It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2007, 11:26 PM   #1
(male)

americanidol HB User
T&A recovery plse help?? water, sleep, eating???

As a 36 year old male I just had a T&A procedure today. It is 1am and I'm still up. The posts here have helped. The one I read was so long it said to start a new one.

Day 1 is here and like the posts indicate, today is not so bad. Very hard to swallow, very tired, can't sleep, lower jaw hurts, uvula is large, nose channel feels like I have a cold and want to clear my throat and spit out the flem...

I can't tell if it's my uvula or what my doctor told my wife, but it feels like something is in the back of my throat and I just want to clear it. Wife was told there is a gelatin gauze pad that will disolve or I'll swallow it. Did anyone have this and if so, did you know when you swallowed it?

Last edited by americanidol; 05-24-2007 at 11:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2007, 07:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: T&A recovery plse help?? water, sleep, eating???

I think I had an icepack on my neck for the first day or so. My throat would feel dry/stuck together if I didn't drink water or chew on ice constantly -- that's what would wake me up every few hours or so. I sorta slept at an incline and kept a glass of water on the night stand.

Keep up with your pain meds.

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Don't worry so much about losing weight from not eating, you'll gain it all back once you feel better.

I remember feeling lots of extra saliva in my throat. I also felt strange because my tonsils were so enlarged that now there was all kinds of room back there and if I drank too fast, water would shoot out my nose. I also took smaller bites, chewed and ate more slowly because I felt as if I might choke on it because swallowing felt different.

I lost my voice after a few days. Didn't really get it back for about a week. I constantly felt like I should clear my throat. At day 8 when I thought I should be feeling better -- not so tired, my ears started to hurt like crazy. Apparently part of the healing process, but I was feeling bad -- that I was a wimp - heck, this wasn't bypass surgery, but I was so uncomfortable, and tired of being "sick" that it was upsetting.

If/when your scabs start coming off, there could be bleeding. I didn't have that problem, but a cousin of mine did at about 10-14 days.

I also got really sick of juice, ice cream, popscicles and started craving salty stuff. I would eat tepid chicken noodle soup or broth with saltine crackers mushed up in them.

Carbonated beverages, hot tea or coffee, orange juice -- very bad. Caused pain. As did sneezing. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2007, 11:16 AM   #3
(female)

Hayley219 HB User

I completely understand...and you sound right on track for the first day (plus the next 3 for me at least). And honestly, when you think you're getting better, don't trick yourself because you will begin to feel worse again around day 7 or 8 when your scabs start falling off. I am on day 10 and this is the first day I haven't woken up wanting to cry because the pain was so bad (don't get me wrong, there was still pain, just not excruciating pain).

One thing I recommend to you is to keep that ice pack handy. I know it says to use it for the first few days, but right now as I post this, I have one around my neck. When I start to hurt bad, I put it on to numb my throat (this may not be the best way, but the hour of relier if provides doesn't make me question the method).

As for the gel gauze - I did not have that and not sure what you are talking about. And the fact you feel something is always back there - and you said you have a swollen uvula - if it is like mine was .... that is what you are feeling constantly in your throat. By now I have gotten used to it (mine is still swollen to where I can't see the end of it).

Good Luck - it hurts, it sucks, it makes you feel like a big baby (and you're not)! But you will get through it. I had my upper jaw cut and replaced with plates a few years back and this was completely worse than that surgery. So don't let anyone tell you to suck it up if they have never had it done!

Old 05-25-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
(male)

americanidol HB User

headache stage right now. coping and hoping for best outcome..... what about rinsing?

Old 05-25-2007, 08:16 PM   #5
(female)

Hayley219 HB User

Rinsing?? Do you mean like with mouthwash? I never used mouthwash because I was afraid of it stinging. When brushing my teeth I just didn't let toothpaste get back there so I never really rinsed the space where my tonsils used to be.

And about the headache stage....it'll happen....however, mine I found out was because of my medicine the doctor prescribed. Once I switched medications I never got headaches again.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:39 PM   #6
(male)

americanidol HB User

I had a surprisingly decent day. Headache was killing me until about 2pm. It may have been due to being 20 minutes late on my meds. Once I had my meds within the hour I was actually watching TV with my family and eating some broth. Felt fine the rest of the day. Now back of my throat is getting very thick white paste film. We'll see how well I sleep tonight.. I hope tomorrow is OK. I've been drinking a lot of fluids and keeping everything wet.

