It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2007, 10:07 PM   #1
(male)

ctrl-alt-del HB User
Question Why do I keep on smelling a foul smell that isn't even there?

I can't quite remember how long ago this started and what might have triggered it - but as of the last few weeks, I have been 'smelling' a foul smell, at various times of day - that isn't even there. Sometimes it smells like sweaty feet or dirty socks, and sometimes it smells like a rotten vegetable. No one else around me can smell it except me.

I heard of the condition called "phantom smells" (phantosmia) and it is hinting on possible nerve damage to the smell system.

I had nothing else happen to me except the occasional cold/common flu and a dislocation of my jaw (which resulted in a serious TMJ disorder). I do not smoke or do illicit drugs.

Any ideas?

Old 06-12-2007, 07:50 AM   #2
(female)

joeybinx77 HB User
Re: Why do I keep on smelling a foul smell that isn't even there?

I could smell cigarette smoke in our house always where no one smoked and where the doors and windows were closed so it ruled out anyone smoking outside. It was really weird, and then one day it stopped! I still don't know how it started! But anyway.... Could it be that you have an infection in your sinuses, sometimes you can smell something horrible and it is just the buildup of the infection. I've had this before, and although it smells pretty bad, it doesn't smell like you are describing. Other than that I am afraid I can't really help.
I think if you had nerve damage in your nose affecting smell you would have had some explanation as to why that happened - ie obvious and ongoing damage to the nasal membranes etc.
Good luck and I hope you find out what is happening soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
(male)

ctrl-alt-del HB User
Re: Why do I keep on smelling a foul smell that isn't even there?

Alright - thanks for all your replies. Maybe mine is just an infection of some sort because I only started noticing it after getting my last cold...

happily_saved - I'm 20.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
(female)

jfizzy HB User
Thumbs up Re: Why do I keep on smelling a foul smell that isn't even there?

My mom experienced this after she had a really bad upper respiratory infection. Her's was called Troposmia. She couldn't eat certain things (most things) and she would smell this really foul odor around greasy food areas or in most foods. It lasted about 8-9 months and she really thought she wasn't ever going to get her taste or smell back. But, one day she started getting better. Research these on the web. The web can help. Good luck!

Closed Thread