It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2007, 08:55 PM   #1
(female)

tinymom05 HB User
throat problems

i went to an ENT about post nasal drip and he was going to do a catscan on me and he looked down into my throat cause i was coughing up stuff from time to time and he said at that point he saw nothing. but i never went to get the catscan done cause of money issues and now i constantly feel like something is caught in my throat especially after eating. i even coughed something up (not to be gross) this evening and not sure what it was. i have some problems with bad breath and wondering if food is getting caught in the back of my throat. the ENT told me tonsils may have to come out but i am an adult and he said it will be painful, but why is food getting caught in the back of my throat or what is going on?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2007, 08:59 AM   #2
(female)

k3ya HB User
Re: throat problems

Well, I don't know if this is what it is, but it might be tonsil stones. That's when your tonsils have deep crypts in them (holes) and the food gets trapped in those, then over time bacteria and anything else build up with it and it turns hard. So it looks like a white thing on your tonsil if you see it. I had that for awhile, and I would cough up those white things. (they stink really bad) So, if that is what you are getting, then I hate to tell you this but the only cure is to get those tonsils out. I had mine removed on the 7th because of that, and I'm still in recovery, but it will be worth it. No more bad breath

To get rid of the white things by hand, you can try to reach back there with a q-tip and push them out, or use some kind of not-pointy object to get them out. I used a q-tip for a long time, then went to a metal face extracting thing (it has hoops on both ends and is long). That's how I kept mine out till I had the surgery. Sadly enough, the white stuff does come back alot, so you need to do that quite a bit. Hydrogen Peroxide works for some people too, but mine were too deep for that to really have an effect. You can try that too though.

Best wishes, it may be something else but I thought I'd tell you about tonsil stones just incase.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2007, 09:33 PM   #3
(female)

tinymom05 HB User

yeah i keep thinking tonsil stones it smells really bad when they come out, i bet that is what i have

Old 06-20-2007, 09:34 PM   #4
(female)

tinymom05 HB User

oh by the way does it hurt really bad to get your tonsils out? i am 24 and i hear it hurts as an adult. thanks for any info

Old 06-21-2007, 07:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

The pain is mainly due to the fact the tonsils in an adult are more deeply rooted and thus your ENT will have to dig deeper to get them out. Bleeding is always a concern but can be managed and looked out for if you treat yourself right. The worst of the pain is caused by lymphatic swelling in the area pinching nerves at the back of the jaw.

A steroidal shot or steroidal dose pack in conjuction with lydocaine based ear drops (oticaine), ice packs on the throat, drinking lots of ice water, and a heating pad for the ears make it readily manageable. It wasn't worse than 13 and a half hours of labor.. or some of my really bad strep incidences.. I was 31 and would do it again if the need arose tomorrow.

Sincerely,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 06-21-2007 at 07:37 AM.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:52 PM   #6
(female)

tinymom05 HB User

so how long does the pain last after the surgery?

Closed Thread