnel!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2007, 04:49 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Tivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB User

I lost about 15 lbs during my recovery. But unfortunately when I started eating normally, not only did I gain it back, but I gained back even more! So the weight didn't stay off, unfortunately.

But hey, if you think you might be able to use that weight loss as a springboard to keep it off and keep losing, then more power to ya! I hope it works out for you! Good luck!

Old 05-10-2007, 12:52 AM   #4
(female)

nervouspatient HB User

Well I just had it done this morning... back home now and not feeling as groggy as I was expecting. My throat is sore, but what else should I expect :P Lol.

Fortunately my sense of tase hasn't gone (get). Mum's had me chewing grape hubba bubba... highly recommended

Closed Thread