It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2007, 12:42 PM   #1
(male)

HarryP4688 HB User
Unhappy Tonsillectomy Today- Just a question.

I had my tonsils out this morning, and I just got home. I've read other posts about what to expect, and right now I'm doing alright in the sense that the pain isn't overwhelming. But I looked in the back and my uvula is REALLY swollen. Is that normal? When I talk, I sound funny. And there's already white stuff where my tonsils used to be, I was expecting that in a few days. Any other tips and advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:44 PM   #2
(female)

luckybug HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy Today- Just a question.

sounds pretty much like my experience. I am on day 6, and the scabs, which are the white things, pretty much all cam off today. It was horrible. But I think that is sounds pretty normal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2007, 02:51 PM   #3
(female)

sweetiee98 HB User

Harry,

I too had my tonsils removed yesterday morning. Everything is swollen and I dont talk much at all.
Im taking my pain meds around the clock, so when it gets close to time for another dose, I begin to have a soar throat.......but other than that Im just awaiting the "bad days" lol
Good luck as we go through this together!

Old 07-06-2007, 09:31 PM   #4
(female)

nikkers76 HB User

Harry, I had my tonsils out Thursday the 5th. My uvula was HUGE. It was forming an L shape on my tongue and the doctor gave me a steroid injection at 8pm on the night of my surgery and 8am on the morning I was discharged. It's now back to it's normal size and I don't feel like I'm choking anymore. Here's a fact sheet the hospital gave me when I was discharged:

TONSILLECTOMY

General
1. A white membrane will form where the tonsils were located. This will disappear in 5-10 days.
2. Avoid strenuous activity for 10 days. Return to school/work after 10-14 days.

Pain Relief
1. It is not unusual for the throat to become more painful on the 4th or 5th day after the operation. The ears may also ache because of referred pain from the tonsil bed.
2. Pain medication should be taken regularly, usually every 4 hours, for at least the first 2-3 days in order to obtain appropriate pain control and establish good eating patterns, which helps to speed up recovery and probably reduce the risk of secondary infection.
3. Avoid aspirin as this can increase the risk of bleeding.
4. Take pain medication 45 to 60 minutes before meals.

Diet
1. It is important to use the throat. The longer the delay before beginning to eat and drink the more discomfort there will be. Maintaining an adequate fluid intake is essential. Chewing is encouraged and chewing gum may be helpful.
2. Avoid hot food and drinks for two weeks. Avoid citrus fruits.
3. Soft foods may be preferred initially e.g. custard, jelly, ice cream, poached eggs, cooked vegetables, soft bread. It is important to attempt to eat solids. Ensure that your fluid intake is adequate.
4. Acceptable drinks include milk, milkshakes, ginger ale, lemonade and fruit juices (NOT ORANGE, TOMATO OR ACIDIC JUICES)

Bleeding
1. Occasionally you'll cough up a trace of blood for a few days after the operation. This should be treated with rest for 24 hours. Any more bleeding than this should be reported to your doctor immediately. If you are unable to contact the doctor then you should to to the Accident and Emergency Department of your local hopsital.

I hope all this helps Harry. I don't know if you were provided with after-care information but what you've described is completely normal. I have the white membrane over where my tonsils used to be. It looks disgusting but it's completely normal.

Funnily enough, I'm struggling with fluids but don't have a problem eating. Even though eating is very uncomfortable, drinking seems to be worse. I'm also using an antispectic spray for my throat because I couldn't gargle without swallowing the solution or it going up my throat and out of my nose. I also cannot eat anything dairy because I have so much phlegm and I currently have a slight fever too.

Feels like such a downhill struggle, but it's probably the best thing we'll ever do for our health getting these babies out. I just can't wait until the worst is over!

Last edited by nikkers76; 07-06-2007 at 09:34 PM.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:50 AM   #5
(male)

HarryP4688 HB User

Thank you for the replies, they did help.

While I was in recovery I had the nurse look in my mouth because I told her it felt like I was choking, and she said it would go back to normal soon. It's still pretty big- and there is white stuff on it as well. I have been able to deal with the pain quite well, I'm just worried that the swelling isn't going to go down.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:34 PM   #6
(female)

nikkers76 HB User

Hey Harry, if the size of your uvula's bothering you, you could always ask your doctor for a steroid pill or injection to reduce the swelling (injections work quicker). Mine was massive and I was practically choking on it. It was about 3-4cm long after my op. They say it's perfectly normal to have a swollen uvula for some time after the op but if it's too uncomfortable, do see your doctor about it. I had 2 steriod injections and they worked wonders, not to mention my anxiety about not being able to breathe properly disappeared.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:40 PM   #7
(female)

Hayley219 HB User

Hey Harry - I had mine out about 2 months ago....and you sound pretty much like me. I was extremely worried about the whole uvula thing because I had lost the ability to speak and couldn't eat cause the food would hit it....but the swelling did go down. It took me until day 10, and then it was still a bit larger than usualy, but eventually it was fine.

