It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2007, 07:38 PM   #1
(female)

tonsils_out HB User
Question Got the Tonsils Out!

Hi Everyone,

I just got my tonsils taken out today and was wondering if anyone had any cuts in their mouth or outside around their lip from the breathing tube. My tongue was enlarged after surgery and when I would try to drink water it would come out my nose! The jello too! Yuk, more weird than pain but still. I would have liked someone to tell me of the complication in surgery instead of looking in the mirror and seeing the cuts and teeth marks in my mouth. Obviously, something happened. It would have been nice to have been offered neosporin for my upper lip. (this was done at the best hospital in LA & I have great insurance, as not to be too specific) To resolve the swelling I was given a Steriod with some additional meds prior to leaving through my IV. For home I'm on LIQUID Tylenol with Codeine. I'm not taking the full dose as I sip just a little every hour or so with Water, Ice Punch-Gatorade (has no distint flavor) and Jello. I have also been enjoying Motts Apple Sauce. Let it slide down my throat, does the trick. My Dr. initially tried to give me the pills and I SAID "NO, NO NO". Thanks to all these wonderful message boards I had the 411 on the skinny. I think they try to give you the pills as to discourage over medication.

P.S.
The nurse gave me this cold compress that was filled with ice. It was a soft material and went around my neck. It is reusable and did not leak.
Any interesting food suggestions are welcomed!

Last edited by tonsils_out; 06-26-2007 at 08:25 PM. Reason: add info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
(female)

lady99 HB User
Re: Got the Tonsils Out!

Hi Tonsils... Glad to hear that your surgery went well. I didn't notice any cuts or marks like you described. But, I can't say that I looked for any, either. I've had a difficult time opening my mouth very wide, and I think my tongue may be a little swollen, too. My uvula is swollen, but that seems to be normal.

I know what it looks like, though. My 17 yr. old had his tonsils out last year, and he and I were always checking out his throat. In fact, we thought that his scabs would peel off, but they just disolved a little each day. Seems like it can happen either way.

Just be careful and follow directions -- my son's throat bled horribly on day 10. We ended up in the ER. Stay on soft foods even if you think you're ready for something solid!!

I'm so glad that surgery is over... and we're on the road to recovery!! I've wanted to have this done for a LONG time.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Tongue and uvula swelling are natural.. they have to pull them to the side and out of the way.. Your jaw muscles will HURT too. Look into chewing gum about day four and five it will be wonderful.. you will need to chew through the pain.

In addition to other things not many ENT use it on adults but it is standard fare for children. Oticaine Ear drops. These were liquid gold during the ear pain, swelling stage. Your steriods in the IV should lesson these effects tremendously. My food staples.. apple sauce.. mac n cheese with really softly boiled brocolli and shaved ham all blended into a fine throat sliding mush. Protien meal replacement shakes and smoothies.. and ICE WATER lots of ice water. 100+ ounces a day.

Good luck and keep an eye out for thrush.. it is horrible.
Sincerely,
MG

Old 06-27-2007, 07:42 AM   #4
(female)

mogirl87 HB User

my brother had the "nose" problem too...anything he drank would come out his nose. we didn't believe him at first, just thought he was feeling things in the back of his throat he couldnt feel before til he took a drink of his water and..out it came. pretty inconvienent when drinking out of water fountains at school. ;-)

i wish you luck with your recovery! hopefully, it won't be too long before you get used to drinking without your tonsils!

Old 06-27-2007, 08:05 AM   #5
(female)

tonsils_out HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgbrook View Post
Tongue and uvula swelling are natural.. they have to pull them to the side and out of the way.. Your jaw muscles will HURT too. Look into chewing gum about day four and five it will be wonderful.. you will need to chew through the pain.

In addition to other things not many ENT use it on adults but it is standard fare for children. Oticaine Ear drops. These were liquid gold during the ear pain, swelling stage. Your steriods in the IV should lesson these effects tremendously. My food staples.. apple sauce.. mac n cheese with really softly boiled brocolli and shaved ham all blended into a fine throat sliding mush. Protien meal replacement shakes and smoothies.. and ICE WATER lots of ice water. 100+ ounces a day.

Good luck and keep an eye out for thrush.. it is horrible.
Sincerely,
MG

Thank you so much for the MAC & CHEESE WITH THE HAM! That sounds WONDERFUL. Maybe today. I don't know if you have ever heard of CULTERELLE it runs about $20.- over the counter at CVS or RITAIDE. It replaces the natural lining of the track and stomach lining, preventing the nausea and production of yeast. Prior to surgery I was on 8k a day of penicillin and I was very much concerned about the thrush! It has about 10 billion live cell in each capsule. Tonight is my last dose of Azithromycin 500mg, which is considerable strong on an empty stomach. We shall see how I do. I am concerned. But I am going to have the MAC & CHEESE and we shall see! I feel great today, as my throat is sore but I am weathering well. I am greatly appreciative for this site as I have been reading everyones advice, so helpful.

