It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2007, 09:21 AM   #1
(male)

ghunt HB User
Swollen throat

I'm hoping I might be able to get some answers here.

My throat became swollen 2 days ago and is still persisting. I will have a very slight sore throat right after I wake up in the morning and/or my mouth/throat is dry, but otherwise, no sore throat symptoms. Also, there seems to be some sinus drainage but not anything big. Feels like my lymph nodes are swollen.

Now, I've had this exact same thing happen twice before.

The first time, I was 18 and a freshman in college. I had a cold and a sore throat, my throat became swollen. Cold & sore throat went away but the swollen throat persisted for almost a month. I went to the student health center, they tested me for mono (it was not), came back and looked me over and said, "We don't know what it is, take some sudafed for your sinuses." A short while later it went away.

2nd time, 2 years ago (I was 24), again had a cold and sore throat, throat became swollen and persisted for about a week so I went to the doctor. They did a culture for strep throat (it wasn't), looked me over and said, "We don't know what it is, take sudafed." 2 days after, it went away.

I should add that in both instances, I had already been taking sudafed because of the aforementioned cold. I really don't think the sudafed had much to do with making the swelling go away.

So, I am now 26, and have it again, although this time there really wasn't any cold associated with it although my sinuses had been acting up for about a week prior.

Any advice? It's just annoying because it makes swallowing food so much harder to do.

Last edited by ghunt; 07-29-2007 at 09:23 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread