It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2007, 07:59 PM   #1
(male)

bow57 HB User
Exclamation chronic choking, gagging, tickling, coughing, spasming

I've had a strange throat disorder for nearly a year now. It started with a head cold that turned into a cough -- and the cough, basically, has never gone away. First thing in the morning I can feel my larynx quivering and spasming, leading to a dry, painful, nonproductive cough. The area is contantly hypersensitive and hyperreactive. It feels as though there's diseased tissue down there, or an enlarged glottis or criccopharyngeal muscle, or an inflamed thyroid. The area is constantly burning and cinching and spasming. Mere inhalation or yawning triggers coughing. Sometimes an intense tickling seizes the throat in a paralytic vise, requiring a big gulp of water and cough drops. One ENT doctor was sure it was laryngeal or gastroesophageal reflux, but a regimen of Prilosec, Prevacid and a no-acid diet did not ameliorate the symptoms. Nasal sprays for post-nasal drip haven't helped at all. I have what's commonly referred to as "globus" -- a maddening feeling of trapped phlegm that needs clearing, and a sensation of a disc or some other object caught at the base of the tongue. One endoscopy revealed no esophageal abnormalities, though examination of the larynx via flexible scope did show acute inflammation. I'm constantly hoarse, and my voice waxes and wanes. I had an allergy panel (dust, etc.) that was negative, but I haven't been tested for possible food sensitivities. I have some more esophageal tests scheduled (24-hour PH monitoring, motility, etc.). I haven't had any sinus scans, and the upper trachea and bronchi don't seem to be involved. Does any of this sound familiar? Does anybody have a success story that might give me hope? Thanks, Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2007, 07:16 AM   #2
(female)

macrover180 HB User
Re: chronic choking, gagging, tickling, coughing, spasming

Greetings! Well I have had that same dry cough that you have mentioned..now everytime I speak it feels strained and I feel a slight twinge that startles me quite a bit. My head feels heavy,and I have these intense pressure headaches that starts on the right side and spreads to left all around my heads, forehead, my vision is getting blurrier-its hard to focus on items-and on top of that I feel like there is a huge weight on my chest because I appear to be having trouble breathing. I have just started with these symptoms(1 month) and I don't know what to do really..my doctor said its GERD, then she said its anxiety..I have had tests done since I been to the hospital way too many times but so far nothing significat-well thank goodness but still-sorry to hijack your thread but I just wanted to write what I have been experiencing and how it is slightly similar to yours. Well I hope you find a remedy soon! Take care and feel better

Closed Thread