It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #1
(female)

luckybug HB User
Question Tonsillectomay and Septoplasty at the same time

I am a 23 year old female, and had a tonsillectomy, and septoplasty done 4 days ago. All the other posts that I have read through tell how the pain from the septoplasty was not bad at all, but the tonsillectomy was very bad. I have experienced the opposite, and am wondering if anyone else has too.

This is the first surgery that I have ever had, so I did not know how I would come out of it. I had surgery on a Thursday morning. It ended up being a 3 hour surgery. When I came out of the anesthesia, I had been wrapped in 2 heated blankets. The claustrophobia set in, and I started tearing away the blankets, as well as the oxygen mask, and blood pressure cuff. I was heading for the IV when the nurse came and stopped me, and was able to calm me down. My ENT decided to keep me in the hospital for a 24 hr obsevation. I was extremely thirsty, and dry-mouthed. I never did feel naseas though.

Maybe because I have been dealing with inflammed tonsils for about 8 months now, my throat did not bother me at all. But my nose hurt extremely bad from the septoplasty. I ended up having to have a morphine shot to deal with the pain. I slept in about 2 hours at a time while I was in the hospital. One of the huge discomforts was that I could not breath through my nose because of the splits, so I had to breath through my mough, and so I had a very dryed out throat. I did drink lots of water, and ate lots of crushed ice and this helped.

I was released from the hospital Friday morning and was prescribed lortab, and an antibiotic. I was hoping that I would be able to deal with the pain, and not have to take the lortab, and I think that if I had only had the tonsillectomy, that I would not have needed it. But because of how much pain I was in from the septoplasty, I ended up taking 3 or 4 lortabs thoughtout the day on Friday. But they did not seem to do much for the pain.

I went to bed Friday night about 11pm feeling pretty good. I woke up about an hour later, and was dripping sweat, and was dizzy as ever. I went to the bathroom, and then went to get a washcloth out of the closet to get wet, and put on my forehead, and the next thing I remember is waking up on the floor, with my nose bleeding pretty bad. I managed to get myself up carefully, but my nose hurt worst that any pain that I think I have ever had. I went and checked out the damaged I had done, and because of how the bandages had been adjusted and moved, it was pretty clear that I had pretty much nose-dived into the floor.

I braced myself against the walls, and was able to get the washclothes wet, and was going back down the hallway, when I went out again. I don't know how long I was out, but I had managed to make enough noise to wake my husband who was sleeping in our room upstairs (I had to sleep in the recliner downstairs on the other side of the house).

He immediatly took me to the ER, where I waited for 2 hours before I got any attention. The on-call Dr called my ENT, and then shined his light up my nose, and told me that I had not done any damage. It was still bleeding at this time, so I asked him how to stop the bleeding. He told me to put pressure on it. I am still not sure how I was supposed to do this, but adventually the bleeding stopped.

I told him that the lortab was not working very good, and so he gave me a shot of morphine, and a new perscription for percocet, and sent me on my way. I didn't feel very satisfied after going to the ER, and other than a new prescription, I felt it did not need to go. When we got home from the ER, I slept the for a solid 9 hours. I am pretty sure that it had something to do with the morphine shot. I felt pretty rejuvenated, but I did have a wicked time trying to re-moisturize my throat after that.

I have not had any problems with dizziness, or blackouts again since Friday night. It is know Monday, and the pain is still in my nose, and not my throat. I think that the blackouts were caused either from the lortab, or the extreme pain that I was in, or a combination of both.

I thought that maybe I would be able to get answers for my own questions from reading other peoples forums, but I have actually become more confused since everything I have read has been opposite of what I have experienced.

Has anyone had this kind of pain from a septoplasy? Did you ever blackout after one? Why does my recovery seem so different from everyone elses?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread