It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007, 05:48 AM   #1
(female)

cath1024 HB User
Crunching sound when i turn my head

Hi there,

I have been having this sound for the past 6 months now of like crunching crackling gritty sound when i turn my head side to side or rotate it around in a circle. the sound stops once my head is still.

I also have thick mucus feeling in the back of my throat which i can only get out if i forcefully snort and clear my throat.

I have been to the ENT and my family dr and both say it is allergies and give me nasal sprays and send me off.

I have no feeling of nasal congestion, plugged ears or any allergy symptoms.

My husband can even hear the crunching sound when he stands next to.

I am getting very worried that maybe this is something other then anything to do with my so called allergies as nothing is making it go away.

I want to go back to my dr but im worried that she will start to get sick of me for coming in for the same problem so much ... last time i was there was 3 weeks ago.

Does this sound like something to do with allergies or the ears nose throat to anyone?

Thank you

Old 07-17-2007, 06:57 AM   #2
(male)

bweb HB User
Re: Crunching sound when i turn my head

Hi there,

I have the same crunching and crackling sound...it is coming from your neck.
It could be tension in the muscles and ligaments. For me, I find that if I slowly do circles with my head clockwise, and then counterclockwise, it eases up the sound. It takes a few days for this to work, to dissipate the tension.

As for your mucous, sounds like a different problem. Perhaps it is a food sensitivity to dairy products....allergy tests only show allergies, not sensitivities, but both can have an effect on you.

Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2007, 07:05 AM   #3
(female)

cath1024 HB User

Thanks for your reply ... i really dont think its coming from my neck ... the sound totally sounds like its coming from behind my nose somewhere ... the sound is also present when i move my whole body side to side and down ... my neck and head are at the same level without my neck even moving so i wouldnt think it is my neck.

It almost sounds like a fluid gushing around with the crunching cracling sound.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:24 AM   #4
(female)

6-paq HB User

I have had the same "crunching" sound as well. It sounds like it's at the very top of where my skull and spinal column meet(?). It's more up in the base of my skull. I have had a cervical spine MRI and have no disk problems, so mine isn't a neck issue.

I do have chronic pansinusitis and allergies. I had headaches and some slight pressure in one ear and constantly have the post nasal drip. I have had no fever, so the pansinusitis came as a surprise to me.

Did your ENT order a sinus CT scan? That may show something.

Good luck!

Old 07-17-2007, 10:33 AM   #5
(female)

cath1024 HB User

6-paq
Thanks for your reply ... no i havent had any sinus CT scans , no tests at all ... the drs keep sending me home with nasal sprays thats it.
Oh i did have a hearing test which came back normal and with that my ENT said there is no fluid in the ears.

Im not sure what pansinusitis is but i will look that up.

I sometimes have slight pressure in my left ear but no headachs and no fever either.

Does yours only make the sound when you move your head side to side and how about rotating it - mine is louder when i rotate or when i out my head back and move side to side is louder.

It almost sounds like fluid gushing around.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:44 AM   #6
(female)

6-paq HB User

My hearing test came out normal as well. My tympanometry test came out normal also. This is a test to rule out fluid in the inner ear (I did get dizzy during that test though).

Also, I have no fever and haven't for over a year at least.

I've had 2 PCPs that said that my headaches were not sinus and that my ears/sinuses were clear. It wasn't until I went to see an ENT Physicians Assistant (PA) that ordered the sinus CT scan that I found my sinus problems. Thank God for him.

I also had VNG testing for my dizziness. That indicated a vestibular problem with my right ear. I don't know if that's related to the pansinusitis.

Pansinusitis is when you have sinus infection in all of your sinuses. All of mine are infected and I will need endoscopic surgery.

My neck "crunches" whenever I move my head in any direction. It's the same intensity and doesn't sound like water, but that doesn't mean that you do/don't have sinus issues.

Don't give up! Can you see another ENT?

Good luck!

Last edited by 6-paq; 07-17-2007 at 10:46 AM.

Closed Thread