It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2007, 04:45 PM   #1
(male)

Detonator007 HB User
Arrow Post Nasal Drip after tonsillectomy ??

I'm almost fully recovered from my Tonsillectomy on Feb 20th, but I keep feeling Post Nasal Drip that I never had (or felt I guess) before this procedure.

I'm guessing some tissue needs time to heal, but I wonder how many of you had this symptom and if it ever just healed ?? Any tips on what I can due to lessen it ??

I don't think it is and infection as it is just clear mucous, I just would like it to stop as it is bothersome and does irritate at times . . .

Old 05-20-2007, 06:06 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Tivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB User
Re: Post Nasal Drip after tonsillectomy ??

Hate to tell you this, but my Post nasal drip got worse after my tonsillectomy. It's been over a year since I had mine done and it is a daily problem for me. It annoys me so much that I'm constantly having to cough in the morning and clear my throat in the morning, and literally every time I swallow, I feel it at the back of my throat.

I haven't found any way to fix it. And I've tried all of these nasal sprays and stuff, and it's really annoying.

So I'd like to hear if anyone has any suggestions, too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
(male)

Detonator007 HB User

Arghhhhhh, not good to hear that . . .

Was a tonsillectomy all you had done ?

My ENT also reduced my turbinates, but Im not sure which could be causing the drip.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:36 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

I only had a tonsillectomy. Looking back on it, I wish he would have taken out the adenoids too, because I've been convincing myself that since they're still there, they are causing the problem. But I have no idea.

I don't know whether the tonsillectomy caused it because I had PND before, but after I had them out, I just noticed it a lot more. And when I say that I have to deal with this annoyance every day, I mean EVERY single day! It really bugs me and I'm sick of it, but at least I don't have to deal with my tonsils anymore.

But still, if I could find a way to stop the PND then I'd be really happy! I'm so tired of it!

Old 05-21-2007, 11:58 PM   #5
(female)

MistyMoo2 HB User

Hi,

I had a tonsillectomy 8 weeks ago, andI had some PND before the op, but it has got worse since the op. How can I reduce the effects of this, and will it ever go away or is further surgery required?

Thanks,
AC

Old 05-22-2007, 04:36 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

As I posted already, my PND got a lot worse after the tonsillectomy and I still haven't been able to do anything about it. My tonsillectomy was over a year ago and I'm still having problems! To answer your question, I don't think it's ever going to go away or get any better, at least it hasn't for me and I have no idea how to fix it!

Old 05-22-2007, 06:31 AM   #7
(female)

MistyMoo2 HB User

Hi,

Does anyone know if there's any cure for post nasal drip??

Thanks,
AC

Old 08-26-2007, 07:49 PM   #8
(female)

octopus128 HB User

Today is my 20th day after my tonsillectomy and I have constant mucous in my throat that I have to keep spitting out! I guess this is "Post-nasal drip," I never had it before so I didn't really know what it was until now. It is extremely inconvenient and uncomfortable. I took a walk today and had to keep spitting while walking, luckily it was on a trail so no one was around. I probably had to spit about 10 times in a matter of 30 minutes!! It just dawned on me that this could be here to stay, and when I looked up this message board your posts confirm this! I kind of thought that the mucous was present because my scabs were healing and that it would eventually disappear but after 20 days it's worse than ever! It might be this mucous that is causing a terrible taste in my mouth as well, metallic, nothing tastes the same and I think it's causing bad breath! Ugh! While I am glad I got my tonsils out as they were severely infected and "cheesy", I never imagined this would be a side effect! I really wonder why it happens? Does anyone have a medical explanation?

Closed Thread