It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2007, 04:11 AM   #1
(female)

sossypops HB User
Question Nasal Biopsy

I am having a nasal biopsy in 3 weeks time and have no idea what to expect. It is being done under general anaesthetic but I have no idea of recovery time/what it is like etc. It's being done so that they can investigate and take a sample of tissue to see whether my endometriosis has started growing in my nose.

Any experiences or advice on this procedure would be helpful. Thank you!

Old 07-14-2007, 09:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User
Re: Nasal Biopsy

Hi sossypops, I never have a nasal biopsy done but had nasal surgery before. I guess like for all other biopsy, they only remove a tiny bit of your tissue. Sometimes, more tissues from different locations/spots might be taken to cover a larger area for testing. A needle like instrument will be inserted and then the doctor will press a 'trigger' and the tissue sample is collected into the needle. But there are also other ways to do a biopsy.

Since your biopsy is done under GA, you shouldn't feel any discomfort during the procedure or know anything that's happening . After you wake up, you might feel sore in the throat from the tube and nose will feel sore for maybe a few days. There should be minimal bleeding. If there's a lot, there might be packings in your nose to stop the bleed but I doubt that will be the case.

Usually biopsies are done with local anesthesia, not sure why yours is GA. So since it's under GA, your body will also need to recover from the effects of GA and the time differs from individual.

I also think your doctor will ask you not to blow your nose to prevent nose bleed. Well, it would be good if you could talk to your doctor or a nurse about the biopsy. Hope my 2cents help a bit... Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
(female)

cynthia66 HB User
Re: Nasal Biopsy

I had a nasal cavity biopsy so knowing first hand I can tell you what to expect. It really wasn't painful. What my ENT did was spray a solution into my nose which numbed it and then he went in with a surgical tool and cut a small pieca of tissue out. I didn't feel it at all. The spray stung a little and left a nasty taste in my mouth. He did it right in the office. It was a piece of cake! But I can understand why you would be nervous.

Closed Thread