It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2007, 05:47 AM   #1
(female)

megkath23 HB User
day 2...absolute hell! help

Hi everyone-

I had my tonsils out yesterday around 2 pm, and was released from the hospital around 5:30 pm. I got home and felt great- absolutely no pain. I was thrilled and surprised because I had been expecting the worst. I drank three large glasses of ice water and even ate an applesauce and a jello. I woke up this morning and it's a completely different story- I'm in the worst pain I've ever felt. My uvula is extremely swollen and I feel like I'm going to swallow my scabs everytime I have to swallow. I'm probably just being paranoid, but this isn't possible, right? The nurse told me that I will eventually get used to the odd feeling of having the scabs on my throat but I don't even want to swallow because I fear that they are going to come off too early. I plan on sleeping as much as possible today and I'm counting down the minutes until I can take my next dose of pain medicine. I hope I can get some feedback about the scabs..thanks everyone!

Meghan

Old 05-16-2007, 06:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: day 2...absolute hell! help

You have to drink the water and keep your scabs moist.
No water for long periods.. dry scabs == PAIN.

Keep swallowing the cold stuff. Also keep cold presses and packs on your throat. Application of ice internally and externally will help manage you pain and the swelling.

You slept your first night through? I wish that was the case for me.. I was awake for the initial gory 48 hours and barely slept in more than 45 minute bursts for days after that..

Your issue is mostlikely that the scabs dried out while you slept and snored. Trust me you will snore while you are recovering from this.. and it will be a solid snore, thanks to the swellingof the uvula. Look into setting a timer to wake up and drink ice water.. also look into Ayr salin nasal gel and simply saline nasasl mists to keep things moist and resist the dry out pain.

If the swelling becomes too painful and you can not swallow at all. Call your ENT and look into get a steriod shot. It will knock out the swelling due to pain with in 8 hours. Hopefully your MD gave you a script for low dose oral steriods. The less you drink the worse it will be. Keep your head and fight through it. I know it sucks, but it will be over soon.

Sincerely,
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2007, 08:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: day 2...absolute hell! help

Just keep your throat moist by constantly drinking water, sucking on ice. I carried around a glass of ice chips and glass of tepid water for the first few days or so. I felt GREAT the first day 'cuz the ENT actually painted the back of my throat with some sort of topical pain killer. So I was thinking -- hey, this isn't so bad. But then I'd start waking up in the middle of the night/middle of napping 'cuz my throat would be soooo dry and sticky.

A couple of nights I doused my poor husband with water in the middle of the night. I'd grab the glass of water off the nightstand, take a drink and fall back asleep, only to be awakened by a shout.

I also kept a bag of ice on my throat for the first few days, too.

Closed Thread