It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
(male)

ckc27 HB User
Most choosing painful traditional tonsillectomy! Laser undesirable?

I've been thinking about a tonsillectomy for various reasons, and I'm assuming that the painful recovery stories I've been reading about are from the traditional tonsillectomies. I'm also assuming that other methods have been explored since the traditional means supposedly has a longer and more difficult recovery period. If any of you researched other means before going through with the traditional method, then could you tell me why you chose it. Are the internet descriptions of the laser recovery misstated? I'm all for avoiding as much pain as possible, and I also don't want to miss much work. Thanks for any input.

Old 05-28-2007, 04:52 PM   #2
(male)

americanidol HB User
Re: Most choosing painful traditional tonsillectomy! Laser undesirable?

I am 36, I didn't do any research, I was naive and presumed it was like going to the dentist or something. I only learned about post effects after the surgery and on this board. From day one with my ENT she started with the lazer proceedure as what she would do. I think I recall her saying why it was much better but again, I was aloof about it.

Now after it's all done I do recall looking back in my throat after day of surgery and when I could open my mouth it did look very professional. I did read somewhere on the web about the other proceedure and they said you don't need laser. When I first read the website I wondered if I did the right proceedure. Now I just went back to read it and I'm glad I did lazer because like most things you find on the web - one can confirm your beliefs, one can scare you, one can be for and one can be against what you are researching. Perhaps someone will reply to you that did not have lazer. All I can say is that I think either way you will be out of work for at least 7 business days. I went in on Thursday and today is Monday and I don't feel like going back until next monday. It's not because I can't get out of bed, it's because I think you are a bit more prone to irritation from environmental interaction. For example, my wifes parents came over yesterday. I went to say hi and after 20 minutes of them all talking I felt like the day after drinking - hungover, you know where you just want to relax because everyone talking is just to much to take in...

As far as other medical claims that are anti lazer, I disagree because I am doing fine. I think it's all based on each surgeons experience and decision. Heck, maybe in some cases the surgeon is not skilled on lazer and will say it is not as good because they don't offer the proceedure. Do you have a good ENT you trust? In fact, If I had researched I would be more prone to trust lazer because of how it burns off rather than other proceedures which seem to me could be ones that require more precision from the surgeon and tools used...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2007, 04:56 PM   #3
(male)

ckc27 HB User

Thanks for the reply, americanidol. It looks like the laser treatment is going to be the route I take.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Laser tends to be the best and least traumatic to the tissue.. the main problem is it is expensive and requires special training. Many facilities and ENT do not have access to such and by default there patients have to have a traditional T&A. IF given the option of the newer techniques.. you normally should take that option.

Sincerely,
MG

I had CO2 laser ablation myself... as did my 3.5 year old.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:42 PM   #5
(male)

ckc27 HB User

mkgbrook, Thanks. I have an appt. this month on the 11th with the same doctor that S Conni used for her daughter's CO2 laser tonsillectomy. He only uses a local anathesia and does the procedure while in his office.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Good luck. It is still going to be rough. But drink that water and keep as much food and nutrient intake up as possible. The week of pain was annoying.. the lack of sleep and fatigue was the worst.

Respectfully,
MG

Old 06-04-2007, 09:10 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User

I wanted the laser tonsillectomy but my ENT did not offer it. So I had to go with the traditional method. I was out of work for 10 days but I needed more time because I was very much in pain for the entire 15. It wasn't pleasant but I'm glad I did it anyway!

Closed Thread