It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2007, 05:54 PM   #1
(female)

swtbeb4lyfe43 HB User
tonsillectomy: bleeding at 7 days & cauterize

hi
i had my tonsillectomy last wednesday. pain had persistently getting worse, probably the worst on days 6 & 7. the on the night of day 7, i had bleeding - spitting out blood, it was oozing, but i stopped it after a few minutes with an ice pack on the neck & drinking ice water.
however, the night after, at about the same time, i got bleeding again. this time i went ot the ER. good thing i went because i ended up spitting out abotu 3/4 a cup of blood over the course of 2 hours. the ice pack wasnt helping. at one point i spat out a huge 2-3 inch blood clot!
i had to get my wound cauterized - they put me to sleep n then burn the wound to stop the bleeding. they told me i was "back at square one" in terms of healing & recovery period. but i have to go to start work in 11 days!

has anyone experienced this, & is it true that your recovery period gets prolonged that much?
sucks to be in the 2-5% of complications...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2007, 11:12 PM   #2
(female)

AZchick14 HB User
Re: tonsillectomy: bleeding at 7 days & cauterize

Okay I am new to this but in need of major help or something! I had my surgery May 21 and so I am on day 10 and am in extream pain most of the time. I have tried eating many things but I have gotten to the point where I am no longer hungry and food almost discuses me b/c my pain meds made me so sick that I could no longer handle throwing up and chocking on the back of my throat. I know I should be drinking more but with laying around I tend to forget to drink stuff. I am just trying to make the pain go away. It is mostly ear pain that bothers me the most. Do you have any suggestions about making that go away? I have found that keeping a heat pack on it helps a ton! But it is still there. I would also like to know if your scabs are falling off and if so do you feel it or what. In reading past entries people would say they noticed progress and I was wondering if that was b/c they felt it or just saw it? I hope you continue to do well and I hope to hear back from you or anyone!! Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2007, 09:51 PM   #3
(female)

xxoxluciousxoxx HB User
Lightbulb Re: tonsillectomy: bleeding at 7 days & cauterize

Hi,

I'm on day 10 of my recovery...and let me just tell you it's definitely a journey. Bleeding is normal, and ear pain is too even though it sucks more than anyone could ever relate to. I started getting ear pain around day 5. It progressively got worse, then decided to just bless my right ear...which is not better. The ear pain usually comes more toward the afternoon/early evening. I actually use an icepack. My brother who is an infant gets ear infections every other month has baby ear drops...I use those with some cotton. I suppose you could use regular adult ear drops for pain. It works for a little while. This might sound weird but I also found that applying pressure works...I use my icepack after its lost its cool. (It's bumpy like a beany baby).

I went to the doctors today with so many questions for my post op. Basically he gave me anti-nausea medicine and a really strong narcodic...even though i begged him for something less strong...the percocet made me very ill and considering the fact that i havent taken any strong pain meds except tylenol since day 5...mainly because i havent eaten anything during this whole ordeal except a spoonful of pudding or a bite of scrambled eggs...he failed to listen to that part i think...i thought it was a little insane to be honest. Does anyone know of any medicine that will not make you sick, but doesnt make you feel out of it like a narcodic? I would appreciate any replies...this has been terrible and I have work all next week and i would really like to smile

thanks for listening to my rant
-Aleasa

Old 06-01-2007, 10:18 PM   #4
(female)

Hayley219 HB User

Hey xxx.....I too had vomiting with my pain meds. My doctor had put me on Demorol and it was horrible. He then switched me to Hydrocodeine which is basically Tylenol 3 (Tylenol and codiene) and I never felt out of it. I got sleepy sometimes (but not everytime I took it). The only thing is make sure you are not allergic to codeine because if so, you would have a baaaddd reaction (brother and father both experienced that!)

I hope this is helpful!

Keep up hope - it gets better and you feel like nothing every happened!

Old 06-02-2007, 07:34 PM   #5
(female)

madam50 HB User

Liquid Children's Motrin - just follow instructions and better to ok it with your Dr. first. REALLY helped me - it was like night and day!!! Good luck - if you try it - please post if it worked for you.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:36 PM   #6
(female)

xxoxluciousxoxx HB User

thank you guys so much!! todays day 12 and its starting to really heal...ive taken liquid childrens Tylenol this weekend and its kind of helped... i think by the end of this week ill be able to eat more regularly...thats the worst part of the whole thing!! i'll ask about the tylenol 3 tomorrow when i call and yell at the doctor lol... ill keep you guys posted...man i wish i could eat a cheeseburger!!

<3aleasa

Old 06-03-2007, 09:27 PM   #7
(female)

Hayley219 HB User

I'm glad you are feeling better....and I thought it was hilarious you want a cheeseburger, because that was my first real food (before I was supposed to) and while it hurt a little bit, it was totally worth it!

