It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2007, 07:14 PM   #1
(female)

Miccolene16 HB User
Lightbulb Having tonsillectomy the 22nd of June-- anyone else?

Hi everyone. I posted a few months ago because my boyfriend (27 years old) had to have a tonsillectomy and this board was super helpful in preparing for his operation. Now, ironically, I have to have my tonsils out on June 22nd (I totally and completely blame him! hehe). I know what to expect for the most part, having witnessed it first hand.

Anyway, is anyone else having surgery around that time? Maybe we could keep in contact on a thread to see how we are doing in comparison to everyone else.

Anyone have any last words of wisdom for me?? thanks a lot!

Old 06-13-2007, 08:28 AM   #2
(female)

k3ya HB User
Re: Having tonsillectomy the 22nd of June-- anyone else?

Well I already had mine removed on the 7th, so I can't go through it WITH you, but I can tell you to try to avoid hiccups that happened to me on the 11th because I was eating crackers or whatever. Yeah I hate hiccups....and the sore throat made it no better. You should try to have someone take care of you for the first 3 days, like get you water and stuff, because you will not feel like getting up and doing it if you take the medicine they give you. I'm sure you know this because of your bf, but I thought I'd bring it up anyways. Best of luck to you! I hope it goes well! Just remember, it's gonna be worth it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2007, 09:53 AM   #3
(female)

Miccolene16 HB User

Thanks so much for responding! I will do my best to avoid the hiccups. I am actually flying home to California to have the procedure done so my mom can take care of me around the clock for the first few days. I remember I was next to my boyfriend 24/7 for the first while because he was so drugged and sleepy. Thanks for the advice, I will be posting on here to see how everything goes next week.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:50 AM   #4
(female)

k3ya HB User

Yeah, I'm only 17 so I live with my mom half the time, and she took care of me for the first 3 days. By day 4 I could get up and walk and stuff, so she had me go to my dads house to be closer to a hospital (2 miles versus 30 miles). I'm doing ALOT better today (day 6). I hope it all goes smooth for you. If your mom gives you a bell to ring, try not to overuse it. hehehe....I was annoying my older sister with it so bad. Oh and I re-read what I said, and I didn't mean that crackers WILL give you the hiccups, they just did to me for some reason. Actually, letting a soda cracker melt in your mouth may keep you from vomiting. Oh and don't be scared if you do vomit after surgery on the first day, I threw up twice the night after my surgery and I read that it's normal. But it's terrible to go through, so I just thought I'd warn you.

Once again, best wishes and I hope it goes smooth for you! I know I'm aching to shop and get my hair done after I'm healed. Maybe even swim.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:27 AM   #5
(female)

lady99 HB User

I'm scheduled to have my tonsils removed on June 22nd, along with a septoplasty to correct my deviated septum. It will be done as out-patient surgery. My son (17) had the same surgery last August, so I kind of know what to expect, too. Except..... on day 10 he began to bleed which was awful. I'm planning to do that

Old 06-16-2007, 11:28 AM   #6
(female)

lady99 HB User

oops! Meant to say... I'm NOT planning to do that - ha!

Old 06-18-2007, 01:53 AM   #7
(female)

Miccolene16 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Having tonsillectomy the 22nd of June-- anyone else?

Thanks for your comments! Only five days until surgery, I didn't have any pre op instructions so I'm doing everything normal. I rarely get nauseaus so I am crossing my fingers that I won't barf after the operation! My boyfriend has a fairly week stomach, and he made it through the first ten days after his tonsillectomy just fine. Day ten brought severe bleeding, uncontrollable vomiting, and a trip to the ER. I am hoping to avoid that completely. It will be nice to be home though (I'm 22) so my mom will take care of me, also my dad is a surgeon so that is comforting knowing he is home in case something does happen.

Hope you are all doing week, and those of you with upcoming surgeries good luck with everything! I'm sure I will be back on here with more questions and comments.

oh, bytheway, have you people been losing weight post surgery?

