It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2007, 06:19 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

chikkie14 HB User
Whats it like to have tonsillectomy?? pre and post op??

Hi my doctor is urging me to have tonsilectomy... My tonsils are constantly swelling... im puzzled though coz its not painful.. i can just see that there are pus build up inside and its like a pimple tickling my throat.. I also feel so constricted .. like someone is strangling me! There are times my throat feels like its gonna close! Is this noirmal for a tonsilitis? I have never had tonsilitis during childhood thats why I really dont know what to expect... I am so scared to undergo tonsillectomy, from what I have read its really horrible.. is it really that bad?? please help??

Old 06-15-2007, 09:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Whats it like to have tonsillectomy?? pre and post op??

It is managable.. not a walk in the park.. it is major surgery in your throat after all.. but if you get the proper pain regime going, the steriodal pack/shot and drink lots of water and take it easy it will be a long week but things will turn around ant the end. It hurt, but it was the fatigue and inability to sleep that drove me bonkers. Think of it as an extreme diet.. you will lose weight.

I had to be recaurterized twice due to bleeding and if my tonsils grew back by some magical means I would have then cut out again. The way my health has improved has been spectacular.. I have no second thoughts about my surgery back in October.

Sincerely,
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2007, 08:04 PM   #3
(female)

happily_saved HB User

Hi There...

I guess it depends on how old you are. If you are really young... like 15 or whatever then I dont think it would be too bad... but... if you are over 20 then boy oh boy. Hun, I'm just going to be upfront with you. I dont want to scare you but it's important you know what to expect. I am 20 years old and I got my tonsils removed on Monday.. it has now been 5 days for me (counting the day of surgery) The first two days werent bad. I thought maybe I'd be the special one and wouldnt end up getting the severe pain everyone talked about. On day 2 I even ate Kraft Dinner. I think I was a little too hopeful! On day 3 the pain really hit. I felt these scabs at the back of my throat hanging, and every time I would swallow I would gag so bad. My uvula was also 4 times the size. I had terrible mucus and had to stick to simply liquids. On day 4... (yesterday) it was a nightmare. My mom insisted that I try to eat normal foods. In the afternoon I ate 1.5 small bowls of AlphaGhetti and had two sips of apple juice. Later that evening I threw up. The acid was intense! (This could be from the meds I was taking though for pneumonia and the fact that I ate alphaghetti which has tomatoe sauce which holds alot of acid) I took gravol but it didnt ease up. 2 hours later my dad brought me to the hospital. I ended up being in the hospital allllll night until 7 in the morning. I threw up 4 times and was hooked up to an IV all night. I feel much better today. If you would have asked me yesterday, I would have told you that getting my tonsils removed was the biggest mistake I ever made. No one could have payed me a million dollars to chose to do it. But today... as things have lightened up and I'm past the tremendous HELL, I think it may have been a good choice after all. For people who get tonsilitis once or twice a year I will honestly say I think its dumb to get them removed. I was getting tonsilitis 2-3 times A MONTH! If you do decided to get them removed... all I can say is prepare ahead of time.

-Stock up on kleenex big time!
-Make sure you have a garbage pail and choose a spot in your house you will spend your days.. ex: Living room couch.
-Make sure you have people to take care of you that truly care about your well being.
-Stick to liquids (water, flat ginger ale, popsicles) for atleast the first 5 days even if your feeling brave.
-You might want to stay away from ice cream for the first bit... It's really hard to swallow... sticks easily to the back of your throat.
-Keep your head propped up high when sleeping.
-You will likedly feel scabs hanging down the back of your throat (made me throw up a lot) and eventually it will turn into a big hairball feeling.
-You might have saliva build up... be sure not to spit this out. It's SOO HARD to swallow it but you have to swallow it to keep your throat moist and to keep you hydrated. It apparently speeds up the healing.
-Even if you feel like you can talk.. try not to!
-Around day 4/5 you may be able to chew gum/suck on hard candy. This will help to produce saliva and it will excercise your jaw muscles which will relax your throat and ease the pain.
-Try not to clear your throat, cough, or gargle.
-Avoid chocolate pudding for the first little while as it causes a lot of pain back there.
-take your meds on time, get lots of rest.
-Keep hydrated, DRINK LOTS!

