It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2007, 05:32 AM   #1
(male)

PhilosophicalL HB User
Trouble Swallowing

Hello there,
Let me start out by saying I'm a 15 year old male. I cannot swallow any pills not in an oblong or oval shape, and even then I have to take them with applesauce, and sometimes still have trouble. I do not normally have trouble swallowing foods, but on occasion some things will get stuck. I was wondering if I have a certain disorder. I have only had trouble swallowing pills for the past year or two.

Also, recently I have swallowed a piece of hamburger which feels like it has become stuck in my esophagus. It does not hurt now, but it did just a tiny bit when I swallowed it. I have tried drinking warm water, gargling it, trying to push it down with other foods, etc. But to no avail. Is there anyone that can give me some ideas to dislodge this piece of food?

Thanks for any and all replies.

Last edited by PhilosophicalL; 06-25-2007 at 05:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
(male)

PhilosophicalL HB User
Re: Trouble Swallowing

Also I would like to add that I hear a slight gurgling in the throat when I swallow, and I'm worried that I might have eusophical cancer. I didn't have the gurgling until the piece of food got caught in my throat recently though. Am I going to have to go to the doctor to get it removed or get tests?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2007, 08:56 PM   #3
(female)

froggyfog HB User
Re: Trouble Swallowing

I also have trouble swallowing pills. I can eat solid food and it will go down but drinks do nothing.

I have went to a ENT doctor who said I have GERD(Reflux) and put me on Prevacid twice a day. It helped some but not completely, so I made a appt to see a GI doctor....she seemed puzzled by the facts above. She has scheduled a upper and lower(because of some IBS symptoms)scope.

I am NOT looking forward to either of theses but know I need to find out what is going on....if it is cancer it is better to find out early so it can be treated.

My suggestion would be for you to make an appt with your primary doctor and if he/she doesn't know then ask for referrals to a ENT and GI Doctor.
Sorry I can't give you the answer but you definetly need more tests.

Froggyfog

Closed Thread