It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2007, 10:06 PM   #1
(male)

KB37 HB User
Seeking partner in suffering - Palate, turbinate, tonsil, septum surgery upcoming

I have surgery scheduled for Tuesday, August 7th. I'm having my tonsils removed, turbinates reduced, palate reduced, and septum straightened. I've read about the pain and suffering involved in recovery. I'm hoping someone else is going through this at the same time so we can commiserate.

I'm at Stage 0 - Pre-op anxiety. How are you?

Old 08-03-2007, 06:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Seeking partner in suffering - Palate, turbinate, tonsil, septum surgery upcoming

Well I had all and more sinus work done minus the pallet surgery done back in October 2006. My insurance said not enough proof for the UPPP, so it was X'd. Now I am doing great even though I still have sleep apnea. I will keep an eye out for your posts and listen and comiserate as best I can.

The tonsil and pallet work are going to dominate your pain scale for the first 10-14 days.. then you will start feeling the sinus work.

***Make sure that they give you a medrol dose pak and possibly a steriodal shot around day 7 for the swelling. It is the swelling that causes the worst pain.. ear aches and stuff. So if you have the steriods the pain will be minimized.

The turboplasty doesn't hurt at all.. it causes some congestion and if you bend forward too quickly nose bleeds, but it is a breeze to recover from... I had it done once previous to the mega roto rooter I was up and functioning with a pocket of kleenex within twelve hours. I would have headaches, but use of saline nasal spray and ponaris nasal oil (emollent) helped greatly with that.

Okay, sinus pain will be greatest if they pack you and you let the packing get dry.
***Use saline spray liberally and often. Make sure your saline spray is decongestant free.
You keep things moist and it will be irritating but the packing should slide out with minimal discomfort. I had a full sinus restructure so I couldn't be packed.. this ment no bending over or lifting anything heavier than 5 pounds... but my husband and mom was packed for their sinus surgeries and they swore by keeping the packing soaked. Best nasal spray we could find was the Simply Saline Nasal Mist. The dispersal pump on it is great for uniform even coverage.

Once the packing is removed you will start to dry out due to the increased airflow resulting from your newly enlarge airway. It will be important to continue with the Saline and ponaris oil.

Hope this helps. The LisaMP guide should give you some solid advice for what to expect during your T&A and pallet trim.

Respectfully,
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2007, 11:41 AM   #3
(male)

KB37 HB User
Re: Seeking partner in suffering - Palate, turbinate, tonsil, septum surgery upcoming

Thanks, MG. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Good luck on your surgery tomorrow!

The first day you are pretty much numb with a tight throat and stuffy nose. Try and get about eight ounces of sprite down you while you are in the hospital and recovery. It really helps wipe out the anesthesia nasea and lethargy. You can try drinking it with ice and fizzy, but this is going to light you up a bit. After doing one cup cold and fizzy, I let my second get to room temp without ice added. that went down easier.

Depending on your natural reaction to anesthesia you will either want to sleep all day your first two days or be awake for around 48 hours(This is me 3 out of 3 surgeries). It is about late day 2 early day three that the swelling starts to also give you quite a pain kick as well. The swelling will reach its peak between days 5-7 this depends on your bodies natural healing rate and it also corresponds to when you start shedding your scabs.

If you are lucky to be a sleeper. Try sleeping canted on your side in a recliner or on some other elevated surface. My mom stuck couch cushions in between the mattress and box springs of her bed. My dad was a trooper about it. I slept in the recliner and my husband slept on the couch near me in case I needed him. Sleeping elevated will help with the swollen uvula which everyone gets and makes you want to gag and gasp for air if you sleep flat on your back.

Wishing you the best.
Sincerely,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 08-06-2007 at 10:42 AM.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:31 AM   #5
(male)

KB37 HB User

MG,

Thanks for keeping in touch. My surgery went very smoothly. I went into the OR on Tuesday morning and walked home from the hospital on Wednesday morning.

I'm concerned about pain managment--I have Percocet and Lidocaine mouthwash, which both work well. The problem is my doctor, who had promised "aggressive" pain treatment, has become stingy with the meds. We apparently didn't sync on the meaning of "aggressive." I'm trying to be conservative with my meds and will make another appeal for more pills on Friday. I really don't want to run out over the weekend.

I've been dozing but not really sleeping, waking up every two hours, usually immediately after swallowing. I'm staying hydrated and eating more than I had expected. I'm having trouble urinating normally--no pain, but a very slow stream and difficulty emptying what feels like a full bladder.

That's my report. I'm glad the procedures are actually done so I can deal with the recovery head on, rather than in my imagination. I'll see my ENT on Tuesday and will ask for the steroid shot you mentioned. Thanks for your concern, MG. Take care.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

The urination iissue is also one of those things anesthesia causes in some.. when it is out of your system completely you will be back to normal there. He gave you pain pills? I would request a script for liquid lortab. This isn't as strong as the percocet for some, but it goes down easily and you don't have to worry about the blasted pill getting stuck in one of your raw tonsil pits.

