It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2007, 07:16 AM   #1
(male)

TheAdventure HB User
More infections since having post nasal drip

I've had PND since March 2006 and it responded with antibiotics twice (1 week amox) and then came back 1 month later on first attempt and about 2 weeks after the second attempt. The thick yellow/green mucous turned normal colour too, and it wasn't thick while taking antibiotics!

I always get this solidified crap between back of my throat and my nose too, which is very irratating and I sometimes gag on it or it gets stuck. Its almost like the size of my little finger nail (similar to a sqaushed raisin but yellow/green/rusty brown colour =/ ) I'm not sure where its coming from (which sinus) because I use a neti pot and 500ml with half a teaspoon of salt to wash out my sinuses everyday (2-4 times a day) but it never seems to remove it! but (IF) I sneeze it seems to work its way out (unplugged) from somewhere.

Anyway, since I've had this nose problem I've been frequently getting throat infections or any type of upper respiratory infection that goes around. I've had one probably every 5-6 weeks! When in the past I would had EVER be sick, even when I'm around people that are ill.

I have my first ENT appointment on monday, what can I expect?

Also has anyone else experienced more frequent viral infections since having Post nasal drip? I would assume its because the thick mucous stay around the throat longer and virses are there longer to infect tissue?

Matt

Last edited by TheAdventure; 06-02-2007 at 07:24 AM.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:21 PM   #2
(male)

hp8 HB User
Re: More infections since having post nasal drip

I think I'm having a sinus infection now after experiencing nasal congestion last year that never went away. My CT scan shows structural abnormality so I guess I should expect some infections due to constant congestion.

Sick of going to doctor about same thing. Its always one of teo things, stay on decongestants or get surgery. i was on antibiotics last year, didn't do anything but X-rays then showed my sinuses were clear. Now the green nasty discharge again. Should the infection go away on it's own. My doc was very hesitant to give me antibiotics last time and prob won't again this time.
Will the decongestants make the infection (if it is a sinus infection) worst since it dries out your nasal passages?
I wonder if the sudden change in weather to hot and humid irritate my nasal problems more. It seems I do better during the winter when I have less PND.

I wish there was some way to get endoscopic nasal surgery w/out packing your nose. I actually went and plugged my nose with tissue and it drove me crazy after a few minutes.

Last edited by hp8; 06-02-2007 at 07:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2007, 03:56 PM   #3
(male)

TheAdventure HB User
Re: More infections since having post nasal drip

I just thought i'd update you on my situation.

After having a cold infection in june my Sinusitis was cured... Doctor said apoptosis (cell death) of the lining of the sinuses might have helped remove the bacteria with all the mucous and stuff.

So for a whole year my doctors were wrong in saying it was allergy or something... all along it was bacterial sinusitis ! luckily i didn't have to take long term antibiotics for it. However I now use a neti pot everyday to prevent infections.

Closed Thread