It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2007, 09:50 AM   #1
(male)

americanidol HB User
Day 4 after T&A removal - surprised, positive recap.

I hope this update helps those who are contemplating having T&A removal or seeking positive reinforcement.

It's day 4 today. when my 7am alarm went off to take my meds I didn't want to wake up (mentally) but when I did I really didn't feel much different than prior days. From reading the other posts I thought today would be horrid. Actually, day 3 in the AM was very bad for me. Perhaps I'm 1 day ahead of recovery schedule. Here's a recap of my days and experiences.

Day of - came home very lucid and agitated. Can't talk and needing help from others is tuff. I did not sleep at all for some reason. Day 1 was ok until bed time. Then I realized I could not lay flat. Thank gosh I found this post and learned that I would need to sleep laying up and i would probably not sleep much. That was exactly right.. Also learned to drink ALL THE TIME.

Day 1 (day after) first part of the day was realtively ok, I was able to do emails and actually spoke to my parents for a very short while on the phone when the called to check in. By about 4pm I started to feel physically drained and uncomfortable. I went to lay down and that helped a lot. Didn't do much thru the evening and went to bed similar to night before - just a little bit of sleep, but a better experience.

Day 2 - exactly same as Day 1 except that I was eating soup from a puree machine 2 times a day. I would say I had about 1.5 - 2 oz and not much more but I just wanted to put something in my stomache with all the meds I was taking. yes, noticed I was constipated but not blocked up... went to bed same a prior day but this time I slept in 4 hour blocks only waking to my alarm for meds...

Day 3 - OUCH. I woke up and felt like my throat had swollen shut on me. It did not want to swallow and I spent nearly 1 hour in the rest room taking small sips of water trying to swallow. I did notice that about 20 minutes after taking my Hydrocodone that swalling was manageable. Day 3 am was when the depression kicked in and I lashed out at my wife for not much of a reason. By mid day I was ok feeling, staying on top of water drinking all the time and a few more sips of soups and frozen popsicles... THe night of Day 3 I slept very good actually. When i'd wake I was waiting for my throat to be worse than day 3am, it was a little less than the same so I was SURPRISED.

Day 4 - woke up not wanting to wake up. My alarm went off on my cell phone, I had it in my hand and hit snooze 3 times. I was more asleep than awake. THen I remembered how important staying on med schedule was and I got up. Wow, I didn't feel horrid. Sure I wasn't ready to go to the gym or anything, but I had my normal ritual - rest room, spit, sip, spit, sit, spit, sit, take med, swallow, water, swallow, water & done... Today I notice a slight ear pressure. Its like it's about 1/2 an inch inside my ear. I notiece it more when I got on the floor to play with my daughter so I realized I better not move around and upset my equilibrium much..

Summary - yes, this proceedure is not fun. But for those reading this who have read the other posts and like I did (post surgery) felt like this was going to nearly drive me to insantity, just judge yourself. You know how you respond to pain and healing. I am pretty resilient and pretty stubborn. I want to beat the odds and prove doctors wrong. I usually end up with some sort of self induced pain or set back with this bullish attitude but I feel I'm on top of my body and healing. So with a good head on your shoulders, a positive attitude and a winners thought process I would say you can stay on top of this recovery, you can endure the mild to severe pain wth stride and if I could listen to my own advice - you can rest plenty and do well. I think what's helped me is that I haven't sat in bed waiting to feel bad. I make an effort to go watch TV in the other room, I play with my daughter 2-3 times a day. I go and check my emails.

Good luck and remember - if your ENT says they should come out, get them out. My ENT told my wife after surgery that mine were larger than she thought and looked infected for a long time.. Thank goodness for good medical advice....

P.S. I may be back tomorrow a totally different person who did cross the threshold of stage 2, but I'm hoping I'll stay on top of this...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2007, 11:45 PM   #2
(female)

JHopeP HB User
Re: Day 4 after T&A removal - surprised, positive recap.

Hi!

I'm on day 13...and seem to have had a very similar experience to you. It really wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be....it seems we also have run the same course....my days and experience align with yours.

Days 5-7 were a bit touch and go...as were 9-10. By 11 I was feeling nearly 100% physically (doing small errands/driving the car etc.). Of course, i was still only eating mashed potatoes and cream of wheat cereal, oatmeal etc. and that is what caught up to me. I've lost 8 pounds and feel light headed from not eating enough protein.

Melt some peanut butter and drizzle it over ice cream...get your protein any way you can! As you physically feel better (though your throat may not) you need to kick that light headeness that you felt when you kneeled down on the floor with your daughter... i felt that too.

Good luck. Keep up the good work.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:18 PM   #3
(male)

americanidol HB User

I'm a middle aged athletic person - translation - I ride my bicycle about 3 times a week and if I see the gym 2 times a month I'm happy. But I di cycle very much so I have a great cardio system and have ever since college. I think that is why I've done so good here.

As such, I've always been aware of diet needs and I bulked up before the surgery. I've been drinking protein shakes each day and yesterday was able to have some milk without much consequence, but tried chocolate icecream and had a hard time with that....

I'm waiting for the 8 pounds to drop. when did you see that. I don't see it yet??

Old 05-31-2007, 12:00 AM   #4
(female)

JHopeP HB User
Talking Re: Day 4 after T&A removal - surprised, positive recap.

I realized i had hit the 8 pound mark at day 11...i was shocked...protein shakes would have been a great idea.... oh well. Now it's fourteen days....and now I'm just trying to eat more normally...I ate a crunchy cookie today!! (things to look forward to...)

Old 05-31-2007, 11:23 PM   #5
(female)

AZchick14 HB User

Okay I am new to this but in need of major help or something! I had my surgery May 21 and so I am on day 10 and am in extream pain most of the time. I have tried eating many things but I have gotten to the point where I am no longer hungry and food almost discuses me b/c my pain meds made me so sick that I could no longer handle throwing up and chocking on the back of my throat. I know I should be drinking more but with laying around I tend to forget to drink stuff. I am just trying to make the pain go away. It is mostly ear pain that bothers me the most. Do you have any suggestions about making that go away? I have found that keeping a heat pack on it helps a ton! But it is still there. I would also like to know if your scabs are falling off and if so do you feel it or what. In reading past entries people would say they noticed progress and I was wondering if that was b/c they felt it or just saw it? I hope you continue to do well and I hope to hear back from you or anyone!! Thanks!!

Old 06-01-2007, 10:10 AM   #6
(male)

americanidol HB User

I think I've had an exceptionally well recovery and it has to be based on my own personal attributes - basically, I am a good healer.

Things that I did that helped out a bunch was - get a bit angry at this thing in the back of your throat, swallow cold water in the morning and tell it to take the junk down with it. Use mind power to overcome the discomfort. After the 2nd day I resumed a lite active home life, going into my computer room, watching tv, walking in the back yard. Try to get your mind off the discomfort. The MEDS are SOOOOOO important. I'm on day 8 now and I am doing great, but when I wake up I am in pain and I do need my meds. Once I take them within 30 minutes I'm doing pretty good.

I also started to eat warm soup about day 4. Some say warm is not good for you, but I think it helped speed up the scab removal process. Again, I think I was ready for it and I don't presume that everyone will be ready, but you're on day 10 so get your mind on top of things, force down cold water, beat that throat junk up and you should see some shift in your outlook...

Closed Thread