It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007, 12:18 PM   #1
(female)

megkath23 HB User
adenoids?

One more question...

As silly as it sounds, I'm not sure if I'm getting my adenoids removed as well when I get my tonsils out next week. I went to the ear nose and throat doctor for problems with my tonsils, but never asked if my adenoids were coming out as well. Is it pretty common to get them both removed? Or are they only removed if there is a significant problem with the adenoids? I've had pretty bad problems with my sinuses for as long as I can remember, and I'm starting to wonder if having my adenoids removed would help this at all?

Old 05-10-2007, 07:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: adenoids?

Well at your age you may or may not have adnoids.. tehy are supposed to atrophe (sp) with age... shrink up to nada. During your tonsillectomy they will inspect your adnoids and remove any and all remaining tissue.. standard operating procedure. At 31 they removed my adnoids which were joked about belonging to a twelve year old in conjunction with my tonsillectomy and sinus surgery.

My son had his adnoids out at the age of 2 and 2 months it didn't slow him down. If you follow the ideas in the LisaMP's post you should do fine. In addition use saline nasal spray at least four times a day to keep your sinuses and adnoid sights moist.. otherwise HEADACHE from Hades. My son and I used simply saline (non-decongestant variety) through out the day as needed and Ayr Nasal Saline Gel at night. As far as a time line for recovery, you should recover a bit quicker than those 25 and older. There is a hormone shift and tonsil embedding that takes place and can make it a little rougher on you when you get older.

You will do gret and the pain doesn't really start kicking in until day 3-5.. days 7-10 tend to be the worst.

Sincerely,
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2007, 07:59 AM   #3
(female)

ANR1286 HB User

I just got my TNA out last Tuesday! They usually do both tonsils AND adnoids. Adults really don't need their adnoids anyway, and sometimes they shrink and disappear in some. It doesn't hurt, and they don't even need stitches or anything! If you see a little bit of blood coming down your throat, don't worry. I freaked out and the doctor told me it was just because I was healing slow and it's the scab that's coming off.

If you can, I would HIGHLY suggest coblation. It was fast, and I didn't have too much pain afterwards! Most people claim it's like 'one case of really bad strep throat' but mines wasn't even that bad. Hope this helps. If you want to know anything else about it, just message me

Old 05-22-2007, 11:27 AM   #4
(female)

littlemama1016 HB User

My daughter, who is 8 is getting her adnoids out on Friday. The ENT said it is no big deal, about 20 minutes total procedure. They go in through the mouth, so no stiches and the only side effects are a little hoarseness fand bad breath for the first few weeks. I'd be more than happy to post a progree report on my daughter and maybe that will help. I'm hoping my husband will get his adnoids checked since he snores so loud, you'd probably hear him across the country! LOL! Good luck!

Closed Thread