It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2007, 07:27 PM   #1
(male)

panthers78 HB User
Can I take Prilosec and an antacid?

Just wondering if I can take an antacid between meals or before I go to bed to try to supplement the prilosec.?

Old 05-17-2007, 11:46 PM   #2
(male)

Pillbox HB User
Re: Can I take Prilosec and an antacid?

Hrm I dunno that probably has different effects on different people. I was taking prilosec as the doctor ordered but it was way to much for me. I only weigh 115 and it was making me feel really horrible. I stopped taking it and within a day I felt fine. You might could try it and see what happens. But I'm thinking taking an antacid and the prilosec together is really gonna cut your acid supply way down and you will end up feeling like dog poo too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2007, 08:12 PM   #3
(female)

*Nicola HB User

You cant take prilosec with an antacid because prilosec is an antacid

Old 05-20-2007, 02:00 PM   #4
(female)

margie68 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthers78 View Post
Just wondering if I can take an antacid between meals or before I go to bed to try to supplement the prilosec.?
Yes, you can take an antacid to supplement Prilosec. The antacid provides fast, short-term relief by either neutralizing or absorbing excess stomach acid. Prilosec is a proton pump inhibitor and works differently from an antacid...it shuts off acid producing pumps and is supposed to prevent the over-production of acid.

But if you're taking Prilosec and it's not controlling your symptoms well enough, you might want to check in with your doctor to make sure you're taking the proper dosage. Also, if you have a lot of problems with acid at night (like I do) you might want to consider an H-2 receptor blocker like Ranitidine which is faster acting than Prilosec and provides longer lasting relief from acid-related problems than an antacid.

Lastly, are you taking the Prilosec correctly? For PPIs like Prilosec to be effective they need to be taken on an empty stomach (about 2 hours after the last time you ate) and at least 30 minutes before you eat again.

Closed Thread