It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2007, 08:31 PM   #1
(female)

k3ya HB User
Had my tonsils removed on the June 7th.

I'm 17. I'm doing good so far, day 1 and 2 were the worst for me. But from what I've been reading, when the scabs come off it gets worse again? Can anyone fill me in on that? I'd like to know what's coming up. Also I'm not so scared of the pain from the scabs coming off, but I'm afraid of swallowing them. No idea why, I have it stuck in my mind that if they come off while I'm sleeping I'll choke or something. I've looked at the back of my throat (it doesn't gross me out) and the scab looks like it's coming off on the right side. So could someone tell me if they spit up the scab or swallowed it while they were sleeping? Or just how they came off? Thank you. I've been reading these boards but I couldn't find my exact answer, just ones pretty close.
Also...does anyone know stuff to eat while going through this that can keep your weight up? I was already underweight and trying to gain weight....and now after this surgery since I haven't eaten as much I'm afraid I'll become too weak. I only weighed 91 lbs when they weighed me before surgery. It may not be much to be scared of, but I really don't like being this skinny. (I've been a non-red meat eater since I was born)

Old 06-12-2007, 08:58 PM   #2
(female)

Hayley219 HB User
Re: Had my tonsils removed on the June 7th.

Hey - about the scab thing....The only thing that made me realize they were coming off is because swallowing cold liquids became unbearable (luke warm was fine though). It just caused a pain when the liquid touched the back of my throat - it wasn't as bad as i expected (though I continued to live on my meds just in case!) and waking up in the morning was the worse. About swallowing them....honestly, I can't even tell you what a scab looks like because apparently i swallowed mine when either eating or sleeping...never coughed one up! I never felt them come off! I hope this give you a little more info!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2007, 10:42 PM   #3
(female)

k3ya HB User

thank you! i hope mine are like that...

Its midnight now and I can't sleep because my stomache was hurting....I really need to eat more. I made myself some chocolate milk that's supposed to be full of protein. dunno if that was a great idea now though because my ears started hurting again. ah well.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

chikkie14 HB User

Hi just wanna know from someone who had it... is it better or worse to have the tonsils removed? My ent is urging me to have them removed but I am honetly so scared! Im so scared of pain

Old 06-15-2007, 05:00 AM   #5
(female)

k3ya HB User

If you need it done then you should get it done The pain is...erm....well it makes you think it's not worth it, but I'm going through mine okay. Ear pains and stuff are what hurt at night mostly, and it may give you little scares here and there like I had this morning. But overall, if you do need it done, you'll be happy you did. Plus they give you medicine to make it not-as-bad. Atleast, they did for me. The 10 days of healing take forever though, trust me.

But like I said, if you need it done you should get it done and over with. I guess you could wait a few years to see if anything new comes out, but I'd rather just get it done now and not have to think about it later. hehe

Old 06-17-2007, 07:57 PM   #6
(female)

k3ya HB User

Ok, its day 10 now. I'm eating solid foods finally! I have been since yesterday. I did however, wake up the morning of day 8 to bleeding, but it stopped. The spot that it had been bleeding in still kinda hurts when I eat, but I'm putting up with it just to be able to eat solid food. The only thing that's really bothering me is at night when i lay on my left ear, it starts to hurt pretty bad. Hopefully that will go away soon though. My uvula is back to almost the original size and everything. I'm so happy! My voice is still a little off, but I can talk normally. Best feeling ever. I ate chocolate cake earlier hehe. Hope everyone elses recovery is doing good!

--K3YA

Old 06-18-2007, 08:59 AM   #7
(male)

JoseinMiami HB User

I had my tonsils removed about 6 weeks ago, and I am soooo glad I did it. No more nasty stones and painful infections!!!!

