It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2007, 01:10 AM   #1
(female)

badbeartonsil HB User
Unhappy Adult Tonsillectomy Agony

I am supposed to go back to work on 10th day post op...will I make it??

Last edited by badbeartonsil; 06-15-2007 at 06:43 AM.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
(female)

keepsmilin' HB User
Re: Adult Tonsillectomy Agony

I feel your pain. I am 30 and I had tonsillectomy and sinus surgery done on June 5th (today was day 6 for me). I had to wait 3 days before I got the packing out in my nose...those were agonizing days. After that, I thought, ok I can do this.That night I got to be what people refer to as Day 5 pain....AGONY! I am taking oxycodone every 4 hrs on the dot but it really wears off 2 hrs after taking. I am not nauseated anymore. Threw up the night of surgery but that was just from anesthesia I think. I just woke up from a nap and thought I was going to tear my head off.

I didnt really go looking to see what recovery was going to be like before I had the surgery. I was more worried about the surgery. I am glad that I didnt find out because I probably would have chickened out. Last night I read some threads from a year ago and it seems like a lot of people were say Day 10 is the magic day. I think I can make it if I had a day to look forward to.

What are you eating? I have had only broth with noodles, pudding, jello, lots of water, ice tea and some gatorade. My sis found ice cubes at Sonic that you can get an 8 lb bag...they are tiny little cubes. Easy to get in your mouth. Seems to help some.

I thought I had some of the scabs come off in my throat because I saw pink but then I looked again later and it was white again. I feel so swollen. Ugh! My husband took off work to be with me and take care of our 13 month old. I am so glad he did. I cant even imgaine having to take care of my little boy right now. Mom is coming tomorrow to take over.

Please let me know how you are doing. I took some comfort in the fact I was alone the day I went in to get my packing out because there was a guy there who looked just as miserable as me. I felt, ok I am not alone. This is normal. I felt bad for him though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2007, 10:49 PM   #3
(female)

badbeartonsil HB User

Oh my, you have had a rougher time than me. I am lucky to sail through the anesthetic part.

Last edited by badbeartonsil; 06-15-2007 at 06:42 AM.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:25 AM   #4
(female)

keepsmilin' HB User

Wow...my ENT had stressed to me at my pre-op to take my meds every 4 hr even if I didnt think I needed it. The first couple days I did because I was so miserable from having to breathe through my mouth but when the packing came out I thought I would wait 6 hrs to taking it. That night was when it got worse. I kept thinking in the beginning. I can do this. I have had strep so many times and tonsilitis just a month ago but I was wrong. Last night was even worse then when I wrote you. All those little knives people talked about feeling in their throat...yup...felt them. I got into bed after taking my med. along with lodicane. Hubby brought a ice wrap for my neck. I felt good for about an hour. Just as I felt myself getting tired it got bad again. Regardless I was able to sleep some. Husband went back to work today. Sister is staying with me today until mom flies in later. It hurts pretty bad today and I feel a little nauseated. I keep telling myself that this all means healing though. I had mashed potatos last night just to have something with consistency. I heard that having something with texture is suppose to help get rid of the scabs. Have you heard this?

No, I dont think I have it harder than you. I have my husband and I stay home with my baby, and goodness gracious, just working in an ER. You poor thing. Have you had much help? I dont know how I would have done if I didnt have all this help. One of our best friends in Afghan. too and his wife just had surgery on Wed. Havent heard from her though. I hope today is even better for you.I keep thinking that if we can make it to Day 10 there will be light at the end of the tunnel. I really do hope for your sake that you are feeling better by Saturday. Please let me know how you are doing. I looked forward to checking this morning hoping there was someone to understand my pain.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:27 PM   #5
(female)

badbeartonsil HB User

Had a better day; got lots done. I keep forgetting what time I took my last meds and it is getting me into trouble I think. So I wrote down what time I took my last ones so I can take them through the night.

