It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2007, 09:27 PM   #1
(male)

EarProblems HB User
Left Ear Clogged - ENT doc was no help - Any advice?

Hello, i'm a 20 year old male, and recently have been noticing that I can't hear as good out of my left ear, like the sound is hitting something and not coming through all the way. I visited the ENT and they cleaned my ears out with an air vacuum, I was surprised since they usually use a water wash, and i'm not sure which is more effective.

I had an audiology test done and the test came back that my left ear did indeed have an issue hearing certain sounds (scoring a little more than less than average on the line). They also did the audiology before checking for anything else, which kind of struck me odd. The doctor went on to say that it was possible that I have "scarring tissue" on the ear drum, but this was never validated, nor did he see this, it was more of a guess.

It seems that this specific ENT was quick to dismiss alot of my symptoms, and that is why I don't think my problem is resolved. After the removal of the wax, I can hear somewhat better out of my left ear, but there was no "popping", and both ears feel congested, like it needs to be popped. When I swallow I hear a noise in my ears, and when I yawn, it makes a noise and feels like it does when one has a cold and the ears are clogged.

He told me that it wasn't a eustacian tube problem, because the audiology test showed the ear drum reacted correctly to the noise, and that if anything was touching the ear drum, it would show, although i'm not sure about this, because i'm having eustacian-tube-problem symptons.

They gave me some nasal spray (even though my nose is fine). I'm wondering if I may have had a bad diagnosis, or what I should do from here? My left ear still feels muffled, and I haven't gotten a real straight answer about it, other than the hypothesis of scarring tissue. This just happened as of 2-3 weeks ago, with no trauma either.

I can live with this, it's not a huge deal, but the constant feeling of wanting relief through popping and not getting it is irritating. Should I go to another ENT and request the waterwash this time? Should I try a de-congestant (even though my nose is fine)?

Any advice you have for me would be deeply appreciated.

Sincerely,

John

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2007, 03:41 AM   #2
(female)

shelley 62 HB User
Re: Left Ear Clogged - ENT doc was no help - Any advice?

hi john after suffering for many years with the same problem as yourself i went to a (head and neck surgeon ) who also treated ENT i had suffered many ear infections that had caused scar tissue that had left me with this blocked feeling he operated and removed this also however your ears have been cleaned they have been cleaned so i feel u need to see someone who will look more into this for u good luck shelley x

Old 05-24-2007, 05:30 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Tivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB User

I'm not a doctor by any means, but I had a similar problem for several months. It turns out I had fluid behind the ear which was causing that type of hearing where it sounds like it's clogged. I got nasal spray from my ENT as well because he claimed that would help dry up the ear problem. Well, it didn't!

Anyway, the problem lasted like from last November until about April of this year. It was a really long time! But what finally helped me was the short course of prednisone (7 days) that my allergist gave me, and I haven't had the problem since.

So, I'm not sure if you have another doctor you can go to, since your ENT is kind of an idiot, but if you visit another doctor for this, you can tell them that you've heard that a 7-day course of prednisone is supposed to clear up a fluid-behind-the-ear problem. Providing that's what's wrong, it should work.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:41 AM   #4
(male)

EarProblems HB User

Thanks for the helpful advice, I will definately use it

Closed Thread