It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2007, 06:48 AM   #1
(female)

tonsils_out HB User
Day 10 Post Tonsillectomy

I feel like a new person. There is light at the end of the tunnel. I just sloughed my last two bottom scabs last night. The tension in my jaw has been released. I feel good. Not completely without pain, but good. Just putting it out there if anyone has questions regards to recovery. I had many issues that I resolved and would love to share

I contribute my nonbleeding post tonsillectomy experience a result of eating and staying on the fluids with cold compresses to my neck area.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:43 AM   #2
(female)

sweetiee98 HB User
Exclamation Re: Day 10 Post Tonsillectomy

Im glad you are feeling better.....you give people like me something to look forward to!
I had my surgery on Tuesday morning, and now it is Friday morning....so I guess I'm on Day 4? I have ear pain, and of course throat. I started this morning only taking half of my pain meds to see if that makes me feel a little normal........
The biggest problem Im having and can't seem to find any solution to is, especially when I'm trying to sleep, I develop this cough that has phlegm. Ive been sleeping in the upright position (in recliner) so I dont know how Im getting it......and I keep feeling the need to cough that stuff up but I know I'm not supposed to!!! Can anyone help me out here?? I would greatly appreciate it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2007, 10:18 AM   #3
(female)

tonsils_out HB User
Re: Day 10 Post Tonsillectomy

Yes, with the plegm. What worked for me was that I would gently rinse my mouth with sea salt and luke warm water. Usually after I would eat and before bed. That will clear out your throat. I believe the mucos builds up in your throat and in your sinus. Chewing gum was a huge help to me. It helped with the tightness. Don't do sugar as it could encourage infection. I tried Chlorets but would spit out most of the initial as it was just too much. Are you using an ice pack? Regarding not using your pain meds, don't be a hero. Your body needs to be comfortable as thats how it heals. Are you eating? This worked for me hope it helped.

Best to you.

D

Last edited by tonsils_out; 07-06-2007 at 10:22 AM.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:40 PM   #4
(female)

sweetiee98 HB User

Thank you so much for your advice.......as soon as my mom got off work today, she brought some sea salt, and sugarfree chewing gum. I haven't ate since she's been here but I will be eating soon and I will use that to rinse out my mouth!
I have not used an ice pack......no doctor or nurse told me about that.
I have been eating , not much but some here and there.....mashed potatoes, chicken broth, and pudding are my staples along with ice pops.
Im still taking meds, I just cut back on them because of the way they made me feel. Im in no way trying to be a hero here ha ha Im a big chicken!
Thanks again for your advice

Old 07-06-2007, 03:27 PM   #5
(female)

tonsils_out HB User

I wasn't into the chicken broth as it had too much salt in it. What I lived off of was apple sauce as it was almost "cleaning". Ensure, not chocolate. Ice Cream creates more phlegm but the popsicles and sorbet are good. I worked into solid food that would go down easy as soon as possible. Through my recovery there were good days and VERY BAD days so when you think you can eat, do it. Eggs are good too as they are runny. Try just the egg whites as the yok might linger too much in your mouth. Towards the end I really liked the apple sauce and the nonfat cottage cheese which is a great source of protein.

Regarding the neck pack I used that 27/7 and the nurse in the ER gave me 3 extra reusable ice packs that I would switch out on. I would put it under my ear and as this would alleviate the swelling which will help you speak, swallow and get water down. I wouldn't keep it on continuously as I would switch sides and give the other side a break. You want to be careful not to get frost bite. I would randomly just fall asleep and I didn't want to have the on while I was sleeping. I got more out of that than the Tylenol with Codiene. But do take your medicine! Have you had a Fever yet? I had a fever in and out of 3 days. Day 2 was the worst.

Regarding the cough, I think that is because you probably have a build up of the phlegm which will be resolved with the salt water, gum and tons of water. You are probably getting ready to slough off some of your scabs. Very curious if this helps, please let me know.

Last edited by tonsils_out; 07-06-2007 at 03:36 PM.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:56 PM   #6
(female)

justnikki HB User

I am day 10 post-op today...my throat feels much better, it's not raw or sore feeling anymore. I, however, feel worse, I think, than I did before!

Instead of my throat feeling raw, it feels bruised. I cant talk, I mean, I can use my voice and I sound normal but doing so feels like it's really straining those muscles and tendons and my vocal cords. Yawning hurts. Swallowing hurts...on my right side I have a couple of sores in the "hole" where my tonsil used to be, so when I swallow that gets a sharp sharp pain and I can feel it in my ear...and I've had just a little bleeding today and last night.

My tonsils were huge so I have these giant caves on both sides of my throat now, where it hurts and feels like its pulling is around the edges of those big holes..., esp. on the inside right by my actual throat.

Has anyone else had the problems speaking this long after their operation? I'm kind of worried that I wont be able to talk normally again!