Last edited by badbeartonsil; 06-15-2007 at 06:42 AM.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:02 PM   #6
(female)

keepsmilin' HB User

I just started taking my liquid codeine today because perc ran out. The dr is 45 minutes away and I couldnt get down there to get a written prescription today. I will have to try the advil. The liquid seemed to do ok. The hardest time I had was in the evening after I ate scrambled eggs and creamed corned (was dying for something different). I was crying it hurt so bad. I had to wait an hour to take meds again. My hubby came back from the airport with my mom to find me in bed with ice pack around my neck hardly talking. I was able to take meds right before they got home. Now they have kicked in...doesnt hurt as bad but still hurts. Some of the other posts I read from a year ago kept reassuring others that there was "a light at the end of the tunnel." I keep telling myself that. I am trying to stay positive. I had a c-section a year ago where my epidural wore off and i ended up feeling my surgery. I am not sure if they believed me until I told them the I could feel the staples pinching me. Also when I moved my legs to be put back on the stretcher the nurse's eyes got very big. Anyways, it took me awhile to be able to look at the video later. I was really nervous about this surgery even though it was a different anesthesia. So when I came through that ok I have been just trying to stay positive. I hadnt been positive right after the baby. I guess hormones played into that too. I wanted to be more positive this surgery even though recovery hurts A LOT more. Anyways, I have had lots of support and people taking care of me. I am letting them. I used to have a hard time with letting people do that. Day 7 is coming to an end. It still hurts pretty bad. I cant imagine what it is like without pain right now though.

Oh those ice chips. I love those ice chips from the hospital. The ice my sister found at Sonic is the closest thing to them that we could get. I think for your sake I hope your doc says not to go to work just because you need to take care of yourself. I would hate for you to get sick again. But I understand wanting to be there. I am sorry that you have had to miss it this long so far.

And I would love your mac 'n cheese. I have been craving homemade mac n' cheese...that and chicken salad with grapes and nuts in it. Popsicles just done seem appealing anymore. How much weight have you lost so far?

Oh the palpatations! I hate those. It freaked me out when I still had my packing in my nose and couldnt breathe. Speaking of nose. I went to kiss my little man goodnight tonight and he turned his head and hit it....OUCH!
Yup my suregery was right about that time in the AM too. My left side is starting to really hurt now that I have been typing a little. I am going to go put ice on it. I heard that helps with the ear but you probably already know that. I hope you get sleep tonight. Do you have any of the throat wash...lodicane ( i think that is what it is called)? You know I dont think that i would have been able to deal with the tonsillectomy if I hadnt gotten the sinus surgery because now I can actually breathe out of my nose with my mouth closed. That has helped with sleep.

Good luck tonight. I will be praying you get some relief as you sleep. Goodness knows we need some reprieve from this. I just never quite understood what people meant when they said it really hurt. They werent kidding.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:14 PM   #7
(female)

badbeartonsil HB User

Maybe the doctor can give me something else for pain. All they told me to take was liquid tylenol for kids (11 year old dose) and 10 mls of codiene. I really think I should have been given something stronger. I really feel like I am suffering. Will let you know after the doctor's appt what he said and if he offered me any relief.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:51 PM   #8
(female)

badbeartonsil HB User

I got out to a movie with a friend and rushed home to take my meds afterward. Let me know how it is going for you!

Last edited by badbeartonsil; 06-15-2007 at 06:41 AM.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:54 PM   #9
(female)

badbeartonsil HB User

Can't believe you are eating KD already Happily Saved, that is great, if you can eat like that then you might not get as sick from the meds as they are hard on the tummy.

Last edited by badbeartonsil; 06-15-2007 at 06:35 AM.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:11 PM   #10
(female)

keepsmilin' HB User

I am glad that you went to the dr., badbeartonsil. Just when you think the infections will stop they keep coming. I am actually on liquid keflex too...but mine doesnt taste like that. Maybe it has to do with country...who knows. I heard that they dont give antibiotics right away in the UK, is it the same in Canada? They started me on the antibiotic right after surgery. Did you get any sleep last night? I went to sleep at 12:45 and didnt wake up until 6:30 which was nice. I hope the extra codeine helps. Hubby picked up the other script so I will take that again. For your sake I do hope it gets better within 48 hrs...I am counting down for me too. After today I can really see what you are saying about getting to work. I havent done much since the surgery just because I am a bear to be aroundwhen I am not feeling well. And honestly I was pretty out of it for awhile. I dont remember much right after the surgery but I do remember hearing the nurse tell my husband that I wouldnt remember anything and that I was pretty much a light weight. I am starting to itch to get out in the real world again.I just want this throat pain gone!

