It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2007, 10:46 PM   #1
(male)

lietopurify HB User
Consistent Bleeding after Surgery

I am on day 6 of recovery. On day 4, I woke up around 5:30 a.m. due to pain and having to pee. I went pee came back to my room and went to take my pain meds so I could head back to sleep. Due to the pain and the taste it took me about 3 swallows to get it all down. By the 3rd swallow I tasted blood so I jumped up and ran back to the bathroom and spit. Sure enough there was blood. So I shined the flashlight on the back of my throat and my left tonsil was covered in blood but not really oozing or coming out bad. It was just covered. At this point my mom was up and I showed her and she said we would go to the ER in afew minutes. Well my mom suffers from Fibra Mialgia (sp?). So she is on some pain meds which all in all caused her to faint that early in the morning and unable to take me anywhere. So I laid on my left side and fell back asleep evantually (on accident) and when I woke up, a blood scab had formed from my uvala to the side of my throat and the bleeding had stopped. So I went back to my normal recovery stuff. I took a shower later that day which when I got out my right side had started bleeding, much less than my left one just slightly. So I spit some and layed on my right side until it evantually stopped. There was no more bleeding for the rest of the day, I woke up that night to take my meds again and my right side had a even smaller bleed than before, it seemed to just be bright red but no blood dripping anywhere or even enough to really spit up so I quickly went back to sleep. The next day.. sure enough.. the right side again but worse the the first 2 times.. but still not that bad. After that stopped I had my mom call my ENT and he asked some questions and told me to come in the next day (today). I had one more small bleed the night before from a small coughing fit. No more bleed after that, good nights sleep with no bleeding I woke up and we went to the ENT and he said that it was weird I was bleeding like that but everything in my throat was looking great! So I left with a pretty good attitude got a smoothie, drinking water pretty steadily, pain level was the lowest its been in awhile. Then.. what do you know this evening my left side began to bleed again. Started off pretty mild I did my normal just lay down and when I went to check on it a blood clot was forming. It formed into a little bubble on the upper part of my left side and is pretty annoying feeling and hurts very badly if I spit or drink water as it is being tugged on. After that was all dried and there my right side started a tiny bit again but quickly went away. So here I am now, the blood clot hurts pretty bad when tugged on but isnt really producing any more blood. My parents keep saying to not sweat it unless it bleeds very badly. But I am one who worrys alot. I keep checking my throat every 10 min or anytime I think there is blood. I really don't know what to do, so I was checkin to see if anyone had any advice or experiances like mine and what they did. Sorry for the long long post!!! Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2007, 11:45 PM   #2
(male)

lietopurify HB User
Re: Consistent Bleeding after Surgery

After reading other things on this, my only possible guess is the scabs coming off... cause I just ate a popsicle and where it has bled... it burned sooo bad. From what I read, thats something that happens when you eat or drink cold things.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I was just about to tell you you are descabing darlin'. I descabed prematurely due to thrush three times and had to get additional chemical caurterizations.. two of them. The best thing to do when bleeding like this is sip ice water, keep and ice pack on your throat, and chew ice. Make sure you eat stuff that is not going to cling and drag on the wound site. This will take a few days to get through with the scabs getting thinner and thinner. If the blood is not fill your mouth our coming out in tandem with your heart beats.. it is a natural, light bleed.

Best of luck, you are almost through the worst.

Respectfully,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 06-05-2007 at 07:51 AM.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

My ENT told me that any bleeding afterwards was immediate concern and to go back to the ER for re-cauterization. But I didn't bleed at all. Now that I think about it, I think the previous poster is right, it's because of the cold!

If you sip ice water and keep the ice packs around your throat, that will probably stop it from bleeding. I wore those ice packs every single day and while I was sleeping (sitting up) for at least 10 days! I didn't have a single episode of bleeding at all! I'm convinced now that it's because of the ice packs!

Give it a try. You may find it works for you. They gave me these special ice packs at the hospital that I could tie behind my neck so that it ice is cradled in the throat area where the tonsils were removed. But I think that if you don't have something like that, perhaps a makeshift scarf-ish type thing with bags of frozen vegetables might work. Just make sure you have something like some cloth between your skin and the bag of ice or vegetables, otherwise you might get freezer burn on your skin!

Old 06-06-2007, 07:17 PM   #5
(male)

lietopurify HB User

Yesterday my doctor told me to call him if it bled again so I did and he ended up putting me under and re tearing of all the scabs and cauterizing it all again. I just woke up from a nap and god I hate re living this pain again. Since my brother did the same thing I did the doctor is guessing it is some kind of bleeding disorder we may have, something so rare it might not even have a name and next time (although my brother never rebled after the recauterization) if I do like I was he isnt gonna go right at working on me again but just watch it.

Closed Thread