You will go through 2 miserable weeks, including 2 or 3 very painful days and nights, but after it gets so much better. Do now because the older you get the more painful it is. Take it from me, I'm 35 and I was told to get them out when I was 18.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:57 AM   #8
(female)

kk912 HB User

I am 50 years old and had my tonsils removed on June 7 as well. I cannot believe how well my recovery went, but it was 1 week of REAL pain.
I think the most important thing to do is stay hydrated. I sucked on ice-chips all the time and drank ice-tea and ate jello when I got home from the hospital. It was very painful and I could not swallow much without first taking my liquid vicodin. My doctor told my husband that I could eat whatever I wanted or could tolerate, so by day 2 or 3 I had mashed potatoes and moved on to more solid foods. Lukewarm soups also felt good on my throat.
I did get sick (vomiting) on the 2nd day from all the pain med's. I just had to decrease the dose, but I did not experience any bleeding or did not notice the scabs coming off.Day 4 I woke up feeling like I was choking. Maybe that's when the scabs were coming off, but I don't know. Day 7 woke up and actually felt like I could get by without my pain med's. My ENT perfomed the "traditional" tonsillectomy and I praised him for doing such an outstanding surgery at my post-op appt.(being my age for a tonsillectomy!!)
I am now 3 weeks post-op and still have some pain on the right side, but very little. I returned to work after 2 weeks.
If I can help others or if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to help you through this. I really believe the key to a good recovery is drinking and swallowing even if it hurts. Chewing gum helped me too.
Good luck with your recovery.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:38 PM   #9
(female)

lady99 HB User

Hi kk912.... at 46, I'm right behind you!! I've wanted to have my tonsils removed for a LONG time, and finally glad that I have. My surgery was last Friday, the 22nd. I also had a septoplasty done to straighten my deviated septum.

This week has been tough, but the meds have kept most of the pain in check. I've been using liquid Hydrocodone w/ Tylenol without any problems with nausea, etc. I'm still taking my meds around the clock at this point. I'm feeling the scabs starting to break apart. I guess it's part 2 of the healing process.

I'm glad that I've had 2 weeks to set aside to heal. And, if it goes a few days beyond that, my family will just have to understand. They've been good about it all so far.

I've tried chewing gum which helped in the short term, but then my muscles hurt more the next day.

Thanks for sharing your helpful information. I'll keep you posted on my recovery.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:41 PM   #10
(female)

fire within HB User

Lady99 I had my tonsilectomy the same day as you . It's know day 8 and i'm always feeling like i'm chocking/coughing the in the middle of the night . I stoped taking my pain meds two days ago. Not realy in that kind of pain I was giving liquid and pill for loritab. My throat feels like it's on fire at all time do you have any suggestions ?

Last edited by fire within; 06-29-2007 at 09:42 PM.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:36 AM   #11
(female)

lady99 HB User

Hi Fire.... My worst part of the day... is at night. First of all, I'm sleeping about 3 - 4 hrs. at a time, and still taking my meds around the clock. My sleep pattern has been this way since surgery.

My problem is that I fall asleep with my mouth open and my throat dries out. I wake up dreading the first 5 minutes or so, knowing that the pain will be awful. I agree with you, it's a burning feeling... or more like being on fire. I have one side that is much more painful than the other.

Some people have suggested using a humidifier to help keep the air moist as you sleep. I tried our vaporizer, but didn't find that it helped much. Although, our vaporizer hasn't been used in 10 years and I don't how effective it is.

I'll begin to cut down on my meds this coming week, but I'll let my body be my guide. One day this week, I was out with my son at a meeting, and went nearly 2 hours past my med time. I didn't think it would be a big deal, but by the time I got home, I was in terrible pain... even my neck hurt, which I hadn't had a problem with before.

As far as foods... right now, I prefer warm foods like soups, etc. The cold stuff was good at first, but now hurts and causes ear pain. Who knows.. in a few days I might prefer cold things again???? Just remember to stay on soft foods. On day 10 of my son's surgery last year, he ate something that scratched his throat and he began to bleed terribly. We don't want that to happen to us.

Closed Thread