It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2007, 06:26 AM   #1
(female)

Jennifer5718 HB User
Unhappy Friday the 13th Tonsillectomy

I am having a tonsillectomy on July 13th, about two weeks away and I am scared to death!!!! I want to cancel or postpone the surgery. I am not big into taking medications, especially the liquid Oxycontin that my ENT prescribed. I have never had surgery before and I am scared of the pain I will be in after. If someone could offer some advice, things I might need to make it easier. Most of all, I am scared of the swelling and choking feeling. I have a panic disorder and feel like I might freak out if I think I am choking. Why don't they just remove the uvula instead of dealing with the swelling? Thank you guys so much, I just need a little courage.

Jennifer

Old 06-21-2007, 12:48 PM   #2
(female)

Amanda121203 HB User
Re: Friday the 13th Tonsillectomy

I'm having my surgery on July 19th so about a week after you... we can go through it together. Well almost.. hehe you can help me out by telling me how your recovery is going...But I wouldn't worry too much, of course I'm saying that now and when it gets alittle closer to my turn I'll probably get more scared!! But just remember the older you get the harder the recovery is, so I would do it now! hehe
Amanda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
(female)

Jennifer5718 HB User
Wink Re: Friday the 13th Tonsillectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda121203 View Post
I'm having my surgery on July 19th so about a week after you... we can go through it together. Well almost.. hehe you can help me out by telling me how your recovery is going...But I wouldn't worry too much, of course I'm saying that now and when it gets alittle closer to my turn I'll probably get more scared!! But just remember the older you get the harder the recovery is, so I would do it now! hehe
Amanda
Amanda,
I will tell you how my recovery is going, hopefully it will help you with yours! I just called my ENT to see if I could go in sooner, the wait is killing me!

Old 06-25-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
(female)

Amanda121203 HB User

I know what you mean!! The wait is killing me too!! I keep counting down the days and im at like 25!! It seems like it's taking forever, but I guess as soon as we know it, it'll be our time!!
Amanda

Old 06-26-2007, 01:43 PM   #5
(female)

Jennifer5718 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda121203 View Post
I know what you mean!! The wait is killing me too!! I keep counting down the days and im at like 25!! It seems like it's taking forever, but I guess as soon as we know it, it'll be our time!!
Amanda
Looks like I have to wait. The ENT said he couldn't get me in sooner. How old are you?

Old 06-26-2007, 10:02 PM   #6
(female)

Amanda121203 HB User

Sorry to hear that you couldn't get in sooner....that sucks!!! hehe Anyway I am 23 and you??

Old 06-27-2007, 04:58 AM   #7
(female)

Jennifer5718 HB User

I turned 34 in May. Much older! I am sure you will be fine, you have age on your side!

Old 06-27-2007, 08:58 AM   #8
(female)

lady99 HB User

Hi Amanda and Jennifer.... I had my tonsillectomy & septoplasty last Friday. I was taking a statistics class this summer, and scheduled surgery the day after my final. I was afraid of having too much time to worry about surgery.

Funny thing... I was not nervous at all. This has been my first surgery, and I was very calm about it all.... I'm wondering if it's because I've wanted this surgery for a long time, and kept putting it off??? I'm 46, and should have had this done years ago.

Try to keep yourself busy, and the time will pass quickly. I'm on day 6 of recovery, and I'm so glad that I FINALLY had it done. Although... stats and surgery - not a fun summer so far - ha!

Old 06-27-2007, 12:51 PM   #9
(female)

Jennifer5718 HB User

Wow! You are doing well. Day six? That is suppose to be one of the worst days. I plan on drinking a lot of water to help with the pain. Because of my bouts with strep, I know how awful being dehydrated can make you feel! What have you been doing for the pain? I am not planing on taking the Oxycontin my Dr prescribed, it just seems a little too strong! I would be in rehab after I recovered

Old 06-27-2007, 01:35 PM   #10
(male)

avid4 HB User

Just for reference, I am twenty.

Today is day 8 of recovery for me...

I got real scared while getting all the surgery prepping done (my anesthesiology nurse was not a fun person). Suddenly though, I was awake, and the surgery had been completed.