Good luck!

Old 06-13-2007, 09:26 AM   #8
(male)

RyanInDC HB User

I'm 29 and it is now Day 13 since my tonsillectomy (June 1st), using the Coblation method, it's been a living hell. I wish I could be one of the small % of posters saying that they were fully recovered by Day 10 and able to eat anything they wanted to. Unfortunately, that's not my case. I'm a redhead and I guess I'm supposed to bleed easily (according to my ENT) because on the dreadful Day 9, Saturday evening, I was rushed to ER to stop a broken blood vessel that was found on the left side of the cut site to get it recauterized and I had to stay overnight since the surgery was done around midnight, so it was late to go home. I left the hospital at 8:30am on Sunday. I was actually bleeding on Day 6, but stopped after 3 hours and made an appointment with my ENT and he said nothing to worry about and cauterization wasn't necessary. How wrong he was! His partner (the other dr in the office) was the one who did the emergency recauterization. I was really bummed about this whole ordeal especially the notion that I am in the 3%-6% pool of patients who had to go in to get recauterization.

I recall that Days 3 through 6 were the toughest, pain was insane through the 8th I think with the ears hurting and all that which is normal. I was taking tylenol and liquid codeine plus antibiotics (amoxicillan), but right now I'm taking tablets (Percocet) and a stronger antibiotic running for a week-- meaning I should be done and done by Day 18! And what's more is that I have a week-long family vacation in California on that day... So I'm really hoping (praying/thinking positive) that I'll be back on my feet by then and no further complications arise. There is some soreness from the cauterization sites and bouts of paranoia of bleeding (who could blame me?). I been sleeping upright most nights, taking less painkillers so it seems, most of scab has been gone from right side of my throat except the left side where cauterization took place, eating crummy jello, popsicles, pudding, campbell chicken noodle soup, ramen -- chicken flavor, scrambled eggs, soft bread (w/o crust), Boost energy drink, tons of cold bottled regular water, apple juice, Propel (vitamin water), and every once in a while Mac n Cheese. I guess I better continue using cold/ice packs around the neck too.

There, I've shared my experience and am looking for additional feedback/comments from those who have experienced recauterization-- like how much longer did it take for you to heal after the procedure? Any further bleeding? I hear that there may be minimal bleeding discharge from scabs falling of but nothing more serious. The dr who performed the cauterization said there's a 99% chance I'll be fine! Let's hope that rings true!

Thanks!

Old 06-13-2007, 09:29 AM   #9
(male)

RyanInDC HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbeb4lyfe43 View Post
hi
i had my tonsillectomy last wednesday. pain had persistently getting worse, probably the worst on days 6 & 7. the on the night of day 7, i had bleeding - spitting out blood, it was oozing, but i stopped it after a few minutes with an ice pack on the neck & drinking ice water.
however, the night after, at about the same time, i got bleeding again. this time i went ot the ER. good thing i went because i ended up spitting out abotu 3/4 a cup of blood over the course of 2 hours. the ice pack wasnt helping. at one point i spat out a huge 2-3 inch blood clot!
i had to get my wound cauterized - they put me to sleep n then burn the wound to stop the bleeding. they told me i was "back at square one" in terms of healing & recovery period. but i have to go to start work in 11 days!

has anyone experienced this, & is it true that your recovery period gets prolonged that much?
sucks to be in the 2-5% of complications...
Hi there, swtbeb4lyfe, how did your recovery go???? The doc who did the cauterization said 1 week after the procedure was done. True?

Old 06-13-2007, 09:48 AM   #10
(female)

k3ya HB User

Hey everyone! I had my tonsils removed on the 7th of June, and I'm currently on day 6 of recovery. I'm 17 years old (I heard age makes a difference somehow) and so far it's been painful but not so painful that I'm crying. Last night a terrible pain in my left ear woke me up, and all I had to do was switch sides and it went away. I'm not sure how that worked, but yeah. I too have red hair but I've never really bled a lot....and I'm hoping that myth isn't true. I think day 4 and 5 were the best for me so far, and it's still morning so I don't know how this day will turn out. My surgery wasn't laser, it was cauterization (or something like that).
Day 1 and 2 were horrible, I couldn't eat or anything. Day 3 I think was a little better because I was used to the medicine. Day 4 I was doing okay until I had to go on a 2 hour car ride to my dad's house (because he's closer to a hospital, just incase) but when I got there I just slept. Day 5 was just average, didn't do much and ate more than I have been. I'm thinking about having my dad go out and buy an ice pack because we don't have one here. I used ice packs for the first 3 days, and they helped alot! Right now I'm trying to eat, and I'm afraid of a bleed out because I don't know what causes them.

Closed Thread