It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2007, 05:15 PM   #1
(male)

eyunghans HB User
Question Septoplasty & Limited FESS Surgery tomorrow... do you need a breathing tube?

Hey everyone-

Tomorrow I'm going in for a septoplasty to remove a bone spur blocking off my left sinus and getting limited FESS on my left side to (hopefully) help with my drainage problems... I'm excited for sinus pressure free days, but also a bit timid at the same time.

I know plenty of people here have had this surgery performed... did anyone have a breathing tube inserted? I have a slight neck/throat phobia, and the thought of having a tube inserted in my throat is scaring me to death (even though I know I will be knocked out). Is is necessary for a septoplasty?

Thanks everyone,
eyunghans

Old 06-13-2007, 03:17 PM   #2
(female)

LauraDan HB User
Re: Septoplasty & Limited FESS Surgery tomorrow... do you need a breathing tube?

I am an operating room RN. Yes you will have a breathing tube placed(endotracheal tube). This is just temporary while you're asleep. It will be removed after surgery is over before you wake up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2007, 03:37 PM   #3
(male)

eyunghans HB User
Re: Septoplasty & Limited FESS Surgery tomorrow... do you need a breathing tube?

Thanks for the reply LauraDan! I actually had the surgery on Monday and I did have a tube inserted. I had a slight scratchy throat after I woke up, but that was it.

I had a chance to speak with my anesthesiologist for a while and he calmed my fears...

Thanks!
eyunghans

Closed Thread