It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2007, 06:03 AM   #1
(male)

Felix86 HB User
Continuous ear popping and 'openness'. Please help.

I was hoping there was someone out there who has some idea about what condition it is that I have and if there is anything that can be done about it.

Since I can remember, I have had severe problems with ear popping and what I think most refer to as fullness. As a child I had grommets twice and probably since then I have had this problem. I am 20 years old at the moment. To further explain, my ears continuously pop, or open up, as though experiencing an altitude change. It is not accompanied by any pain, it is just increadibly annoying, as I cannot hear myself talking when they are 'full' and can hear nothing but crunching etc. when eating. I can easily get them to 'close up' again by inhaling hard through my nose, or blocking my nose and sucking through it. Although within a few seconds it opens up again. When they are 'open' outside noises are quite a lot louder, but after a while it gets sore and I have to sniff or suck to close them up again.

What is this? Is there anything that can be done about it? Please help.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:32 PM   #2
(female)

Danni1979 HB User
Re: Continuous ear popping and 'openness'. Please help.

Hi Felix it might be worth checking out patulous eustachian tube sounds abit similar.
Hugs
xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2007, 04:17 AM   #3
(male)

Felix86 HB User

Thank you Danni! That does help my search a great deal. It seems very similar to what I have in every way except that it seems as though the 'opening' and 'closing', particularly the closing is not easy to control. In my case it is. I can close my ears easily, by reducing pressure in my nasal cavity (sucking through a closed nose), whereas it seems that most people with patulous eustachian tube have to resort to methods such as putting their heads between their legs or lying down.

Alas! It seems as though treatment is few and unreliable at best

I have noticed that over the last couple weeks I've had a constant sore throat which seems to have coincided with exaggerated p e tube symptoms. Could there be some relation?

Old 06-24-2007, 11:45 PM   #4
(female)

KimberlyPhoenix HB User

I was finally diagnosed with PET in one ear four years ago (which I started experiencing only during exercise in my early 20s and now I"m 44), and when it acts up I spend all day sniffing like a fiend to get the tube to close. Have you tried quickly bending over to see if the tube closes briefly? I'll be shocked if it doesn't. I think you definitely have it. Mine isn't constant--I'll go a couple weeks without any symptoms if I don't exercise. But now that the heat is on here in Phoenix I'm more dessicated, and the tissues aren't as plump: voila, PET in a barrel perhaps 100 times a day. I read the sniffing isn't good for the tissue health in the long run, fyi. Try drinking lots of water to keep hydrated. My allergy doc told me allergies can exacerbate the condition, so it's possible a sore throat would too.

Last edited by KimberlyPhoenix; 06-24-2007 at 11:47 PM.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:03 AM   #5
(female)

petear HB User

I find the easiest and less embarresing way to close the et tube is to press your fingers up under your jaw on the affected side towards the ear, or clasp your hands behind your neck pressing the palms behind the ears, clasp tightly and put your elbows together and tip your head forward, I think both these methods increase the blood flow to your et tubes for a bit and close them at least temporarily...
Hope this helps

Last edited by petear; 07-25-2007 at 01:04 AM.

Closed Thread