It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007, 11:27 AM   #1
(female)

margie68 HB User
Procedure for swollen lingual tonsils

Hi. I have had a dull pain in the right side of my neck for over a year. Recently, my ENT discovered that my lingual tonsils were swollen and the right side is more swollen than the left. This is what is supposed to be causing my neck discomfort. CT scan shows the same with no foreign bodies evident.

My ENT wants to biopsy the lingual tonsils which I am all for. While he's there he wants to cauterize them saying this should take down the swelling. He said this is not a difficult procedure but not very common. Even though it's not difficult, I would have to stay overnight for the procedure in case my airway swells shut which is a possibility within 24 hours of the surgery.

Has anyone ever had this procedure or know anything about it? If so, can you share your experience?

I have very bad acid reflux and suffer especially from nighttime reflux. I am currently exploring doing some sort of endoscopic suturing to my esophageal sphincter to see if this will keep the reflux under control. Should I wait until I have this done to see if the reduction in acid in my throat makes the swelling of the lingual tonsils go down by itself?

I'm very unfamiliar with the lingual tonsils despite doing as much research as possible so am wary about having them cauterized. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:01 PM   #2
(female)

margie68 HB User
Re: Procedure for swollen lingual tonsils

Well, I have decided to skip the surgical cauterizing procedure on my lingual tonsils and just get the biopsy for now. There's just not enough information about the surgery for me to make a sound decision. I'm hoping the procedure I have done to get the reflux under control will keep the acid out of my throat and, hopefully, the swelling of the tonsils will go away. I hope!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User
Re: Procedure for swollen lingual tonsils

Margie, if your out there. Did this help? I have a swollen lingual tonsil on the right side. Don't know what is causing this. I'm going to the ENT on Tuesday, but am very scared it's cancer.

Closed Thread