It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007, 11:43 PM   #1
(male)

DNQ HB User
Massive cheesey-build up at back of throat after tonsillectomy

Just wanted to know if this is normal?

I had my tonsils out last week, today is Day 6.

I am doing OK, although today has been the most painful yet. During surgery I must have swallowed lots of blood cause that night in the hopistal I vomited up so much blood it filled the bowl the nurse had given me to vomit into. Dark Red/Black bile. It was disgusting. However, since then I have been able to start to eat full meals, and walk around the house. My throat is very painful and sharp today, but overall has been manageable.

However - I have huge wads of cheesey white stuff in the back of my throat. A bit fell out before, it was white and squishy and disgusting. Kinda like what you'd get in your throat if you had a bad sore throat. I am scared it might be infection or something?

My doctor didn't really speak to me for more than 30secs after surgery the next day, so I don't really know what to expect.

I am 21, and have been on anti-biotics since the surgery.

Last edited by DNQ; 07-06-2007 at 11:45 PM.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:59 PM   #2
(female)

nikkers76 HB User
Re: Massive cheesey-build up at back of throat after tonsillectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNQ View Post
However - I have huge wads of cheesey white stuff in the back of my throat. A bit fell out before, it was white and squishy and disgusting. Kinda like what you'd get in your throat if you had a bad sore throat. I am scared it might be infection or something?
Hey DNQ, has your throat looked like this since the surgery or is this the first time you've looked at it? A white membrane covering where your tonsils used to be is perfectly normal after a tonsillectomy. However, you may want to get this checked out by the doc just to make sure it isn't oral thrush, which you can get in the back of your throat. If you can handle dairy foods without getting any phlegm problems, then I'd strongly suggest eating lots of yogurt. The good bacteria in yogurt is great for thrush, if that's what you have. It may not be thrush, but just the membrane that comes with a tonsillectomy. Get it checked out if it worries you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2007, 12:01 AM   #3
(male)

DNQ HB User

It's been there since Day 1, but today was the first day I could really see the extent of how big it is. First day the swelling had gone down enough I could get a real good look in there.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:06 AM   #4
(female)

nikkers76 HB User

It sounds pretty normal DNQ. I was able to open my mouth yesterday and inside it looks disgusting. The white membranes are huge. I can't open my mouth wide enough today but my doc and my mum had a look with a torch and said even though it looks nasty, it's the result of a perfectly normal tonsillectomy.

You might also want to check out a recent post of mine, where I copied an information sheet word-for-word that the hospital gave me yesterday re tonsillectomy recovery:

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=513203[/url]

Last edited by nikkers76; 07-07-2007 at 12:11 AM.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:49 AM   #5
(male)

DNQ HB User

Appreciate the reply!

As I'm sure you're aware it's so easy to get caught up in little bits and pieces of information. I was a little worried for a while there, but my temperature and so-on is normal, and I'm on anti-biotics so it's probably just normal recovery.

I was meant to be back at work on Wednesday, I think it'll be more like Monday week with this breathe!

Old 07-07-2007, 01:20 AM   #6
(female)

nikkers76 HB User

Hehe, that's one part I'm definitely NOT looking forward to - the bad breath! But right now, I'd gladly trade in this agonising pain for stinky breath. Wanna swap? :-)

Old 07-07-2007, 02:14 AM   #7
(male)

DNQ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkers76 View Post
Hehe, that's one part I'm definitely NOT looking forward to - the bad breath! But right now, I'd gladly trade in this agonising pain for stinky breath. Wanna swap? :-)
Don't worry - today is Day 6 and it's the worst throat pain I've had yet Easily.

I wanted to die this morning.

So far Day 5 has been the best. Day 2 the worst overall, Day 6 the worst for pain.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:57 AM   #8
(female)

nikkers76 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNQ View Post
Don't worry - today is Day 6 and it's the worst throat pain I've had yet Easily.

I wanted to die this morning.

So far Day 5 has been the best. Day 2 the worst overall, Day 6 the worst for pain.
Yeah, I'm trying to prepare myself for the ups and downs. I've heard many people say that just when they think they've turned a corner, it all comes crashing down again. Very disheartening but it's all part of the sh&tty healing process that will hopefully be 100% worth it. I can see why I chickened out 7 years ago when I was initially scheduled to have this done. But I know when this God awful pain is gone, I'll be grateful knowing that I'll never suffer from tonsillitis again. The time lost suffering from a tonsillectomy doesn't compare to the time I've lost over the years and would have lost in the future with frequent recurrent bouts that had me off work for a week or more at a time, living off Frosty Fruits and downing 4 anti-biotic tablets as well as daily cilicaine injections in the bum.

Last edited by nikkers76; 07-07-2007 at 04:58 AM.

Closed Thread