I was supposed to leave around noon, but had to stay until three due to low oxygen level. The worst experience in the hospital though was after being IV fed water for 3 hours I really had to use the restroom, but because the nurse was checking up on me from time to time, and had left the buzzer thing out of reach, I had no way of getting their attention. Yelling after a tonsilectomy is a bad idea, but I did it anyway. It wasn't very loud, but I managed to get their attention, and they unhooked me from everything, so i could finally get relief.

I have hardly eaten anything in this last week though. I think day three was the first day I felt at all hungry, and I ate a yogurt cup. Day 4 and 5 I started getting my appetite back, and ate 2 things each day. I haven't really been hungry though, I don't notice it as much with the dizzyness from meds (percoset)

As far as liquids go they say you should drink enough as to where you have to urinate every 8 hours. Doing that was not hard for me. Maybe it was because the surgery was coupled with a septoplasty to fix my deviated septum, forcing me to breathe with my mouth. Because of the constant mouth breathing, my throat dries up fairly easily, so I drank as much as I possibly could.

I am not looking forward to this last week, as this is when the scab is supposed to come off. It hasn't really hurt or anything, I'd just rather not get tuck going back to the hospital because my scab gets scratched open. I am pretty sure it won't open up though.

One bad thing is the excess of mucus in your throat. I was told to sleep on a recliner so that the mucus would go down my throat instead of into my lungs, so that's what I've been doing. It has been causing me to need to cough a lot, and one nurse told me it was good to cough, but it is very irritating to the skin. So what I do is I open my mouth wide, and breathe out through my mouth. this usually clears my throat with little to no pain.

I am looking forward to next week though, and at least once a day now I wonder as to what I will eat the day I decide to eat normally. I am very much looking forward to that.

A very last note would be to not make plans though. I had been hoping I'd be up to doing stuff, but the meds have me pretty weak. The 2 hour trip to the doctor and store (for more supplies) yesterday wore me out pretty bad.

Last edited by avid4; 06-27-2007 at 01:36 PM.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:01 PM   #11
(female)

Jennifer5718 HB User

Sounds like you are pretty tough. I wish I was! I am just scared of the pain and swelling. What if your throat swells so much you can't breath?

Old 06-27-2007, 02:38 PM   #12
(female)

lady99 HB User

Jennifer... I'm taking Hydrocodone w/ Tylenol. For the first week, I'm taking it on time around the clock. I've read that it's important to keep the pain under control. After it reaches a certain threshold, it's hard to bring it back down. I'm not concerned about rehab - no, no, no. ha! I may start cutting the dosage next week... I'll wait and see.

Avid.... I was amazed at how surgery went, too. I was chatting with the OR nurse one moment and woke up in recovery the next. Sorry you had wait so long before being released.

I'm dealing with the same thing you are.... because of the septoplasty, I can't breathe through my nose just yet and my throat dries out when I fall asleep. That is SO painful. I dread taking the first few swallows - it's the worst part so far.

Jennifer and Amanda... you may not have a problem with that at all since you're not having work done to your nose.

Yes, I'm waiting to see what next week and scabbing brings.... You guys may have read my other posts that mention my son (I forget what I post where).... he had the same surgery as you and I, Avid. On day 10 of recovery he began to bleed uncontrollably. We ended up in the ER.

He later told me that he ate a piece of graham cracker that scratched his throat. Poor guy... big, starving teenager just wanted something solid to eat for a change. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. We don't want that to happen to us!! My doctor told me that it only happens in about 1% of patients.

Avid, I'll look for more of your posts since you're a couple of days ahead of me.... and girls... you'll be just fine. This message board is filled with great information.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:49 PM   #13
(female)

Jennifer5718 HB User

Lady99,
Thank you for your words of encouragement, I cannot even begin to tell you how much they mean to me. I really need to relax, I have been so stressed about this surgery. Your words help. Thank you.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:32 PM   #14
(female)

lady99 HB User

Jennifer.... glad to help. You can also use this time to gather things you will be needing after surgery. You may want to begin getting some food items and reading materials. Personally, I don't think I could focus on a book right now, but magazines have been helpful. Renting movies has been helpful, too. Using this time productively may help you from becoming nervous.

You may have read it already....... LisaMP's Guide to Adult Tonsillectomy contains some great information. I gave a copy of it to my husband to help him realize what I might be experiencing.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:42 AM   #15
(female)

Jennifer5718 HB User

Yes, I gave a copy of that to my partner. Her guide was full of good information. I think I have everything but food. Again, I really appreciate your help.

Closed Thread