I could go on and on about the many things to do.... its a neverending list. I hope this helps you in making the right choice.

I'm off to bed. Tomorrow is day 6 for me. I heard its supposed to be a good day

_Danielle

Old 06-16-2007, 08:56 PM   #4
(female)

bula HB User

Im on day seven and have only had a tiny bleed but lots of pain.seven years ago my throat did actualy close due to chronic tonsillitis and i had to go in hospital so i would say its worth having them removed the pain is bad now but not any worse than that occasion

Old 06-17-2007, 04:49 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

chikkie14 HB User

Hi thanks so much for your replies! Happily your post is really helpful thanks a bunch I still dont know if I am ready to go through with it. My knees are honestly shaking everytime I think about it! And the thing is I am 26! so I am expecting it to be really bad.

I think my case is not as bad... I have been having tonsililits every now and then but this month is the worst so far as I had it twice with only 2 weeks gap.. and there is always pus in them... I've heard about the heart complications and thats whats really scaring me whenever I have throat problems... Isnt there any other solution other then surgery?

Old 06-17-2007, 06:35 AM   #6
(female)

happily_saved HB User

Hey girl.... heart complications? Do you mean from the infection from getting tonsilitis? Your 26 eh? aww poor thing. If you are getting it often then maybe it is best to get them removed. The only thing I can say that has truly helped me through this is prayer Back to bed for me ;o) The tylenol is kicking in!

_Danielle

Old 06-18-2007, 06:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I am 31.. the longer you wait the worse it is.. don't hesitate because of pain because your ability to recover and heal will only get worse.

Respectfully,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 06-18-2007 at 06:53 AM.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:54 AM   #8
(male)

JoseinMiami HB User

Read LisaMP's Guide to Adult Tonsillectomy. First thread on this board. It helps.

JMM

Old 06-18-2007, 10:38 AM   #9
(female)

lady99 HB User

That's how I feel, MG.... I'm 46 now, and don't want to turn 50 still thinking about having a septoplasty/tonsillectomy. Although, looking back on posts from long ago, there was a 67 yr. young tonsillectomy patient that posted. Her strength through all this was encouraging.

I'm surprised and relieved to know that so many adults have tonsillectomies done.

JMM, I've read over Lisa MP's guide - you're right, it does seem very helpful.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:08 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

If it also helps. I have had a heart condition since birth. Irreg heart beat and murmur.. I pulled through with out problems in that regard. Now I am healthier than ever.. not sick working out daily and my heart is stronger than ever.

People with heart problems must be extremely cautious of infections like strep and tonsillitus getting in the blood stream and going to the heart. Take care and they will load you with anti-biotics during and after the surgery to prevent problems in this regard.

If your tonsils are harboring infection there is no way to solve the problem other than removing them. And the more your tonsils are infected the more likely you will suffer secondary complications. Get them out as recommended.

Sincerely,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 06-18-2007 at 11:12 AM.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:34 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I had mine removed when I was 36 years old and wished I'd done it long long ago. When I was in elementary school, I had numerous bouts of strep, tonsilitis. Left my tonsils pitted, scarred and chronically infected. I was forever hacking up curdlike pieces of infection. Later took to pushing on them to get rid of them, gargling -- nothing worked and I was so self concsious of my breath.

