It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007, 02:00 PM   #1
(male)

ldemarinis HB User
Assymetrical Tonsil Enlargement with Tonsil Stones?

I noticed about a week ago that my right tonsil is just a bit enlarged. Being the paranoid person that I am I immediately made an appointment with my Family Doctor. He looked in my throat and said that it was only a bit larger than the other. He told me that any inflammation of the tonsils is rather noticeable. Anyways, he said that he seen absolutely nothing that he would be concerned about. He felt my jaw line and I believe my neck and said he did not notice any swollen lymph nodes. He said he believed that it was a bit of bacteria causing my issue. It should be noted that about 2 weeks ago I went to the dentist for 2 consecutive swollen taste buds(those things kill). At the appointment they said that they were nothing. I was also having some jawline pain where my wisdom teeth used to be. They found that there was a chip of tooth still lodged in the gum. I know that mouth problems can easily cause the build up of bacteria. Fast forward back to today. The past few days I have been coughing up little tonsil stones I think. Now when I squeeze my tonsil little white junk comes out of an opening in the top of my tonsil. My tonsil does not really hurt its just a bit annoying. Can this all be linked to my chip of tooth, and a build up of bacteria? I have an appointment to get the tooth removed on Thursday. I have thought I have tonsil cancer to lymphoma. Just looking for a little reassurance. I am a 24 yr old male, who just recently quit smoking(6 to 7 a day). I also have reflux disease due to a removed galbladder. Any advice or comfort would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2007, 07:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Assymetrical Tonsil Enlargement with Tonsil Stones?

You are describing tonsillitus.. I would see an ENT they are the ones qualified to tell you whether or not the tonsils need to be yanked. Mine are gone as of last Oct.. I am the healthiest I have been. While it isn't a pleasant experience.. if mine grew back I would have yanked again. You probably need anti-biotics at the least a T&A at the worst.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 07-18-2007, 09:33 AM   #3
(male)

ldemarinis HB User

Thank you for your reply! Is it possible for tonsillitis to be relatively painless though, just annoying. I always thought that it hurt extremely bad. It is just a nuisance that has been bothering me for a week. Any more info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ldemarinis; 07-18-2007 at 09:52 AM.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Tonsillitis can be varied in degree depending on the infection harbored with in the tonsils. If caught early and treated properly it may just be swollen inflamed tonsils. IF you leave it alone and the infection spreads to the sinuses and beyond you are looking at a rougher time.

The fact that you have the tonsil stones and get white stuff out of the tonsils makes me think a T&A would be best for you. But I am not an ENT. I have just seen my fair share of them and had many ENT procedures done on myself and family members.

But if you are wanting facts:

By definition, tonsillitis is an inflammation of the glands of the throat (tonsils), which results in a sore throat. Tonsillitis can be caused by either viruses or bacteria. Most cases of tonsillitis go away without antibiotic medication. In adults on 10% of tonsillitis cases stem from bacterial strep.

If tonsillitis is left untreated a peritonsillar abscess may form. The white stuff you described makes me think of this.. by definition a peritonsillar abscess is a collection of pus that forms near an area of infected skin or other soft tissue (like the tonsils themselves. The abcesses are relatively common in adults.

There is really no home care or treatment... you should go and see an ENT.

Sincerely,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 07-18-2007 at 11:05 AM.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:45 AM   #5
(male)

ldemarinis HB User

Well I just had that piece of tooth removed, and the dr said there was a bit of an infection in there. at first, before he got in there, he didnt believe that the tonsil was related. however, after he was in there he said that there is a chance that the two were related. he gave me a round of antibiotics and told me to see him in a week. i am hoping that over the next few days i see an improvement in the tonsil since i got the piece of tooth removed.

Old 07-21-2007, 01:32 PM   #6
(female)

Alyssa82 HB User

Since I was about 17 yrs old (now 25) I have had on and off again issues with my tonsils, more specifically tonsil stones. While on your antibiotics your tonsil stones may disappear but when you're finished with your antibiotics, if they reappear don't be alarmed. For 8 years I have been battling with them. Sometimes your tonsils just have caverns where bacteria can get caught up. Sometimes you don't even know you have tonsil stones. They generally don't inflame your tonsils, they hide where you can't see them and no fever is present. As often as I can I rinse with salt water and or mouth wash to try and keep the stones minimal. I go weeks without them, then all of a sudden I check my mouth and there they are. Like you did, I push on my tonsils, clean my mouth and be on my way. If they do come back on you, you can always check with your Dr. Mine never removed my tonsils because they pose no harm, they're are just a nuisance. Hope the antibiotics work for you!

Old 07-21-2007, 05:44 PM   #7
(male)

ldemarinis HB User

Yea, I think that they are forming more recently now because of the infection with my wisdom tooth issue. However, my oral surgeon wants to see me in a week to check on the tooth and the tonsil. I have no lymph node enlargements and the tonsil only hurt me a little bit.

Closed Thread