Today was fine until about 4pm...then it started REALLY hurting. I really think it has to do with what foods I ate. I had popsicles, water, and a smoothie. At 4 I had some broth with noodles. That hurt. I was determined to have mac n' cheese for dinner tonight. I only at half because it hurt so bad. However my throat looks different. Looks like the white is trying to sledge off. Please God Please! Still hurts pretty bad right now. I am going to take more meds at 11:20 and then head to bed. I am kinda dealing with some sinus headaches too. At this point I dont know what is from what. Is it from the work on my nose or is it that fact that my throat is still pretty swollen. I am really hoping that I wake up on Thursday with that magic of, oh I feel so much better. I do have my 2nd post-op tomorrow. I'll let you know what they tell me. Hope you get sleep tonight and get some pain relief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbeartonsil View Post
Hi Keep Smilin, an update. Went to the fam doc today and he said my throat looks infected so he put me on liquid Keflex. Truly it tastes like liquid farts lmao, but if it provides relief...then great. He also said I can double my codeine dose. He thinks in 48 hours I will feel some relief and if I want to go back to work I can if I feel I can manage the pain..so the plan IS to go back to work on Sat.

How are you doing? Today was a tiny bit better than yesterday even though doctor said infected. Better in that I didn't need as much medicine but when the pain hits it hits fast and hard. I got out to a movie with a friend and rushed home to take my meds afterward. Let me know how it is going for you!

Old 06-12-2007, 06:17 PM   #11
(female)

keepsmilin' HB User

I had to laugh what badbeartonsil said, happily saved. I was thinking I wish I had had this done when I was 20. Not because it doesnt hurt you but they say the younger you are the quicker your body heals. So for your sake I am glad you got it done earlier than later. I thought of you when I was trying oh so hard to eat my mac n cheese for dinner. I hope that it continues for you. Dont be discouraged if it gets tougher though. It is a sign of healing. However there are some people who do fine through out it all. Oh and yes, mu uvula (sp?) is not pretty or happy at all. I had drainage but I didnt know if it was from my sinus surgery. Let us know how you are doing tomorrow!

Old 06-12-2007, 07:54 PM   #12
(female)

badbeartonsil HB User

Haha, Keep Smiling, I must have planted the mac'n cheese thingy in your head the other day...was it homemade???

Last edited by badbeartonsil; 06-15-2007 at 06:34 AM.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:15 PM   #13
(male)

lietopurify HB User

I am 19 and I am on day 6 of my post op of my tonsillectomy. But I should really count it as day 13 of post op. Except I had 2 extra surgerys afterwards due to rebleeds (one on day 6 and then again 28 hours after). My right side is almost healed completley. It hardly even hurts anymore it is just like a mild sore throat. My left side where I had the rebleeds is still killing me though. I think I am on my 10th bottle of liquid hydrocodone. I am pretty happy to be feeling as good as I am though. The first 6 days after my initial surgery were awful. I can't really say anything about that suffering that hasn't been said in this forum. I hope you all recover fast and good and don't have any complications like myself!

Old 06-12-2007, 11:22 PM   #14
(female)

badbeartonsil HB User

Geesh, wow you have had a time of it. Glad you are mostly feeling better now and that is the end of the complications for you. Can't wait for the first "bug" that I catch and it doesn't turn to tonsillitis!

Last edited by badbeartonsil; 06-15-2007 at 06:34 AM.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:36 AM   #15
(female)

keepsmilin' HB User

got to get to my post op but wanted to say to happily saved...popsicles, popsicles, popsicles. They are the only thing that I feel can get you through any stage of the pain.

Will write more later.

Closed Thread