It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2007, 01:14 PM   #1
(female)

curlyqz HB User
Post Tonsillectomy problems

Hi, I am 5 weeks post op and didn't have much problems with the recovery. I had very little pain, but then the descabbing took 4 weeks. When the scabs were all gone I started having problems with my uvula. It is dangling so low that it hits my tongue and causes me to gag quite often during the day. My throat is also constantly irritated and gets quite sore at times.
Has anyone else experienced this?

Old 05-18-2007, 05:06 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Tivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB User
Re: Post Tonsillectomy problems

I had my tonsillectomy over a year ago, but I do remember that I had some sore throat problems for a while afterwards, but I realized it was mostly when my throat got dry. You really have to keep drinking a ton of water and keep yourself as hydrated as possible, I mean you should do that anyway, but especially for people after tonsillectomy. I noticed that my throat would always get sore if it got too dry. I think chewing bubble gum helped too because it kept my throat moist with saliva.

It's a living adjustment because before you had tonsils, you always had them there keeping your throat kind of moist. But now they're gone so the dry air that you're exposed to throughout the day is more likely to cause problems.

As for the uvula problem, I'm not really sure about that. While I had a gross uvula after the surgery, once the descabbing was over, I think it was pretty much normal again. You might want to call the ENT and ask about it.

The problem I'm dealing with now, since my tonsils are out, is major post nasal drip. I felt it before my tonsils were out, but now it's like on hyperdrive and it's a daily annoyance for me to constantly clear my throat. That's the part that it still a problem for me, even over a year post-op. Don't know what to do about that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2007, 07:11 PM   #3
(female)

curlyqz HB User
Re: Post Tonsillectomy problems

Thanks Tivo for answering my post.
I called the ENT and have an appointment for Tuesday, hopefully he can resolve the uvula problem.

As for post nasal drip, I have that also, but not so bad now that the tonsils are gone. My ENT suggested I try a sinus rinse by NeilMed daily for the post nasal drip and it seems to help. You might want to give this a try, I hope it works for you.

Closed Thread