It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2007, 12:25 AM   #1
(female)

Jennifer5718 HB User
Question Less than two days left until my tonsillectomy!!!!

HELP!! I am most worried about the swelling after the surgery! How bad is it? I have a panic disorder and I am scared of feeling like I can't breath. Has this happened to anyone? Thank you all so much for your help, I can't wait to read the replies!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2007, 02:59 AM   #2
(female)

nikkers76 HB User
Re: Less than two days left until my tonsillectomy!!!!

Hey Jennifer,

Not everyone gets a swollen uvula but it might be a good idea to alert the staff at the hospital to your panic disorder and your concerns and ask them if they can give you a steroid injection in the recovery room if your uvula swells. Also, sitting upright with your head slightly down greatly alleviates the 'choking' sensation caused by the swelling. This position also allowed me to nap on and off.

I'll describe how the choking sensation felt for me: it was more like having really bad post-nasal drip. It wasn't at all like having something stuck in your windpipe (which has happened to me) and completely makes you panic. It's just a real pain in the butt sensation, like you've got something stuck at the back of your throat that you can't cough or rinse away. To be honest, because of the anaesthetic in my system and the painkillers, I was too relaxed for it to even make me worry. It actually annoyed me more than anything, not unlike having a piece of food stuck between my teeth that I just can't get out. It was almost like having a bit of paper in the back of my throat that obstructed breathing. But you honestly will not choke - trust me on that.

You'll be fine, you really will. All the best tomorrow with the op. You'll be surprised how quickly the next week will go

Last edited by nikkers76; 07-12-2007 at 03:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2007, 04:47 AM   #3
(female)

Samantha88 HB User

What Nikkers said.

My uvula didn't swell at all and the only time I had trouble breathing was when I laid down with just a pillow and tried to go to sleep. Even then, it was just like my tongue relaxed too much and all I did was move it to clear my airway. Propping myself up to sleep fixed the problem.

My neck did swell a bit, but not towards the inside, only on the outside.

In fact, I was actually surprised at how much space my tonsils occupied. There seems to be tons of room in there now that they are gone!

Old 07-12-2007, 10:11 AM   #4
(female)

Jennifer5718 HB User

Hey, thank you for wishing me luck and letting me know how your surgery went, it helped me feel a little better I suppose I will be scared until its over?

Old 07-12-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
(female)

Samantha88 HB User

Yeah, the surgery is a walk in the park. It's the week after that's the killer. But once you turn that corner, it does get better. I feel better and better each day! I feel like I will be just fine at work on Monday, not that I want to go back, mind you! Just drink, drink, drink. That's the ticket.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:25 PM   #6
(female)

Jennifer5718 HB User

Thank you for your encouragement, it means a lot. I will post as soon as possible. 8 hours away

Old 07-18-2007, 01:28 PM   #7
(female)

chasity1208 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer5718 View Post
Thank you for your encouragement, it means a lot. I will post as soon as possible. 8 hours away
Hey! I am 27 yrs old and I had a tonsillectomy on July 23rd. I am on my 14th day. Just thought I would share my experience with you and others. The day of surgery I was so scared, but once I recieved the anthesia I felt more relaxed and when I woke up I had a oxygen mask on because my oxygen level was low. That was a little scary. They also handed me a red popsicle. No ice cream was allowed because it has dairy, and apparently will cause you to barf, what I was told. I got up went home, I did not feel much at all that day! I slept the entire day! Now the next day was Horrible. The problem that I had was that I would take my pain medication (liquid oxycodone) and then I would sleep for 4-6 hours, and during that time, I was not drinking water, so when I would wake up, the pain was horrible. The most important thing is to keep your throat wet all the time! I started getting a appetite after the 6th day, eating popsicles and drinking sprite was not doing it for me at all! My stomach was starting to hurt acually, so my mom recommended chicken noodle soup, I could not slurp the noodles. I then only was able to have chicken broth , but that warmness on my stomach felt so much better! I then started having alot of spit and saliva in my mouth, alot, and it hurt to bad to swallow so I spit into a cup for a few days. I have these big white patches on each side of my throat, not sure how long they will be there, or if I already have scabs? Not sure. I started to eat real food about 5 days ago, and Of course I eat alot slower now, and have to cut up everything! I lost 9 lbs, but have put back on 3 in the last couple of days. Drink lots of water! Lots! Good Luck to anyone who had this done, it is painful! But the pain gets better. I'm on my 14th day and no pain meds, and I can swallow. My voice is still not all the way back to normal, and I can't yell at my husband, but I am getting better.

Chasity

Closed Thread