Trust me...I'm studying to be an speech pathologist and I know my mouth anatomy and I knew something was up. My doctor kept telling me it was normal (though I secretly worried about it everyday).
Good Luck with the rest of your recovery!

Old 07-09-2007, 07:21 AM   #8
(female)

Jennifer5718 HB User
Red face Re: Tonsillectomy Today- Just a question.

Hello everyone. This message board has been a God send to me. At first, the posts scared me; people bleeding, having emergency surgery, things like that. But I see for the most part if you do what you are supposed to you have a manageable recovery.
I am having my surgery this Friday on the 13th and I am scared. I am scared about the swelling and feeling like I am going to choke! Another thing I am scared about is the pain meds. My Dr gave me liquid Oxycontin and I know that stuff is strong! I just don't want to feel high !!!
One more question; Does anyone here smoke? I know I won't be able to quit, so how soon can you smoke?

thanks everyone,
Jennifer
34/F

Old 07-09-2007, 06:17 PM   #9
(female)

nikkers76 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer5718 View Post
But I see for the most part if you do what you are supposed to you have a manageable recovery.
Spot on. It can feel like such a chore, but chores are a hell of a lot less painful than not managing your pain properly.

Quote:
I am having my surgery this Friday on the 13th and I am scared. I am scared about the swelling and feeling like I am going to choke!
When I woke up in recovery I felt like I had cotton wool in my throat. When I got back to my room and tried to rest, I felt like I was choking. My uvula was massive but a couple of steroid injections did the trick. Don't be afraid to ask for steroids if your uvula is swollen. But of course, it may not swell much at all. Another tip, if it's swollen, is to sit up straight as everyone advises, and lean your head slightly forward. Before my injections kicked in, this stopped the uvula sticking to the back of my throat and I could breathe freely and doze off. Don't be scared though - you won't actually choke, it will simply feel as though you could :-) You might also find yourself snoring a bit from the swelling.

Quote:
Another thing I am scared about is the pain meds. My Dr gave me liquid Oxycontin and I know that stuff is strong! I just don't want to feel high !!!
I feel a bit high and dizzy but I love it because it takes the focus off the pain. Usually I don't like the sensation of feeling "off my face'' on medication but now, it's a welcome distraction. I'm currently on Tramadol with Paracetamol. Whilst it doesn't totally kill the pain, it takes the edge off the anxiety that I sometimes feel. You'll be grateful for the strong stuff, trust me. I only wish I had something stronger for night time but I've now hired a humidifier from the local chemist, which should help a lot in the night.

Quote:
One more question; Does anyone here smoke? I know I won't be able to quit, so how soon can you smoke?
My advice to all smokers in the world who are struggling to quit is this: GET A TONSILLECTOMY!

I've been a pack a day smoker for 14 years and struggled to quit MANY TIMES (I'm 31 by the way). At the moment, I have absolutely NO desire to smoke whatsoever and usually, I'm heavily addicted. I also bought nicotine patches before my op and started wearing them straight after the op. I'm on Day 5 now and grateful that I'm not smoking because (a) the risk of infection is greatly reduced; and (b) my recovery time will be much quicker. I actually dread to think what a cigarette would do to my throat right now and to the healing process.

Oh, and another thing - I thought this would be the longest week of my life but it's actually going quite fast. I'm in quite a bit of pain and cannot talk at all today but keeping myself constantly occupied helps a lot. I'm also a firm believer that keeping somewhat positive encourages the healing process.

Good luck!

Last edited by nikkers76; 07-09-2007 at 10:15 PM.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:12 AM   #10
(female)

Amanda121203 HB User

Does it hurt getting steriod injections?? If so can I ask the doctor to give me one before I even wake up from surgery??
Amanda

Old 07-10-2007, 01:19 AM   #11
(female)

nikkers76 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda121203 View Post
Does it hurt getting steriod injections?? If so can I ask the doctor to give me one before I even wake up from surgery??
Amanda
The injection is administered via the cannula in your arm (intra-venous), so it's totally pain free

Last edited by nikkers76; 07-10-2007 at 01:19 AM.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:08 AM   #12
(female)

Amanda121203 HB User

Oh well that totally makes sense!!! haha I was thinking that they would literally give you a shot in your uvula!! Blonde moment sorry!!!
Amanda

Closed Thread