ENT said they were FULL of infection -- huge. The stuff I was pushing on to get out was only the tip of a very big iceberg. Swear an area the size of a golf ball was removed on one side. ENT indicated no amount of antibiotic was ever going to get rid of it. My tonsils were making me sick -- I'd suffered from what I thought were sinus infection headaches for years. Tonsils removed -- no more headaches.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:53 AM   #12
(female)

lady99 HB User

Thanks for the encouragement.... I'm looking forward to feeling better in the future. Year before last was my worst. I've been a teacher, but am now changing careers.

Teaching 1st grade, I was surrounded by coughs, sneezes and runny noses. I basically stayed sick all year. Last year I tutored at my same school. I was better, but was still surprised that I would catch every sore throat, etc., that went around. I wonder if I may continuously keep some sort of infection and it flares up from time to time.

I've been wanting to have this surgery for years, and wish I'd had it done years ago. No looking back, right?!?

Old 06-20-2007, 04:18 PM   #13
(female)

mogirl87 HB User

My brother is 19, and he got his tonsils taken out. He lost so much blood he passed out, luckily my mom caught him. I would NOT recommend this to ANYONE for ANY reason. He had no reason to have his taken out other than they were large. His adnoids were growing into the back of his throat, but his tonsils weren't any problem.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:18 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mogirl,

If he snored and had chronic infections it is standard to take them out.. adnoids are not as likely to retain infection as Tonsils are... Tonsils are also the main source in conjunction with an elongated pallet for sleep apnea.

As too bleeding. Out of my mom and her thirteen brothers and sisters.. the seven women all got theirs removed after the age of 21.. the men 18 or younger. My son and I.. me at 31 and my son at 3.5 yrs had our T&A's. I was the only one to have bleeding issues and I was aware when it happened and able to get to the hospital easily. My bleeding was a result of premature scab shedding due to thrush.

What technique was performed on your brother? Did he have any extenuating circumstances? Was he following MD's orders and resting, no talking, drinking plenty of water? Who performed his surgery? An ENT? Oral Surgeon? Dentists? I would answer those question before saying don't do this.. my families quality of life has improved 300% as has mine. I would gladly trade my 3 bouts of bleeding and two weeks of pain for the person I am now. And I would do it all again if i had too.

SIncerely,
MG

Old 06-21-2007, 10:01 PM   #15
(female)

mogirl87 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgbrook View Post
Mogirl,

If he snored and had chronic infections it is standard to take them out.. adnoids are not as likely to retain infection as Tonsils are... Tonsils are also the main source in conjunction with an elongated pallet for sleep apnea.

As too bleeding. Out of my mom and her thirteen brothers and sisters.. the seven women all got theirs removed after the age of 21.. the men 18 or younger. My son and I.. me at 31 and my son at 3.5 yrs had our T&A's. I was the only one to have bleeding issues and I was aware when it happened and able to get to the hospital easily. My bleeding was a result of premature scab shedding due to thrush.

What technique was performed on your brother? Did he have any extenuating circumstances? Was he following MD's orders and resting, no talking, drinking plenty of water? Who performed his surgery? An ENT? Oral Surgeon? Dentists? I would answer those question before saying don't do this.. my families quality of life has improved 300% as has mine. I would gladly trade my 3 bouts of bleeding and two weeks of pain for the person I am now. And I would do it all again if i had too.

SIncerely,
MG
my brother snored slightly, but it would more loud breathing... and he didnt really have infections, the ENT just saw them and said they had to come out. he was getting his sinuses checked at the time.

he wasn't drinking as much as he should have been right after surgery, but he was fine a few days after it. he went grocery shopping with us, and went out to eat at a mexican restaurant the night before and ate full solid meals no problem, with drinking plenty of water.

he woke up the next morning choking on his blood, and had to be rushed to the ER to be cauterized all over again.

every person i know in my town has bled from this surgery, and one person bled to death from it. i'm sure they didn't have the same doctor, especially since my brothers doctor is relatively new to the area.

again, i do NOT recommend this surgery unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary. as in, life-or-death. if you do have it, do NOT stay at home alone at ANY time within recovery time.

Closed Thread