It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2007, 11:44 AM   #1
(female)

Jennifer5718 HB User
tonsillectomy scabs

I know this is gross but I have to know... When do the scabs start to come off? Mine are thick and white and I am day 4 post op. Does salt water help them come off? Thanks for your help everyone! One more question, when does your tongue stop hurting? Mine is so sore!

Old 07-16-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
(female)

kikibrown01 HB User
Re: tonsillectomy scabs

Did you ever get an answer on this. It seems as though I still have some scabs and am 13 days post op today. I hemorraged on Saturday night, but have no idea if it was due to the loss of a scab or not. Also can you tell me when you started to feel like yourself again?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
(female)

Jennifer5718 HB User

I am not sure because you are much further along than me. I am on day 4. I wish I could be of some help but I don't feel like myself at all. They say probably around day 10.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:02 PM   #4
(female)

kikibrown01 HB User

Sorry, I realize you are just out of surgery. I started to feel a little bit better on day 6. I returned to work half day on day 7 and then worked 6 hour days all last week. Oh I worked a 6 hour day today, just do to the hemorrage. However, I am with you, really it would be quite an oddity if it happened again. Thanks for being positivie, but really If there are any questions I can answer for you, ask away! Things are still pretty fresh in my memory, as in how long it took the swelling in my tongue to subside, my uvula ect.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:40 AM   #5
(female)

Jennifer5718 HB User

Yes, how long did it take your tongue to go back to its normal size? I am going to my Dr today to see if I can get a steroid shot to reduce the swelling under my jaw, it looks like I have two chins! Plus, my tongue really hurts, its very sore. How long did that take to go away? Thanks.

Jennifer

Old 07-17-2007, 06:51 PM   #6
(female)

Amanda121203 HB User

Thats one thing I'm worried about too... I asked my doctor about the whole uvula swelling thing and he said it's normal and really didn't seem to concerned about that and so I'm thinking that he's not going to give me any steriod injection.... Jennifer did they give you an injection at the hospital???
Amanda

Old 07-17-2007, 07:03 PM   #7
(female)

Jennifer5718 HB User

I am not sure, if he did it was right after surgery. When are you having your surgery?

Old 07-17-2007, 07:18 PM   #8
(female)

Amanda121203 HB User

I'm having my surgery on Thursday 19th... I have to call the hospital tomorrow to see what time I have to go in.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:07 PM   #9
(female)

Jennifer5718 HB User

Amanda,
It was not as bad as I thought... I promise. I am already starting to feel better and it is just day 5 for me. You won't even remember much about the surgery and I am sure you won't have any complications. This is such a common surgery. How old are you?

Old 07-17-2007, 11:25 PM   #10
(female)

Amanda121203 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer5718 View Post
Amanda,
It was not as bad as I thought... I promise. I am already starting to feel better and it is just day 5 for me. You won't even remember much about the surgery and I am sure you won't have any complications. This is such a common surgery. How old are you?
I am 23... So I know it won't be TOO BAD!! Anyway how is recovery going for you so far?? is day 5 like what everyone has been talking about?? Really painful??
Amanda

Old 07-17-2007, 11:30 PM   #11
(female)

Jennifer5718 HB User

No, day four was for me but I heal fast and am pretty healthy. Recovery is good.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:17 AM   #12
(female)

nikkers76 HB User

I'm on Day 13 now and have been healing really well since Day 7. All my scabs are nearly off now and my only concern is swelling at the back of my throat on the left side. It's a bit sore and makes lying on my side difficult to breathe. My tongue is still sore though, right at the very back on the sides, right next to my tonsil bed. I'm still having trouble getting food from out of my teeth using my tongue. Apparently, it's normal though, so that's a relief!

Old 07-18-2007, 02:26 PM   #13
(female)

kikibrown01 HB User

I am sorry I didn't answer sooner. I am now on Day 16 or 15 depending on how you look at it, but my tongue was still sore and still is tender if I try and clean my teeth and such with it. The tongue swelling is still there, I can only tell because it has the outline of my teeth on it when I haven't talked for a while. The Dr cauterized the back of my tongue thou, so that made mine huge until about day 7, so then it was finally okay to talk. Still hurt to eat and get food moved around my mouth with my tongue. However, it will get better. I remember telling myself (still do) that it can only get better from here. My uvula is now back to normal size. I can honestly say that I don't really know how the bulk of my scabs were removed. I tried to eat a bite of a cheeseburger, which proved to hurt followed by a burn, which indicated to me I lost a scab. I don't think the hemorrhage was associated with the loss of a scab so much as I was trying to get our boat on the trailer straight after a day on the river.. Too much too soon, who would have thought 13 days after surgery... Anyway, my tongue is on the mend. And my tonsils are still caves but way smaller, with white **** across them (reminds me of spiderwebs). So I would say within a week maybe I would be back to normal. Oh and I am 29, which I think I forgot to mention, I would also place myself in the 'slow healer' category, if there is one.. Just keep drinking and only eat what you want. If there is anything else I can answer, just ask away..

Old 07-24-2007, 07:58 AM   #14
(female)

Amanda121203 HB User

Jennifer..... How are you doing??? I haven't been on for awhile only when I get alittle bit of energy to check the boards and get off.... Are you still in pain?? Did your scabs come off yet?? Please let me know how your doing...
Amanda

Old 07-24-2007, 11:44 AM   #15
(female)

Jennifer5718 HB User

Amanda,
I am on day 12 and my tongue is finally feeling better. I still get ear pain a few times a day. My throat is still hurting but not that bad. I only take the T3 twice a day now. all the scabs have come of with the help of spitting and a tongue scraper. I didn't scrape my throat, just my tongue. So all in all I am doing well. I am going to the beach tomorrow to relax for a while. I used to live in Laguna Beach Ca, but my parents still have a vacation beach house in Newport. I hope you are doing okay and I did feel better for a bit and then around day 8 or 9 it got worse... nothing you can't get through remember that! The hard part is over

Closed Thread