Old 06-18-2007, 08:12 AM   #8
(female)

Sorrel11 HB User

Miccolene16, I am having a tonsillectomy June 21 and I would be more than happy to go through the experience with you. We can be our own little support system. I am so scared!...of everything!...bleeding, vomiting, the pain. I'm not usually such a baby but my five year old son had it three months ago and I watched him suffer and considering it is apparently worse for adults (I'm 31) that doesn't sit well with me. My plan is to stay as well rested as possible and try to stay positive. Is your bf happy he did it?

Old 06-18-2007, 08:45 AM   #9
(male)

JoseinMiami HB User
Thumbs up Re: Having tonsillectomy the 22nd of June-- anyone else?

I'm almost 6 weeks post Op. I'm 90% back to normal (I'm 35, so I'm right on schedule). I still have a little metallic taste when I eat sweets, but other than that I am glad I did it.

I would recommend you read LisaMP's Guide to Adult Tonsillectomy. It is the very first posting on this board. I found it extremely helpful.

My worst days/nights were the 5th night and the 6th day. At first I could swallow the pills, but when the scabs start to come off, the pain is too great. Liquid tylenol with codeine worked as long as I took it every 3 hours.

Good luck and hang in there. You will be glad you did it.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:01 AM   #10
(female)

lady99 HB User

A septoplasty will straighten the deviated septum, or crooked bone in my nose. It has prevented me from breathing normally for years, and I'm finally going to have it done.

I'm trying not to worry myself too much, but it's not easy. These last couple of days, I'm finding myself easily sidetracked... more than usual! I'm taking a statistics class this summer... my final is Thursday, surgery Friday. I was hoping to plan things that way, and it is helping to keep my mind off of surgery.

I'm 46 yrs. old, and know that recovery will be SLOW. Because of my age, I had an EKG and chest X-ray done as well as the bloodwork and sinus CT. I'm looking forward to positive results when this is all over.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:21 AM   #11
(female)

were2alike HB User

Hi i had a tonsilectomy in 2003 an it healed in 2weeks an the best thing for me befor the procedure i had painful lymphnodes swells painful mouth ulcers an face pain all strep test come back neg an no detection of any viruse but missery im better since the tonsilectomy

Old 06-18-2007, 11:36 AM   #12
(female)

erinprincess HB User
Smile Re: Having tonsillectomy the 22nd of June-- anyone else?

Hey all! I am getting my tonsils out on the 26th. Only a few days after some of you get yours out. After reading some of these posts I'm kinda expecting it not to be the most pleasant experience. I think I am most afraid of the re-bleeding and loss of taste. Are these normal? Anyways! Any advice or suggestions would be great!

Old 06-18-2007, 11:42 AM   #13
(female)

Miccolene16 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Having tonsillectomy the 22nd of June-- anyone else?

Four Day Countdown! Ok lemme address everything. I fly to California tomorrow, and I am so happy I decided to go home for this.

Sorrell1: yay! A pain buddy! We can definitely talk to each other and go through this together. You should plan on it being really different from your son though, it is worse for adults. I saw my boyfriend go through every single part of this process, so I am definitely prepared. He is extremely happy that he did it, he feels so much better. I have a list of things to do and things not to do that I compiled for his surgery that will help out a lot- Iíd be happy to share it with you.

JoseinMiami: 6 weeks post op, Iím jealous. Wanna trade? I have read Lisaís guide, it was really helpful. Glad to know there is light at the end of the tunnel. Did you lose weight after the surgery?

Lady99: Good idea planning your stats class until Thursday to keep your mind busy. I hope your surgery goes well- Iím interested to see how you feel. Get tons of rest! We will be here for support.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:20 PM   #14
(female)

lady99 HB User

Erin..... we'll be a few days ahead of you.... it might help you to look ahead to see what to expect next

Miccolene... hope your trip to CA is a good one... it's good that you will be close to family in case you need their help.

My sister is planning to visit a couple of days to help out. She's a nurse, and it will be good to have her at my follow-up visit. My 17 yr. old can also make trips to the store, etc. I don't think my husband understands what recovery will be like, and that I will probably be on or near the couch for the first week or so.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:24 PM   #15
(female)

lady99 HB User

Sorrel... I just realized that you'll be a day ahead of Miccolene and I. It will be great to compare notes

Closed Thread