It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2007, 10:18 PM   #1
(female)

MaryxContrary HB User
Unhappy Tonsillectomy for Post Nasal Drip?

I don't know if anyone will have any answers for me here but I hope someone does! I've had really bad allergies my whole life and recently started seeing an ENT for treatment. In april I had sinus surgery because he said if would help with my chronic sinus infections. I still have horrible post nasal drip though. I have been to Gastro specials and had the whole gastro-endoscopy deal done. They said the post nasal drip was not reflux related. My ENT wants me to have a tonsillectomy now. I had a serious case of tonsillitus after my sinus surgery and he has only been seeing me since March. He says it will help with my post nasal drip (he also said the sinus surgery would). Before he could answer any questions about how a tonsillectomy would help with PND he was scheduling the surgery on this monday! I had not even said yes or no to it! I need some help. I've been googling all night for anything about PND and tonsillectomies all night and can't find a single thing. I had my ENT hold of on the scheduling (he wasn't too happy). I think my doctor is just scalpel happy!

Old 06-28-2007, 10:28 PM   #2
(female)

MaryxContrary HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy for Post Nasal Drip?

sorry about all my typos!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2007, 11:09 PM   #3
(female)

were2alike HB User

Hi Marryx! well to me the ear nose and throat are all combined together and if you already had the sinuse surgery and still not better than I think the tonsilectomy is the next step.I have sickle cell trait and allways had ear and throat infections but was not able to have surgery because of my low iron and sores never heeled but in 2003 at 35 y/o I had my first tonsilectomy because I started getting sick again. and it wasn't too bad I was out from work for 10 days only.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

I would get a second opinion before you get the tonsillectomy. I only say that because I had PND before my tonsillectomy last year, and it really only got worse after I had the tonsils removed. Either it got worse or I'm just more aware of it, but I quite literally feel the PND every single day from the time I wake up in the morning until the time I go to bed. It's always there constantly, even though I had my tonsils out. So I don't think it's necessarily a solution to PND.

I would go find another ENT and see what they say because I personally don't think it's a solution for PND. The surgery definitely helped with a few of the other problems I was having, so I'm not sorry that I had it done, I'm really glad I did it. But I'm just frustrated as hell and angry that this PND problem is way more noticeable now that my tonsils are gone. And I can't find a solution that works for me.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:12 PM   #5
(female)

MaryxContrary HB User

Thanks for your replies. I'm extremly aware of my pnd. I snort all the time (i know that sounds gross and its useless anyways but it seems impossible to breathe sometimes) My doctor isn't giving many answers so I think it's time to find a second opinion. Nows the time when I wish I lived in a town with more than one grocery store.

Closed Thread