It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2007, 06:42 AM   #1
(female)

nikkers76 HB User
Tonsillectomy & scabbing question

I'm on Day 6 now and the pain has intensified greatly in the last few hours . I think (hopefully) that the scabs might be ready to come off. I know the pain will probably tip me over the edge but at least I know the healing process is getting closer to the end.

My question is this: does the throat generally bleed a little bit when the scabs come off? I'd just like to know what to expect. I also imagine that's why it's advisable to drink lots of water, to prevent bleeding??

Thanks

Old 07-10-2007, 11:35 AM   #2
(female)

Miccolene16 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Tonsillectomy & scabbing question

hey nikkers. Your scabs are probably going to fall off soon, but it will take days for them to all come off. I didn't have any bleeding at all, but my boyfriend had a lot when he had his out a few months ago. I was taking celebrex, which is an anti inflammatory, which I believed helped me a lot. Also, I sucked on ice chips pretty much constantly. That keeps your blood vessels constricted, and keeps your swelling down. I would totally recommend that. If you do start to bleed, swish and semi-gargle ice cold water until it stops. If it becomes a lot of bleeding, or is uncontrollable, you may want to call your doctor or make a trip to the ER.

It will hurt though-- be brave! You will be done before you know it. Now that I am through everything and pretty much back to normal, I am glad I did it. Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2007, 08:22 PM   #3
(female)

Samantha88 HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy & scabbing question

I am SO dreading the scabs coming off! I had my surgery a week ago today and the scabs haven't started doing anything as far as I can tell, although my throat hurts worse today than it did yesterday.

The good news is my fever is gone so I am feeling better. The bad news is I am now officially out of pain meds and I am not sure my evil ENT will prescribe me any more. I guess I will go ahead and give him a call tomorrow and tell him if he doesn't call me something in, I am just going to have to take some Advil. Then if I bleed to death he can explain to the ME why he wouldn't just give me something else. Hee hee.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
(female)

nikkers76 HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy & scabbing question

Thank for your input guys, it's much appreciated. It's good to hear that other people have and are currently pulling through. It feels like it's never going to end at times and you feel like the only one in the world suffering this pain when it's at it's worst.

When I woke up this morning (I actually had a few hours sleep - YAY!! hehe), my throat was in absolute AGONY. I felt very, very disheartened indeed and was extremely teary, dizzy, nauseas and couldn't begin to even talk. I thought icy water would help and boy, was I in for a rude shock

BUT! (yes, there's a but ) my sister went to the chemist and picked up some Voltaren Rapid 25 (diclofenac potassium). I took one and about half an hour later, the pain was reduced ten-fold. It's the only pain relíever I've had today. It's also an anti-inflammatory and so far, it's been the most helpful of all my pain meds, which have included codeine and Tramadol. I've eaten 2 slices of toast today, dried apricot pieces and 2 Weet-Bix. I have, of course, made sure the food has softened quite a bit before swallowing but it's made a world of difference to my state of mind being able to actually eat with minimal pain and eating to assist the healing process.

My ENT didn't advise me to take Voltaren (he also didn't advise me not to) but the pain was so unbearable I had to take something and I know it worked wonders after I had a tooth surgically removed last year and they cut into the bone. It's an NSAID, which some doctors say to be careful taking because of bleeding. But some docs do recommend it in small, controlled doses.

Hopefully, with 2-3 Voltaren per day, the pain will be minimal and scabbing won't be so traumatic. I'm so glad ths is working for me, it's a Godsend

Last edited by nikkers76; 07-10-2007 at 09:23 PM.

Closed Thread