Best to you.
D

Last edited by tonsils_out; 06-27-2007 at 08:07 AM.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:12 AM   #6
(female)

tonsils_out HB User

WOW! The nurses had never seen that before in recovery. May I ask how old was your brother and how long did it happen for. Obviously he was back in school so he was recovered. I think it might be a result of how deep they had to go in my throat. My tonsils were pretty bad. I think everyone varies but my pain is isolated and I am comfortable. I didn't get a lot of sleep last night, maybe 3 hours. Tonight I'm sure will be better. I feel rested though.

Thank you for your reply.

Best.
D

Last edited by moderator2; 06-27-2007 at 01:40 PM. Reason: do not post pictures for any reason - as per the posting policy

Old 06-27-2007, 08:20 AM   #7
(female)

tonsils_out HB User
Smile Re: Got the Tonsils Out!

Thank you so much for the FYI on day 10! Since your posting I have been online and have noticed other people with the same thing on DAY 10! Amazing. Everyone mentions the ER but no one says what they do there or if infact it was worth going. All anyone mentions is that they save the blood in a cup to show was was shedded and how much. It seems like to happens over an hour.

Once again, many thanks as I would have never known what to expect. Although, there are those that have a very silent passage of the scabs in the night. Mine are very deep so I think I will have the "Main Event".

Thank you for your reply.

Best to you,
D

Last edited by moderator2; 06-27-2007 at 01:39 PM. Reason: do not post pictures for any reason - as per the posting policy

Old 06-27-2007, 08:24 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Forgot the nose thing.. My son at 3.5 had it for about 2 months.. thought it was hillarious to spew water out of his nose.

I had it for 4-6 weeks at 31. The issue is that the uvula has to retrain and strengthen.. with the tonsils out it doesn't close when swallowing.. thus if you are bending over.. drinking out of a water fountian.. out the nose it will come.. same thing with bending over your plate or glass.

To stop or minimize occurances. Sit up right or with a slight backward tilt. Take small continuous sips and swallow deliberately. Get some saline spray to help rinse and flush out the sinuses.. don't want stuff trapped in there to fester. Also Ponaris OTC nasal oil is great for the sinuses and keeping them disinfected and moist.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 06-27-2007, 08:30 AM   #9
(female)

tonsils_out HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgbrook View Post
Forgot the nose thing.. My son at 3.5 had it for about 2 months.. thought it was hillarious to spew water out of his nose.

I had it for 4-6 weeks at 31. The issue is that the uvula has to retrain and strengthen.. with the tonsils out it doesn't close when swallowing.. thus if you are bending over.. drinking out of a water fountian.. out the nose it will come.. same thing with bending over your plate or glass.

To stop or minimize occurances. Sit up right or with a slight backward tilt. Take small continuous sips and swallow deliberately. Get some saline spray to help rinse and flush out the sinuses.. don't want stuff trapped in there to fester. Also Ponaris OTC nasal oil is great for the sinuses and keeping them disinfected and moist.

Sincerely,
MG
Oh yes, I will ask my Dr. about the nasal spray. I did flush with the OCEAN over the counter which is just salt which worked wonderfully. I didn't think all that orange jello was a good idea. Giggle.

I'm 38, and feel very lucky my surgery went as well as it did aside from a few minor discomforts. My tongue has reduced swelling considerably. I have taste, which to me is delightful. I'm scared about having solids as I wouldn't want anything to be stuck in my throat. How deep were yours?

Best,
D

Old 06-28-2007, 12:39 AM   #10
(female)

mogirl87 HB User

my brother was 19. he couldnt really swallow that well for about a week or two, but once he figured out how, it's been ok.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:31 PM   #11
(female)

BustersMommie HB User

I don't think you have to worry about anything getting stuck in your throat--you've actually got a lot more room than you had before! I never dealt with bleeding, and honestly didn't think I ever would because they said I didn't bleed much in surgery, so I assumed that since I didn't bleed much when they cut me open, I probably wouldn't do it days afterwards either.

My big problem was when the scabs started coming off...I could feel them sliding down, and my gag reflexes just couldn't take it...I think I threw most of my scabs up, where most folks just go ahead and swallow them. Yuck! That wasn't going to happen for me!!

Oh, and for food, Campbell's soup was pretty good, especially vegetable beef, since it has a lot of flavor. I basically lived on cut up popsicles and coke (no diet, I got regular coke b/c it has sugar and I knew my body was severly lacking sugar!). Also, Sonic sells their ice in bags...it helped a lot too. Just keep that compress from the hospital and use it in the next few nights, that's when it'll hurt the worst, once you start drying out your throat when it's descabbing.

Hope you're feeling well today!!

Old 06-28-2007, 02:32 PM   #12
(female)

BustersMommie HB User

Oh and I forgot, I learned how soothing sweet iced tea is for the throat about a week after surgery. You should try some of that too!

Old 06-28-2007, 02:55 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

My tonsils were deep. They rivaled some of the 12 year olds getting them removed that week. 4.5 on a scale of 5 full of all sorts of nastiness.. I am glad mine are gone as well.

My son barely missed them and had to be kept calm..

Sincerely,
MG

Closed Thread