It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007, 02:02 PM   #1
(male)

americanidol HB User
Thumbs up Day 5 after T&A removal - manageable, not horrid.

This post is a summary of day 5 experience after T&A laser removal. I hope it to help those who are considering T&A laser removal or who are on day 1-3 and fearing the next few days.

Both day 4 and day 5 wake up experience was the worst over all with a feeling like someone had actually put staples on the far back sides of my tongue. It takes some mental power to swallow but once you take your AM meds and get a few sips down you should be fine. One thing that I think made a significant improvement was a humidifier running all night. Without it I don't know what my AM experience would be like.

I didn't eat right away, but waited until my second meds 4 hours later. Today I was able to put down a nice size of microwaved mac&cheese as well as some puree bean soup. I believe I felt a scab fall off, but I can't really tell. There was a localized pain mid way thru the meal, but I didn't see any blood when I spit in the sink.

Now I'm getting ready for my dinner - again, mac&cheese with some cut up hot dog. Chewing is hard and I learned that you have a window of time about 20 minutes after your meds and within the next 30 minutes to eat. If you wait after that it may cause pain that you cannot treat with more meds...

For those who this post helps - don't be scarred at all. Some of the other posts warn of severe pain and near mental anxiety. I think this affects everyone differently and I thank my souls that I think I am experiencing a good recovery.

Key helpful items: Humidifier, Ice water all day, meds on schedule, mental stimulation - TV, small movements between rooms, reading, TV...

[/LIST]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2007, 09:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: Day 5 after T&A removal - manageable, not horrid.

I seem to recall that as I would heal, eating anything felt a little raw, so I would chase every bite of food with a sip of lukewarm water. Kept things hydrated and I could practice not having water shoot out my nose.

Sounds like things are going well -- staying hydrated, getting rest are the biggies.

I do hope you skip the ear pain. Didn't last long, but it was unexpected and I think I was just so disappointed because I felt I should be feeling better at that point (Day 8-9) and I was tired of being a slug.

I had mine out 7 years ago and to this day I still say it was the BEST thing I ever did, only wish I hadn't been such a chicken and had my tonsils removed MUCH sooner.

Last edited by Ratatosk; 05-30-2007 at 09:15 AM.

Closed Thread