I find the nurses you call to tell you are in pain or having trouble can be a bit more sypathetic. You should call and talk to the surgical nurse if you explain your worries about running out or about not being able to swallow your pills and ask for the liquid forms, well they can right it up and I am sure he will sign it with out a second thought.

Try and relax and take it easy. If you have a question or thinks something is wrong call the surgical hotline on your discharge sheet immediately. You do have a 24 stay home buddy with you at this time don't you? Because until you are off the pain meds and past the bleeding stage you shouldn't be driving yourself.

I am glad you are eating and drinking well. And you are a luck dog for being a sleeper.
MG

Old 08-09-2007, 06:34 PM   #7
(male)

KB37 HB User

MG,

I did have my wife with me during the first day post-op, but she's returned to work. Driving is not an issue, since I don't own a car. I live in New York, and can get just about anything delivered, including fresh fruit juices and smoothies. The pharmacy delivers, too, which is a great help.

I'm not scheduled to see my ENT until a week after surgery when he'll take out the nose splints. Does that seem normal? I'm also wondering about fever--how high should my temperature be before I call the doctor about an infection?

To add to this interesting phase of my life, someone stole my credit card number and charged $700 worth of Coach bags while I was in the hospital. Luckily, my wife is really good at dealing with this kind of problem and had it sorted out in short order, at least to the point where I don't have to pay for anything I didn't order.

KB

Old 08-09-2007, 08:39 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Okay. Good to hear about the driving.. just keep an eye out for bleeding and do not be afraid to call an your hotline and get a ride to the ER via ambulance if the need arises.

As to fever. Well you are going to see a low fever 99 - 100 just as a result of the surgery itself. It isn't until you break 101 that you have to worry about infection.

As to the first appointment. I had mine 7 days PO them 14 days after that 21 days PO. Then I had one at 60 days, 90 days, and 6 months post operation.

Seven days is also about right for removing the splints. Key to an easy minimal pain removal is keeping it moist. Before your appointment really saturate it with saline nasal spray.. the ENTs office will do the same, but they sometimes don't do it completely because they are in a hurry.

Hope I covered your questions.
MG

Old 08-11-2007, 06:46 AM   #9
(male)

KB37 HB User

MG,

I'm starting Day 4 of post op recovery. I think the "dry" phase has begun because I feel more scratchy pulling in my throat and more instense swallowing pain. I didn't sleep well last night. Instead, I got out my humidifier and set it up right next to my bed. Taping a wet cloth loosely over my mouth also seemed to help a lot. When the time came to take my pain meds, I had to take 2 Percocet, which my orders allow, but this is the first time I really needed two.

Can you help me understand this phase a little better? Apparently there are scabs over the tissue that the surgeon removed from my throat and nasal passages. Do those scabs come off in big pieces or small? Do they leave new, raw skin below them like a scab on my elbow would? How do I know if I'm bleeding too much during this process? Why does this phase last 4 or 5 days?

Thanks for your insights. My surgeon, who is an excellent technician, unfortunately doesn't seem to like being bothered with questions. On the other hand, I have a personality that wants to know all the gory details. The details help me feel more prepared and comforted. Thanks again.

KB

Old 08-11-2007, 07:59 AM   #10
(female)

cynthia66 HB User

Hi KB,
I just wanted to add that it is very important to keep using the humidifier.
I know when I had my sinus & nasal cavity surgery ( do to cancer) it helped me. Once you get your nose splints out you will feel much better. Make sure to take your pain meds an hour before your appointment. I wish that I did because it did hurt. Now when every I have to go to my ENT I take a couple of Tylenol just in case.
Wish you the best!!

Cindy

Old 08-12-2007, 05:15 AM   #11
(male)

KB37 HB User

Cindy,

Thanks for the tip. The humidifier has become really important yesterday and today. I could only sleep last night by placing my head directly in front of the humidifier running on high. I have a spray mister, which I had read could be useful, but I didn't realize it's most effective when aimed directly in my mouth and sprayed on my sutures.

I will definitely prepare for my de-splinting with some painkillers. Let me know if you have any other tips. I'm hoping today is the peak of the pain cycle and that it gets easier from here. The splints come out on Tuesday.

KB

Old 08-12-2007, 10:26 AM   #12
(female)

Genie1 HB User

Are you flushing your nose and sinus out with salt water? Did the Dr. tell you to do that? It really helps. I just got over sinus surgery about 6 weeks ago.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:19 PM   #13
(male)

KB37 HB User

I'll start using Entsol saline flush after the surgeon removes the splints that he sewed into my septum to keep it straight. Those come out this Tuesday, 7 days post-op.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:44 AM   #14
(male)

KB37 HB User

Doing much better yesterday and today. Still a bit weak and wishing I could eat more substantial food, but the pain is down, and I'm truly enjoying breathing easily through my nose. I didn't expect that to be so cool!

I think I'm out of the woods now, though I need to be careful with eating food that's too hard. Thanks for your support along the way.

KB

Old 08-19-2007, 07:17 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes! I love being able to breathe through my nose as well. I am glad things are looking up. My first big meal when I could eat real food again was steak and baked potato and chocolate cake. The day will come.

Sincerely,
MG

Closed Thread