How was your day?

Old 05-26-2007, 02:04 AM   #7
(male)

americanidol HB User

4am, woke up and for 10 minutes thought it was good to get 4 hours sleep. Then spent 30 minutes lubricating throat. Ouch, trying to swallow was not fun. What gives? I liked it before without sleep and drinking every 40 minutes... now taking meds, ice water and puter....

Old 05-26-2007, 04:05 PM   #8
(female)

s_conni HB User

Put a cool mist vaporizer in your bedroom and seal the room up tight - let it run all the time, get your room as humid and damp as you can. Sleeping with the moist air will help keep your throat from drying up as you sleep.

Old 05-27-2007, 01:49 PM   #9
(female)

Hayley219 HB User

The humidifier idea is a great one! That's how my nights were - I dreaded going to sleep because I knew it would hurt. However, the humidifier helped!

Also, on a happy note.....just wait for day 11 (at least for me)! It was great to wake up and just feel completely 100% better! I could talk, I could drink, and I ate for the first time in days!

On a kind of gross note.....if you have not yet used the batheroom - start taking a laxative now. I think yesterday was worse than the actual surgery. My doctor recommeded it, however I never had a problem with constipation before, but I should have listened an took it earlier on.

Old 05-27-2007, 02:50 PM   #10
(male)

americanidol HB User

Talk about a yo-yo I'm experiencing.. By 10-11am I feel somewhat ok (a lot of the posts scarred me to death). It's only day 3 so maybe the worst is yet to come, but I feel I'm trying to stay ahead of the curve with respect to better vs. normal vs. bad recoveries..

I've been able to each Campbells creamy chix noodle soup that is heated and then put into our little silver bullet puree machine. It taste like a nice bisque soup. I'm drinking a lot of water - the morning time is the worst. This morning I could barely swallow my own siliva and I thought I was going to have a horrible day. But I forced some medicine down, then drank water. Within an hour, I had some soup and by then my daughter was up. We played a bit on the floor but I really can't lay down too long so I then retreated to the bedroom. I haven't been able to nap, so I just watched a bunch of TV. Then came out for another dose of medicine and more soup...

So far so good.. I know what you mean about a laxative. I've been into the RR 2 times with not much result but I attributed that to not much eating.. I think I'll look into a laxitive by day 5....

How are you doing? So day 10 was great... Good.

Old 05-28-2007, 05:27 PM   #11
(female)

liznjon2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley219 View Post
On a kind of gross note.....if you have not yet used the batheroom - start taking a laxative now. I think yesterday was worse than the actual surgery. My doctor recommeded it, however I never had a problem with constipation before, but I should have listened an took it earlier on.

So completely agree - the constipation was one of the worst parts of the recovery for me. I'd highly recommend a stool softener, start taking one a day probably by day 3-4.

I've had three children naturally (no drugs) and some of the post-op (days 7-10) bathroom trips were much more difficult than any of my births!
I think it is a combo of the medication and very little food - I was drinking a ton of water, but it didn't help at all with.

Sorry for TMI, but I wish someone had warned me before.

Old 05-28-2007, 05:36 PM   #12
(male)

americanidol HB User

let me ask a question, I've always had a fast digestion system. Now I've been using the rest room each day, it's day 4 and each day I have a small but successful outcome :-) I don't think it will do any harm to take a stool softner, but I'm wondering if I would be affected by constipation since again I'm not experiencing anything at day 4? Does everyone get constipated?

Old 05-29-2007, 09:51 AM   #13
(female)

Hayley219 HB User

I bet not everyone does...and also, I never had an "successful" results before the horrid experience. So you may be in the clear....you know your body better than a doctor does....so I'm not sure what to tell you.

And yes, you will experience the ear pain - to relieve it my doctor gave me drops, but the best thing was heating up a damp washlcoth and applying the warmth to my ears.

And thank you for asking - I am doing absoutely wonderful! I went for my 2 week check up today and was given a clean bill of health - I can have my normal diet and normal routine back. I've been aching to workout again - however I'm trying not to push it too soon.

How were days 5 and 6 for you?

Old 05-29-2007, 11:16 AM   #14
(male)

americanidol HB User

I'm going to start a new day 5 thread. In short, I'm doing just great. Nothing like the misery I anticipated from the other posts.. I too am an active person cycling and working out and I think this has aided in the recovery process.

Closed Thread