It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2007, 11:01 PM   #1
(male)

ucla187 HB User
Puffy Cheeks

I had one wisdom tooth takin out just over a week ago, and my face was more swollen than usual. Since the idea of puffy cheeks and swollen glands was on my brain, I was looking at some pictures taken of me a couple months ago and my cheeks looked extremely big and puffy. It didn't seem right...because I am actually underweight and while my face was never gaunt, it was far from heavy or overweight. I checked a couple pictures of me a while back (6 months, and a year ago) and my face seemed normal. It's hard to tell from a pic or two, but comparing those ones to more recent photos and theres is a noticeable difference.

I had been reading that people with bulimia who are purging several times a week damage their parotid gland, which causes puffy cheeks. How does this apply to me? I am not bullimic, but I did have some anxiety issues which caused me to vomit around once a month or so. Not a lot I know, but more than average I'm sure. I'm worried that I might've done damage to these glands perhaps?

Of course I saw a doctor about this issue, and I mentioned that I had gained a few pounds in the last 6 months. However, it was only like 5 pounds, most if not all of it are muscle gains rather than fat. My body fat % is less than 10%...She said that I am just 'filling out'. While maybe partially true, I know that 'filling out' 5-6 pounds does not mean enlarged, puffy cheeks. In regards to the vomitting issue, she mentioned how pregnant women probably vomit much more than I was...so that was not a concern. That eased my worries a little bit, but I KNOW that my cheeks have gotten puffier one way or the other and I'm not sure why. I felt like I was brushed off like I was a 10 year old "everythings gonna be alright, you have nothing to be worried about" as opposed to having my concerns legitimized (she was a very nice person, however). If necessary, I will post pics of myself within the past few months and compare them to a couple pics long ago and you will see a noticeable difference...lol

Is there any possible explanations to this? Will it just go away in time? Should I see another doctor except print off pictures as proof for my swollen cheeks?

Last edited by ucla187; 05-18-2007 at 11:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread