It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007, 04:43 AM   #1
(female)

nikkers76 HB User
Unhappy Tonsillectomy - Day 1: bad reaction to anaesthetic and drugs?? Crying lots

I had my tonsils out yesterday afternoon and thought I was going too well for my liking. This afternoon, I burst into tears and couldn't stop crying. My head space feels incredibly weird. I think maybe all the drugs I've had (anaesthetic, IV painkiller, anti-nausea, 2 lots of steroids for my uvula, soluble pain killers, mersyndol) have been too much for me. I'm yet to sleep properly too. I feel incredibly irrational, teary and confused, and I'm really struggling with my own mind right now.

Also, I've been having a lot of trouble swallowing water this afternoon. I can eat anything strangely enough, but fluids are difficult to get down. My numbing mouthwash went up the back of my throat and came out my nose and that hurt like hell. I know that fluids are the key to a quick recovery but they're painful to get down. Talking is starting to really, REALLY hurt. I think crying made it worse.

Before my tonsillectomy, I thought I wouldn't get upset over this. I kept telling myself "put things in perspective - people go through so much worse than this in life" but right now, perspective is futile and this pain is my pain and emotionally and physically it sucks right now.

Last edited by nikkers76; 07-11-2007 at 06:08 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2007, 10:07 PM   #2
(female)

nikkers76 HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy - Day 1: bad reaction to anaesthetic and drugs?? Crying lots

UPDATE: feeling much less irrational now. I'm sure it was all the drugs leaving my system. It didn't happen gently and hit me like a ton of bricks. I really felt I could understand what detoxing was all about, it was that bad.

I went to the doctor this morning to get stronger pain meds. I can hardly talk now either, it's way too painful and a stitch in the back of my throat was scratching my throat this morning, which made me cough and vomit lots.

Has anyone got a real problem with phlegm? I haven't touched dairy foods since before the op but I'm constantly spitting and don't know if there's anything I can do to stop it. Also, I'm day 2 post-op and the ear aches have already started. I'm hoping that getting these symptoms early is a good thing and that it means I'm going to recover quickly.

I usually have such a high pain tolerance, but this is so much worse than I ever anticipated. I completely sympathise and feel for anyone going through this. It really is dreadful and saps the life and all positivity out of you. Any encouraging words would be much appreciated. I feel quite down.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2007, 11:03 PM   #3
(female)

dalop HB User

I didn't have a bad reaction when I had mine taken out in April. The first day was actually the easiest for me. I think it's because the pain meds from surgery were still in my system. Early AM day 2 ear-aches kicked in. A heating pad helps relieve the pain. The biggest tip I can give you is push the fluids, wator at room temperature worked best for me.. Cool food like pudding and jello was also helpful. Cold popsicles didn't hurt until day 5 or so.
Good luck, it will all pass and you will be glad you had them out. My energy level is so high compared to what it was pre-surgery.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:48 AM   #4
(female)

nikkers76 HB User

Thanks Dalop. I have to agree - the first day was great for me because the pain medication from the surgery was still in my system. I knew it would be the calm before the storm and boy, was I right.

My doc has given me Tramal for pain relief, which hasn't really helped yet but it seems to have eased the anxiety, which is weird but good. I've been sitting on a bowl of pureed apple for the last hour and I've nearly finished it. I'm making myself eat and drink no matter how painful it is.

I think what's getting me down the most is I'm usually someone who's on the go a lot. I'm very independent and don't like to sit still normally. I'm not used to being couped up like this but it has to be done for the sake of a speedy and healthy recovery.

Last edited by nikkers76; 07-07-2007 at 12:49 AM.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:40 AM   #5
(male)

DNQ HB User

For sure I'd say the concoction of drugs in your system was behind being irrational. It would make anyone go off the edge.

interesting you guys all had ear-aches. I am on day-6 and have only had minor earache at times. Too good to be true ... ?

From what I've read on these forums, people in Australia seem to have a fairly good recovery, seems to be a high standard, fairly good recoveries and so on.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:51 AM   #6
(female)

nikkers76 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNQ View Post
From what I've read on these forums, people in Australia seem to have a fairly good recovery, seems to be a high standard, fairly good recoveries and so on.
We Aussies are at the forefront of medical technology after all

If you don't mind me asking, what painkillers did your doc prescribe? I was sent off with Panadeine Forte, anti-biotics and Cepacaine gargel to numb my throat before eating. I have Tramadol now but I wonder if we have liquid Vicodin here...? It seems to work wonders for many on this board.

Did you have stitches? My ENT seems to have taken out every last skerrick of tonsil that I had. I have stitches up the very back and when I was wide awake in the recovery room and he came to check on me, he told me that tonsils were "shocking" and that it looked like I'd been on "quite a journey" with them. He wasn't wrong. They turned black with my last serious bout of tonsillitis and he told me the tonsillectomy wouldn't be as painful as that bout. I beg to differ!!

Closed Thread