Old 07-06-2007, 08:04 PM   #7
(female)

tonsils_out HB User

I just went to see my ENT today for a follow up visit. The sore throat with the ear pain and straining is normal I am told by my doctor. My tongue is still numb. Not as bad as it was but your tongue went through a lot during surgery. I had sutures at the base of the tonsils near the tongue on each side. You might have as well. It is a little tight there making speech forced. My doctor said it would be a matter of time. I don't want to sound like Larry Flynt, giggle. Anyway I new going into this that it there was going to be some extended recovery. I was really sick and like you I had have some large holes in the back of my throat. The tongue has more room back there and so things need to readjust. All and all I really needed to have this done. Are all your scabs gone?

Last edited by tonsils_out; 07-06-2007 at 09:00 PM.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:38 AM   #8
(female)

sweetiee98 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonsils_out View Post
I wasn't into the chicken broth as it had too much salt in it. What I lived off of was apple sauce as it was almost "cleaning". Ensure, not chocolate. Ice Cream creates more phlegm but the popsicles and sorbet are good. I worked into solid food that would go down easy as soon as possible. Through my recovery there were good days and VERY BAD days so when you think you can eat, do it. Eggs are good too as they are runny. Try just the egg whites as the yok might linger too much in your mouth. Towards the end I really liked the apple sauce and the nonfat cottage cheese which is a great source of protein.

Regarding the neck pack I used that 27/7 and the nurse in the ER gave me 3 extra reusable ice packs that I would switch out on. I would put it under my ear and as this would alleviate the swelling which will help you speak, swallow and get water down. I wouldn't keep it on continuously as I would switch sides and give the other side a break. You want to be careful not to get frost bite. I would randomly just fall asleep and I didn't want to have the on while I was sleeping. I got more out of that than the Tylenol with Codiene. But do take your medicine! Have you had a Fever yet? I had a fever in and out of 3 days. Day 2 was the worst.

Regarding the cough, I think that is because you probably have a build up of the phlegm which will be resolved with the salt water, gum and tons of water. You are probably getting ready to slough off some of your scabs. Very curious if this helps, please let me know.

Thank you so much for the advice! The sea salt must have done the trick......I had no cough when I woke up this morning! Yea! I did chew a piece of gum last night, but it was rough......very soar.
I've been eating mashed potatoes and pudding and popsicles. I tried applesauce the first day, and the grainy stuff seem to stick in my throat so maybe I should try again.
Im having extreme ear pain as well as throat but Im still only taking half the dosage Im allowed. I just dont like the way the medicine made me feel. even taking half the dosage numbs my throat enough to where I can eat a little and drink quite a bit. And if I am asleep , Im usually not bothered by the pain.
I hope you are doing well still!

Old 07-07-2007, 10:52 AM   #9
(female)

tonsils_out HB User

Regarding the medication, it allows you to slam your body with FLUIDS. The reason why your so tight and so is also dehydration. The mucos building up in your throat also because you are not using your throat enough. It is a ficious cycle so I come to find. The apple sauce I would also be drinking water. The water I was drinking was SMART WATER which has electrolytes in it which helped. More Water. I would get up in the middle of the night and drink more water. Did you try the ice on your neck?

Old 07-09-2007, 07:28 AM   #10
(female)

Jennifer5718 HB User

I can use all the help I can get! I am having surgery this Friday the 13th and am scared as hell. I am worried that the pain meds (Oxycontin) will make me feel doped up and that my throat will swell and I will choke! Also, I smoke and don't know how long I will have to wait until I can smoke again.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:11 AM   #11
(female)

tonsils_out HB User

Hi Jennifer,

On the smoking, you probably need to talk with your doctor and see if you can get the patch? There is NO WAY you will be able to be smoking. I think food and water and when your next pain medication is mostly going to be on your mind. Best bet is to talk to your doctor. You wouldn't want to have a bad reaction with the patch with your medication.

Regarding your medication, I was on Tylenol with Codeine and I modified my intake so I wasn't doped up and I could be aware of what I was feeling. Being aware also keeps you awake to make sure you get fluids in. I hear you on not feeling doped up. I too was worried about choking or not being aware of my body changes. I don't know if you have read through other postings but make sure you do as they can be resourceful. Ice packs under the ears on the throat helps reduce the swelling and eases the pain in the ears. Ear pain is not a result of an infection as it is the pain in the back of your throat.

Best to you.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:41 PM   #12
(female)

kikibrown01 HB User

I am post op 14 days today. Yes, I am experiencing all of the same things you are..STILL.. It hurts to swallow because it feels like there is something stinging in one of the caves that used to be my tonsil. I went to the ER on Saturday night as I was hemorraging and vomitted about 1.5 liters of blood, but they did nothing for me and the bleeding quit on its own. Anyway, I went to follow up with my ENT today and he was pretty dismissive of the whole thing, telling me that I should be better in a couple of days and if I don't have any more bleeding episodes then I don't need to come and see him again. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know I am still having the same pain especially when I go in the sun and sneeze, or yawn. It is like the never ending recovery.. Hopefully, I am home free.. It would be nice to be able to eat something again..

Closed Thread