It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2007, 05:45 AM   #1
(female)

Lauren_x HB User
Smile 28 days post tonsillectomy

hey guys I just wanted to tell my story to let you know that no matter how bad you feel right now there is light at the end of the tunnel.
I am 16 years old and I had my tonsillectomy on 23rd april the actual operation day was a breeze apart from having a lot of pain as I woke up from the op but that passed after they gave me morphine.

Days 2 and 3 were so easy I thought I was going to get away with an easy recovery. I had hardly any pain, eating a normal diet and felt really good.

Day 4: I woke up at around 5am and felt like my throat was on fire. it was throbbing painfully and it felt like it was 10 times its normal size. My ears were aching a lot and I couldn't yawn or sneeze. I didn't want to eat anything solid so I lived on soup and noodles for the next few days.

Day 6: The pain was still the same as it had been for the past few days except for sharp pain which I realised was de-scabbing pain,but towards the end of the day I noticed a trickle of blood on the tonsil bed. My mum phoned the doctor who told me to come see him. He said it was fine and didn't look infected and as the bleeding had stopped to just go home and relax.

Day 7: More bleeding tonight so I went to the A&E at the hospital. They said I had an infection caused by not eating properly and kept me in giving me IV antibiotics. They also told me that if you eat a proper solid diet then you don't get de-scabbing pain as the scabs don't get a chance to build up on the back of your throat and that any bleeding is not normal and should be checked out.

Day 8: I got discharged from hospital with a truck load of antibiotics and strict instructions to eat hard, sharp food at every mealtime. Funny thing was I realised that i had hardly any pain and wasn't needing to take pain relief.

Days 9-13: These days were amazing. I had virtually no pain and no signs of bleeding and my throat looked like it was healing really well.

Day 14: After having such a good few days previously I was in for a shock when I started bleeding again today so it was back to hospital. Yet again I had an infection so I was put on more antibiotics. I got upset today thinking it was never going to heal and I was going to be back and forth to hospital.

Days 15-28 These days passed relatively slowly. I was constantly examining my throat checking for bleeding but so far so good. My ENT doctor said I'm unlikely to bleed after 28 days so hopefully thats it. My throat looks pretty good now. I still panic if it looks a bit red as though its going to bleed.

While I was going through this it felt like it was never ending and the pain or bleeding was never going to stop so I just want to let those of you going through it now that it does pass and it does get better.
good luck to everyone going through it at the moment x

Last edited by Lauren_x; 05-21-2007 at 05:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
(female)

Purplehazey83 HB User
Re: 28 days post tonsillectomy

I'm on day 10 after my tonsillectomy and my recovery has happened exactly the same way that your's has so far, even down to what happened on what particular day!

So you can imagine my concern that it is poosible to bleed again!! I just wanted to know whether you had stopped your antibiotics and then you caught another infection or were you still taking your anti's but still got another infection anyway - if this is the case then i'm really worried...

This just seems all to conincidental to me.....

Do you think it is likely i will bleed again...anyone??

x x x x

Old 06-01-2007, 10:12 AM   #3
(female)

Lauren_x HB User
Re: 28 days post tonsillectomy

The last time I bled I asked my ENT doctor how long until I don't have to worry about bleeding anymore and he said I'm UNLIKELY to bleed after one month.. Which didn't make me happy.
The last time I bled I'd only just finished my antibiotics earlier that day and I got another infection and bled but try not to worry too much, I just think I was unlucky to bleed again. The most common time to bleed is 5-10 days. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you're gonna be fine now purplehazy83 xx

Closed Thread